Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new to me car. Been looking and found one I like. Cadillac XT5. 41K miles, 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. I told the dealer what I was willing to put down, the max payment I would accept, and the terms would be no more than 36 months.

He came back with a down payment of 1/3 of what I was willing to pay and 36 months that was $40 more than I wanted. (I can adjust that with a little more down) I drove the car and love it.

SWMBO says the car does not fit our needs, we need a mini van she says. It's not a "we" car. It's a "my" car. Her intent is basically that I buy the car, she and the girls take it over, and I will end up with the Sorrento. I like the Sorrento, but she has messed it up to the point that I don't want it. A dent here, a dent there, even a small gash in the rocker panel (this is the car she tore the tranny out of, which has now been fixed) She will mess up the new purchase too. She is hell on cars.

Her last words to me last night was "please don't buy the car".

Do I pizz her off....or not?

upload_2020-7-17_3-51-55.jpeg

Reactions: 7000al

·
Premium Member
35,668 Posts
Only you can answer. I wouldn’t do it to her, but I’d keep trying to convince her.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
Dude, buy something dependable. Do your research on them. Nothing is cheap. Lots of stuff goes wrong. You're trying to buy a used BMW. If you can't afford a new one, you can't afford a used one. If she is still driving the hooptie? Good luck with dis :lol: Get one you can sleep in.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only you can answer. I wouldn't do it to her, but I'd keep trying to convince her.
you are right of course. and I will not buy it and cause hate and discontent. But the last 2 cars I bought I have not even been able to hardly buy. The Scion she gave to our daughter, the Kia she took. The hoopty was just transportation until the Kia was fixed. the next car I buy will be mine. I will be dammed if I have to ask permission to drive it.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dude, buy something dependable. Do your research on them. Nothing is cheap. Lots of stuff goes wrong. You're trying to buy a used BMW. If you can't afford a new one, you can't afford a used one. If she is still driving the hooptie? Good luck with dis :lol: Get one you can sleep in.
nope. I am not trying to buy the BMW. SWMBO is. I tried to buy a Mercedes. SWMBO shot that down too.

She really only drove the hoopty until the tranny in the Kia was fixed. She drives the hoopty today by choice.

As for buying a new car. Worst investment you can make. Sign the title and the value drops. You are upside down. Buy a 3 year old with average to low miles and you can sell it tomorrow for what you paid today and walk away if needs be.

Reactions: Celtic

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
Find a Ford Crown Vic. Paint it to look like a used New York taxi. She won't be caught dead in it.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Why does it need to be a “we” car?
Long time ago I got SWMBO to agree to one sensible car and one fun car.
Now because of all this Ramsey jive I’ve sold my last fun car and driving her 24 year old hand me down with 230k miles.
We’ve already agreed if “my car” dies she gets another reliable vehicle and I can sell her hand me down and buy something fun for (close to) the same monetary value.
Personally I wouldn’t get the caddy though. I’d save my down payment till something really cool comes rolling by.
With this whole COVID stuff I expect prices to drop over the next 6 months anyway as people will be dropping cars they can’t afford anymore.
Dealers are going to be up to their eyeballs in repos and returns.

·
Premium Member
35,668 Posts
SWAGS nailed one thing, there’s a LOT of stuff going on in regards to sales deals, financing deals, and motivated dealers.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Find a Ford Crown Vic. Paint it to look like a used New York taxi. She won't be caught dead in it.
I've actually been thinking of a retired cop car with the pit bars :D

·
Registered
794 Posts
I've actually been thinking of a retired cop car with the pit bars :D

Be extra careful with that idea. Ever since Ford discontinued the Crown Vic, police departments have been keeping the remaining cars longer than before. Any retired C.V. that you find now is probably going to be at the very end of its useful life.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
. . . I will end up with the Sorrento. I like the Sorrento, but she has messed it up to the point that I don't want it. A dent here, a dent there, even a small gash in the rocker panel . . . She will mess up the new purchase too. She is hell on cars.
Tell her you are going to schedule a driver's training courses for her. Then go dig a grave in your backyard and prepare to have your corpse thrown into it.

Seriously, if she is that bad with cars she needs some more driver's training. My wife does not rip cars apart like that. Humility is admitting you need help and being willing to get help.

·
Premium Member
9,238 Posts
If you need a new car, you need a new car. Don't buy it against her wishes, though, or there will be Hell to pay. Big purchases must be agreed upon.

With that being the case, though, make it clear that you want YOUR car and HER car, and explain the rationale you provided in your OP. You are entitled to something you can drive without anyone else messing it up--especially since you're the one who has to do the upkeep.

·
Premium Member
8,483 Posts
Why does it need to be a "we" car?
Long time ago I got SWMBO to agree to one sensible car and one fun car.
Now because of all this Ramsey jive I've sold my last fun car and driving her 24 year old hand me down with 230k miles.
We've already agreed if "my car" dies she gets another reliable vehicle and I can sell her hand me down and buy something fun for (close to) the same monetary value.
Personally I wouldn't get the caddy though. I'd save my down payment till something really cool comes rolling by.
With this whole COVID stuff I expect prices to drop over the next 6 months anyway as people will be dropping cars they can't afford anymore.
Dealers are going to be up to their eyeballs in repos and returns.
Actually,
one can make a deal to just pay the monthly payment's interest and put the remaining amount on the back of the loan.
You'll be making longer payments but, you'll still have the vehicle without having to dodge a repoer and the payment will be less.

Helpful eldar

·
Registered
653 Posts
Isn't that what they used to call a 'station wagon'? Buy hey, if you're making the payment buy whatever you want, she doesn't have to ride in it. You buy the car for yourself and buy her a pair of nice supportive walking shoes. Tell her they are 'we' shoes.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,804 Posts
You tell her what's what. Get the car and damn the consequences.

Later move in with Trashy.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,952 Posts
What's that saying that I use all the time with firearm purchases:

It is much easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission!!!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Isn't that what they used to call a 'station wagon'? Buy hey, if you're making the payment buy whatever you want, she doesn't have to ride in it. You buy the car for yourself and buy her a pair of nice supportive walking shoes. Tell her they are 'we' shoes.
Nah, not really. More a hatchback. This however is more akin to a station wagon in function and practicality.. if a bit tall. 3rd row seat folds flat, and its FWD based on Volvos Xc90 platform
20200529_102528.jpg

20200529_102558.jpg
20200529_102414.jpg

1 - 20 of 72 Posts