Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i found me a new baby to bring home, hope be getting it in the next day or two. a 1944 m44! this will be my first 'military surplus' hell really if you dont count the mossberg its my first rifle, and im really excited, all the pics ive seen here and eslewhere have really piqued my interest in these rifles, not just the mosins but the older surplus rifles in general. so hopefully as long as i can keep the boss happy she will let me start a modest collection. (i know its almost impossible, but i can try to keep it modest!)
heres some pics from the ad... yes im excited enough to have saved the pics...

if yall notice anything to be worried about, or that i should question let me know please...
and if anyone near me is interested the guy also has a 91/30 for sale too.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: do i pass out cigars?

sadly i guess i spoke to soon, the guy quit returning emails, finally he said his brother wanted them and they are sold. honestly he had this and a 91/30 listed for 300, i think he decided the 100 i offered him and he accepted for the m44 just wasnt enough for him. so im off to a couple of local shops around here who carry both the mosins and some sks and a few other surplus arms, ill find me something i like, i figure the wife said ok for me to get a new one...ya never waste a wife approval!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts

So you made an offer, he accepted and then sometime later, he backed out? What an ass. That just ain't right. Good luck on the replacement search. I'm sure you'll find something worth while to bring home.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

some people these days have no class, i dont mean the lift your pinky and put a napkin in your lap kinda class, i mean good ole american class where when you make a deal you stick to it, where your word is as good as money. ill bet if i gave someone the ad and they contacted him and offered him full price for both, he would miraculously still have them available. who knows, just kinda steams me some people are such limp wristed vinegar based feminine cleansing product holders.

·
Registered
296 Posts

Thats a shame. Hope you posted some negative feedback on him.

Odd though, the stock almost looks like it's been painted. I've stared and stared at the pics, and just could not really make out any grain to the wood. None of my Mosins look near that smooth, and even thru the shellac, I can see the grain.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts

That stock looks a bit like a Finnish Beech stock. Beech has a very fine and pale grain.

Ron M.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

well since the guy backed out, i went to a little shop near me and got me this... paid a little more then i wanted, but if i take it to the range and it dont go bang they will fix or replace it....
im still new to this but if im not mistaken:
1944 Izhevsk plant

·
Premium Member
935 Posts

Looks to be a nice one!

Ron M.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

Like many of them the last picture shows where it was rebuilt! At the Ukraine Arms Depot. Nice M44 ... It's nice to have the weeny roasting stick built in!

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

well im not gonna cry, i paid 160 for it, i figured for what i could find with no c&r license and to purchase hand select, plus shipping, plus ffl i was looking at about 150-160 and i wouldnt be the one hand selecting(plus thats for the 91/30, i was having trouble finding any 44's).
he had 4 of the m44, about a half dozen really nice looking 91/30s ($125) and some m38 and one other version i dont remember off hand. and a shelf full of the kits. i had read on some of the websites they give you a kit with the can and pouch but no tools, so i was happy to find tools and all in mine.
in the end with some ammo, a couple of clips, and the gun it ran me under 200, and i have what i wanted, which is worth a little extra to me.

now for some questions, i was told the ammo is corrosive, and to clean it asap after shooting. so any helpful hints would be much appreciated.
second for the one that may be heresy to some, since i have back issues i plan to do most of my shooting with this sitting down, is there a bi pod that can used with this rifle that is more of a temporary thing, i dont want anything that is permanant or will damage the rifle in any way.

thanks one and all...i think i have already figured out, much like my hi point addiction, there wont be a cure for this one either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.