Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Like I said, get a horse. Hell, get the whole family horses of their own and turn the backyard into a pasture. My ex's horse's name was Virginia Prince, 16 hands high.

Clip/Clop :D

·
Premium Member
9,308 Posts
Like I said, get a horse. Hell, get the whole family horses of their own and turn the backyard into a pasture. My ex's horse's name was Virginia Prince, 16 hands high.

Clip/Clop :D
When I get to where I can have livestock, I actually want a mule. When I was a kid, I read a Loius L'Amour novel in which the main character rode a mule. He said it was more robust than a horse and needed less food and water. It wasn't exactly for cutting, but it got him from point A to point B well enough under rough conditions, and it was more sure footed on rough trails. Also, horses seem to have an innate desire to harm themselves. My dad had to put a horse down, once, because it friggin' broke its leg on a bar just standing in the corral. The horses did plenty of other things to themselves before that.

They ride mules around the field during Army football games, and those things seem to run around well enough. They appear to move around as well as horses for most purposes.

·
Super Moderator
28,609 Posts
When I get to where I can have livestock, I actually want a mule. When I was a kid, I read a Loius L'Amour novel in which the main character rode a mule. He said it was more robust than a horse and needed less food and water. It wasn't exactly for cutting, but it got him from point A to point B well enough under rough conditions, and it was more sure footed on rough trails. Also, horses seem to have an innate desire to harm themselves. My dad had to put a horse down, once, because it friggin' broke its leg on a bar just standing in the corral. The horses did plenty of other things to themselves before that.

They ride mules around the field during Army football games, and those things seem to run around well enough. They appear to move around as well as horses for most purposes.
My little mule, Pepe:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
Somehow I don't think this particular 302 will have to work harder than a stock 350! :D

I need a new motor, the one I have is starting to leave a trail of smoke. But it has 700k on it so i guess it's to be expected!

A crate long block stock is $1800. A hi performance long block is $8500. A ready to drop into the frame blueprinted engine is $10,000. Asking price for the blueprinted long block is $6ooo. I was told he would take $4000 for it so that's what I offered. He looked at me like a rattlesnake had a hold on his toe, but did not say no. Not yet anyway. We will see. If he says no, I am going with the stock long block. One of our mechanics quoted me $500 to remove the old motor and put the new one in the frame.

I thought about dropping and chopping the truck 4 inches and removing the camper shell (obviously). Will probably Leave it like it is though. Except the color will be solid blue. I never have liked the white sides.

I was 31 years old when dad bought this truck. His gift to himself after my little brother moved out. Free from his children at last and able to spend his money on his self! Lots of memories and sentimental values. Lots of fishing trips too. Not been fishing since dad died, I have got to fix that.

Picture shows the damage from being t-boned.
So you are concerned about the " depreciation hit" on a new car but you seem to be willing to dump a ton of money into this vehicle (that you won't get back on this one if it gets T-bones again.)

·
Premium Member
9,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
So you are concerned about the " depreciation hit" on a new car but you seem to be willing to dump a ton of money into this vehicle (that you won't get back on this one if it gets T-bones again.)
Yep, you understand it perfectly. The value of the truck to me is not monetary. The car is just something I will drive for the next 10 years or so until it's time to junk it.

·
Premium Member
36,069 Posts
Yep, you understand it perfectly. The value of the truck to me is not monetary. The car is just something I will drive for the next 10 years or so until it's time to junk it.
Same way I feel about a new vehicle. With the added bonus that I have a warranty for the first 6 years, I know that it was never flooded or driven through a ditch at 55 mph, never put on a rack to straighten the frame, and no one peed on the seats.

Reactions: bscar

·
Premium Member
9,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Same way I feel about a new vehicle. With the added bonus that I have a warranty for the first 6 years, I know that it was never flooded or driven through a ditch at 55 mph, never put on a rack to straighten the frame, and no one peed on the seats.
Nothing wrong with a new vehicle if that's what you want. Any vehicle is worthless or near so if you drive it until it's wore out. The biggest difference is how much you pay to get it to the wore out stage. FWIW, I have bought 3 brand new vehicles in my life so far. One was totaled, one was worn out, the other is still being driven, mostly by the daughter. It has a bit over 300k on it starting to have troubles and would of been junked if the scrap prices were not so low right now.

used I don't get the 6 year warranty, it's usually 2 or maybe 3 years. Most any warranty is unlimited miles. It's pretty easy to get a history on any vehicle, if someone balks, then just walk away.

BTW, have you ever seen some of the new cars that come off the car haulers? Some have pretty significant damage. People are buying new and don't think about looking at the history.

Reactions: Rerun and OldOutlaw

·
Premium Member
9,308 Posts
There seems to be a point at which certain intrinsic characteristics of a well-worn vehicle can outweigh its monetary value, and that non-monetary value can make it worth rebuilding better than it was from the factory.

For instance, I have a truck that will be good for another 200,000 miles beyond the 100,000+ miles it already has. I've driven it from the west coast to the east coast in 72 hours, and I've taken it on several nine-hour road trips, too. It's carried me through 100-mile round trip daily commutes, and more recently, it's carried me through 40-mile round trip daily commutes. It's also hauled stuff for me and for others. If I have to drive a rental for several days, it feels like slipping into comfortable house clothes after wearing a suit all day when I climb back behind its wheel.

If it ever gets to the point that it needs a major overhaul, I'll very seriously consider doing something like having a super charger installed in the new motor or adding a nice push bumper and painting the exterior with a Rhino Lining-type substance. The cost of all of that would exceed the value of the vehicle, but it be cheaper than buying a new one, and I would continue to enjoy driving a truck that feels like a set of well broken-in shoes.

·
Premium Member
9,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
This truck has been part of my life for some 30 years. Lots of memories there. Lots of fishing and other stuff. Countless trips to the beach, river, forests. Truck has a lot of sentimental value to me. I have always liked it. Even with the stock engine it has a nice throaty rumble. I can just imagine how much more I will like the sound with a little more lope to it. No, I have no intentions of ever getting rid of it.

Reactions: Think1st

·
Premium Member
9,308 Posts
This truck has been part of my life for some 30 years. Lots of memories there. Lots of fishing and other stuff. Countless trips to the beach, river, forests. Truck has a lot of sentimental value to me. I have always liked it. Even with the stock engine it has a nice throaty rumble. I can just imagine how much more I will like the sound with a little more lope to it. No, I have no intentions of ever getting rid of it.
Sentimental value trumps economic value when circumstances allow. It takes a new vehicle a long time to get to that point.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
That's kinda how my CX-7 is to me. I want to sell it when I get a new vehicle because I know they'll never give me anything for it trading it in. But at the same time, I've had it for so long that I dunno what I'd do without it

61 - 72 of 72 Posts