Do I suck at shooting?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by damageinc, Apr 10, 2008.

1. damageinc

damageinc Guest

I'm pretty new to shooting, unless you count some bird/squirrel hunting with bb guns when I was about 10. I have recently bought a C9 and a rough rider 22. I have done pretty good at the range indoors.
    Today I took both handguns and an old Savage Arms 22 rifle from the 1950's out to the state outdoor range. I have never fired this rifle befor, but I have fired a rifle many years ago. I cleaned the rifle last weekend and wanted to see what I could do. The rifle range is 100 yards and I had a 100 yard rifle target. I fired 30 rounds at that damn thing and could not score a hit. I hit the paper on more than half the shots, but not inside the scoring rings. I then got frustrated and took my handguns to the hand gun range area and shot OK, but not as good as what I'm used to hitting.

Is 100 yards with an old .22 rifle a far range to be accurate? The wind was whipping the targets around a little but, I thought I should be more accurate than I was. The pistol target was whipping around even more and It was 75 feet away.
    I guess I'll see what happens next time I go back. :evil:

2. If the wind was blowing that could have made a difference, and if you had not shot in a long time it may take a bit to get back in practice. If you were hitting the paper at 100 yds thats a good start.

Don't give up, don't get frustrated, remember its relaxing and fun to go shooting.

3. Give it some time. Start at 25, work your way back :).

4. It takes time to knock the rust off your skills before you become proficient again dude. No worries. Take your time and get comfortable before you shoot and you're good to go.

5. Yes, you suck at shooting - Just kidding :lol:

The wind probably had quite a bit to do with it.

6. Probably the best advice. If you haven't ridden a bicycle in 20 years you don't jump on the first 10 speed you see and try to go 20 miles. Start close, dial in, improve, move out, repeat.

7. 100 yards is NOT too far. +1 on start close. 10 yards if you have to. Get a grouping nice and tight, then move back. NOTE too, you are lobbing shots out there - bullets don't travel in a straight line. When you move from 10 to 25 to 50 to 100, you may have to adjust the elevation on the shot in a direction that doesn't make sense to you. Key is, small steps and you'll be nailing it in no time.

8. damageinc

damageinc Guest

thanks for the advice! :D

9. Hello. Just to add my two cents I would say that the wind can and does play a big part in shooting at 100 yards with a .22. Other problems could be the type of ammo. Some guns prefer one type to another. Were you shooting from a rest ? Were you using open sights ? For my part 100 yards is a long way with open sights. Others may disagree. I just know as I get older I need all the help I can get. Don't get discouraged and keep on shooting. Good luck

10. so......... you mean when I get older, I'm gonna shoot even worse????? Lord, help me.

:? :lol:

11. You just have to shoot more to stay sharp and use whatever you can to help you out. I can only speak for myself and I can honestly say my eyesight is not what it used to be.

12. damageinc

damageinc Guest

thanks again. I will be taking the rifle out again sometime this week. I just took out the c9, but indoors and was ripping the center apart. I'm think the wind did have a major role in the shooting.

13. condition1

condition1 Member

funny, that was my first response too, as in, well if you HAVE to ask....
    but seriously, start over, closer targets, relax. A 22 won't do much at that range anyway, and that projectile is so light, it wouldn't take much wind to affect a shot.

14. Actually a .22 can be fairly accurate at 100 yds, but the wind can make a difference. Like you said, light round, fairly low power wind will mess with it.