Do i really need to clean my HP pistols?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by misterjhpc9, Mar 31, 2016.

1. misterjhpc9

misterjhpc9 Member

I've had my jhp and c9 for 5 years now. Both have never had a failure and both are accurate as hell. Both have never been cleaned and it doesn't effect the guns performance. So I'm wondering if I even need to bother cleaning them? I feel like there on a helluva run and tinkering with anything might end that.

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Define "clean."

Mom says to basically brush out the the barrel & action, either with a standard bore brush or a bore snake, a few drops of oil on mating surfaces and dolls-head, and then done. Don't disassemble prior to 3,000 - 5,000 rounds, depending on which source you cite.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. misterjhpc9

misterjhpc9 Member

I haven't used any oil. As far as cleaning the barrel yea I have brushed out the barrel, never even considered taking it apart.

The thing just keeps on running and running.

4. Dave4903

Dave4903 My other car is a M60A3 Supporting Member

I was wondering about this also. I had always been told to never oil the firing pin channel in a pistol, but the dolls head rides in the channel. Maybe one small drop of oil on the dolls head would be enough or would a little gun grease on the dolls head be better?

5. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I clean mine after they are used. But Kirk is right on what the manufacturer said to do

6. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    No and you don't need to brush your teeth or change the oil in your vehicles, either.

7. Hi-Point pistols are inexpensive enough to experiment with. How about never clean it at all in it's lifetime to see how well it holds up.

8. IDMTfirefighter

IDMTfirefighter Member

I generally take mine apart and clean/oil after each firing. That is my personal habit. logic being that a clean oiled gun is not gonna be the cause of a malfunction but a dirty unoiled gun can. take away from that whatever you feel is of value.

9. dynapoint

dynapoint Member

Others have said what Hi-Point recommends. If you hunt YouTube [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sLamXb_UrI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sLamXb_UrI[/ame]videos, you'll find Hi-Points that have been buried in mud, then dug out, had the barrel cleared, and shot fine. These are not high-tolerance finely machined weapons, they just work.

10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
  11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I brush with a bore snake about every range trip, and blow things out with air or wipe down the chamber area and ejection port with an oily patch or two, but only take them apart to clean if they start failing.

Haven't taken many apart.;)

And before anyone gets their panties in a wad...my HPs aren't SD guns, so a failure isn't life threatening.:cool:

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I stopped wearing Panties because they never have the floral prints at Wal Mart anymore. Now I go Commando baby! ...which does seem to have an effect upon Pantsless Monday.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Everyone has different opinions about cleaning and about the products they use. But it boils down to use what you want, clean or don't clean, it's up to the individual.

14. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    I would guess (I have no personal experience in this area) that Wally World isn't the only place to get floral print panties. You could use Google...

15. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

He's to cheap to pay for shipping. Maybe we should send him panties and see what the boss has to say to him:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

16. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

You shoot HP pistols until they don't work anymore and then throw them away and get a new one. :D

17. JohanBroad

JohanBroad Member

I usually go through 200/250 rounds with my C9 per range session, and I clean it after each session.

I field strip and clean the barrel with Hoppe's, and dab a drop of Lucas oil on the doll's head and slide rails, wipe it down, reassemble and store it.

It may not be Necessary, but it sure doesn't hurt.

18. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Add a little VOO DO magic for good luck. :D

19. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

You only need to wipe her off and softly tell her she's special.

20. misterjhpc9

misterjhpc9 Member

I'd send it to hp and they'll fix it up and make it new again for you. And get a free magazine to unload another few thousand rounds through it.