Do AK stock lenghts vary?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by cicpup, Oct 29, 2014.

1. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    So here's the thing. I have a SAR-1. Absolutely love it, But... I can't keep it tucked in for the life of me. Thinking the butt stock is just too short for my crappy shooting style. So I'm wondering if there's another AK stock that would be a direct swap? Want to stick with wood (and as original looking as possible) and hopefully gain an inch or two. And since I can only obtain one online, please be as specific as possible with any suggestions so hopefully I can purchase the correct one. Oh, and no butt pads. Damn thing doesn't even hurt when it's bouncing around like a jack hammer. Plus they just look silly.

Thanks.

2. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

Try looking for "K-VAR" and they will have longer stocks. They're called NATO length.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    There are also 1" long stock pads to add length of pull.

But really...just pull it in, and get used to having your nose right up against the action. That's how they are supposed to be used, it makes those silly sights work better.;)

4. cicpup

Vermont
    A butt pad. Now why didn't I think of that?

Shoulder mobility issues. Fine line between an afternoon of fun and "Yea, one mag is enough for now".

5. cicpup

Vermont
    Are stocks pretty much interchangeable among all AKs?

6. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

For square back receivers, the stamped recievers are pretty standard. Contact K-Var and ask them if their product fits your AK.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/AKBSL-2.html

[​IMG]

7. cicpup

Vermont
    Does anybody read anymore?

Glad someone's not grading my essay.

8. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

That is as close as I could get without having it some mongrelized thumb hole 922(r) compliant monstrosity.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S94ohyErSw[/ame]

9. cicpup

Vermont
    Was hoping there was a certain Russian, Romanian or whatever stock I could swap to. Might consider a folding one.

Hey. Would it be considered tacky to swap the metal fore grip for a Bakelite one?

10. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

You'll have to get on some of the AK specific forums for that kind of help. I'm in no way considered an AK expert.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The iron curtain stuff is all the same, pretty much.

Folding might be different, but all of the ones I've tried we're not even close to comfortable.

12. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1414641636.763383.jpg
    Just trim off what doesn't look right..