DIY holsster advice

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by lklawson, Jan 3, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

OK, this is a specific request to those who have experience making Kydex holsters (Branth, moona, a few others).

Due to the fact that I can't find a holster that is exactly what I want, I'm toying with the idea of crafting my own. I want to draw on your expierience if I may.

Where did you get your materials and who provides the best quality materials at the lowest price. I can do my own google searches and compare prices online, but that doesn't equate to actual experience.

What are the "gotchas" that I should watch out for? Are there any commonly forgotten materials that I should make sure I get?

FWIW, I want a pancake style OWB holster with a skin-guard large enough to cover Condition One carry for my CZ52, riding trigger just above the belt with about a 10 degree forward cant and with the holster extending the lenght of the slide to the bottom but open at the muzzle.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I get my kydex from amazon. And also set screws and rivets in various size and colors. You can use spring steel from saw blades as belt clips or pocket clips or just buy them but I find them over priced. Heat gun a must as well as a lot of slide clamps and snips. And a good par of gloves like welding gloves as kydex gets real hot and you work it quickly. I have 1x1' squares but you can get bigger. I use .60 and .80 for thickness but you can get it thicker or thinner use a calipers on a bolster you like and get that size. I am making those in the pocket mag holders now and glued wooden wedges together and shaped them for all the different mags I have. Its not hard to work with really. I made those bayonet sheaths out of it.

Attached Files:

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Thanks. :)

Amazon has a bunch of sources. Is there one which you like best?

4. moona11

The cheapest with free shipping :-D .

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I still want to do one of the Mirage clear Holstex holsters...this place sells a kit.

www.knifekits.com

Here's a knife sheath

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  6. Moona, do you use a heat gun in place of an oven?

I have looked into using this stuff, but always come to the decision that i will need an old oven in my basement, Lots of fumes from what i heard.

But if i can get away with a heat gun in the garage....

7. moona11

I use a heat gun. Didn't want to use oven. Wife would kill me

8. Branth

Branth Member

I got my stuff from knifekits.com and had good experiences with them. If you prefer chicago screws to rivets so you can adjust retention, I found those at my local hardware store, but don't bother trying to find eyelets there - They tend to only have grommets and those aren't nearly thick enough to go through the kydex properly. knifekits sells chicago screws, but in larger quantities, and sometimes you just need one or two.

I found I could make a pretty decent hybrid holster, but the straight kydex OWB was more of a challenge for me. I could never get it to fit my body right. I'll probably give it another go in a while when I have some spare time and cash for materials, but I'm still pretty new at it all.

Heat gun is a must, and I used two pieces of reclaimed foam, two sections of plywood, and some clamps for a press. A toaster oven works for the kydex, but you have to be careful with it - I shrinky-dinked a lot of kydex by accident, and I still don't know exactly how. I think it has something to do with heating it up or cooling it down too fast, and the fact that I was using a toaster oven in a cold garage probably didn't help.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Could I substitute pop-rivets for eyelets and such?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
  10. moona11

Use Chicago screws like I did on the bayonet sheath and you can move then anywhere you want. I've tried the eyeleys and they don't work so well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
  11. Branth

Branth Member

I'm sure you could, but I preferred the eyelets because it allowed you to bolt on belt clips and such through them. If you have a row of eyelets on the side of the holster, you can adjust cant by just moving up or down a hole or two. Also, you could always improvise an attachment to a MOLLE setup or anything like that with some paracord.

Whoops! Accidentally edited your post instead of replying... :eek:

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I've got some eyelets which I've used for different projects, though I'm not sure what gauge & size they are. Might not be suitable for kydex.

I'll probably experiment with eyelets, chicago screws, and pop-rivets. My concern with the pop-rivets is that they my not have enough durability and my pop out with use. Eyelets are similar in concept but seem to have a more secure purchase because of the opposite side and a better flare once peened open.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. Branth

Branth Member

If you haven't already, look up PhilyEDC's youtube videos. They're super detailed and well-researched, and give recommendations on parts, too.

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

thanks, I'll do that.