Do you carry extra ammunition?

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by greg_r, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. No, but I do carry a BUG

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Yes, I carry a BUG and extra ammunition

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Talking here about what you have in your pocket or on your person every day? Why do you, or why don’t you? Do you carry a Bug?

I rarely carry extra ammunition. I usually carry a BUG. What the capacity is is all I have. I rarely feel the need to carry more.

Just something I am thinking about in today’s current situation. It has not affected my mostly rural lifestyle...yet anyways. But just watching the news kind of makes you think.

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

When I'm legally allowed to carry, I usually have a spare mag on me. The exception is when I get "surprised" with a quick trip somewhere on short notice, such as running out to pick up my son from work. Then I will sometimes just drop my TCP into my pocket holster and go.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Over the last several weeks, I've taken to carrying an extra magazine in a pocket. When I leave for more extended forays for the day, I actually carry an extra pistol with two extra magazines for it in a sling bag. The reason for that is that I don't want to end up enveloped in a riot while driving and have only a limited ability to protect against being dragged from my vehicle and stomped to death. If my vehicle is disabled and I end up on foot after initially escaping a violent mob, I want to have as much firepower available as practically possible. At that point, the spare firearm, would end up on my belt in the holster containing it in the bag.

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Depending on what I wear:
    Pocket .380 extra mag for 10+1
    Midsize .380 2 extra mags for 21+1
    Full-size 9mm extra mag for 34+1
    7.62x25 two extra mags for 24+1
    Midsize .45 extra mag for 24+1

Then my Hurricane load is additional mag for the full size 9 (50 rounds).
    Long gun is my .308 with 10 loaded mags but now we’re talking evacuating in which case the spousal unit would carry an additional midsize 9 with 4 mags for a total of 40.
    No long gun as she’s actually never shot any of mine. We’ll need to change that one day.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Rabidwookie and Texas Shooter like this.
  5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Usually, no. Sometimes, yes. Depends on AO and intended objectives.

In my LOADOUT, yes, there’s extra ammo.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  6. I usually carry an extra magazine.

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Out of curiosity, why are you still carrying that Tok? What roll does it fill.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I had a Yugo M57 that I stupidly sold and for a couple of years now I’ve been carrying my 1953 CZ52 whenever I feel nostalgic.
    Loaded with hens teeth....JHP’s.
    Why? It’s about 1911 size but slimmer, 1500-1700fps depending on ammo.
    Its a hammer gun so I carry condition 2 like most my other carry guns except the mouse .380 and it’s a pretty damn cool gun.
    Enough reasons ? :D

Rabidwookie likes this.
  9. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

Living in Charlotte (burbs) if there is such a thing here,, Yes I carry an extra mag on my person and at least two in each vehicle..
    Summer carry is LCP 7+1(ext. mag)
    Winter carry is full size 1911 10+1(ext. mag) NAA Black Widow 22 mag. (Boot holster)

10. Pistolkitty

Pistolkitty Supporting Member

I carry an extra mag in my pocket. I was loaded with hornady critical defense, but my new love just bought me some g9's for my 380 so I switched to those.

I'm in the market for a new concealed carry though. As much as I love this little colt mustang, I am having a reaction to the metal finish on it and keep rushing up really bad where it touches my skin. I could switch to owb carry but I think I'd rather just get a new gun, lol. 9mm this time though.

11. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Yuppers. It's what I was taught. One is none, two is one. A full sized, 9, 40 or 45. No compacts. At least two mags. .32/.380 Kel Tec in the pocket (thats the first one out, pushed into the sinus cavity, turn face, wait to feel the splat) Battle Rifle and 7 mags in the trunk, even in my civilian/off duty car.

No one has ever said after a fire fight: I wish that I had a smaller caliber and less ammunition. I believe in The Power of "P".....PLENTY

TNTRAILERTRASH and Dagwood like this.
  12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I was just curious.

I used to carry my CZ52 a lot. Condition One because it's not DA and has a firing pin block safety that is very reliable. I, too, have hen's teeth.

I eventually decided on other pistols for CC, for various reasons; which we can discuss if you want.

I do love shooting it, though.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Take a look at the Sig P938 or P365. If you like the Mustang, you'll love the P938. If you are interested in more capacity and prefer a striker-fired platform, the P365 would be a great option. P365s seem to be consistently available for $499 on various sites, too.

14. missiledefender

The only reason why I wouldn't carry the CZ 52 is because I would not want it confiscated after the shooting (if the cops even show up now a days) as "evidence" only to slowly rust in the PD Evidence room. We (KCMOPD) had (I worked with them in the early 90s soooo, its been a minute, not sure now) had BARs and Thompsons, black powder guns, you name it in our evidence room. Policy was, keep it for a 100 years, then destroy the weapon.

lklawson likes this.
  15. missiledefender

Bad guys usually come DEEP now. The days of the single mugger and a switchblade is pretty much over.
    Multiple attackers (read targets), usually chemically fueled and armed like a Serbian Army Squad.

16. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I carry all the time except work. Also keep the vehicles loaded up with the items needed.

Rerun likes this.
  17. Pistolkitty

Pistolkitty Supporting Member

I carry at work too. My boss knows and doesn't care. Likes it. Recently started open carrying because of the metal on skin rash issue I'm having. Then boss yelled at the guys at the other location to tell one of their poop dicks (labor only dude with questionable record) not to carry at work- apparently the dumb dumb open carried on a delivery to a residential homeowner. I inadvertantly made it ok by open carrying myself. But on the nursery property not on private property. Boss doesn't blame me, just doesn't want anyone else doing it associated with our business.

Think1st and Rerun like this.
  18. greg_r

we dont have anything in our work policy prohibiting carry.......of course I know who wrote the policy ;)

TNTRAILERTRASH and Think1st like this.
  19. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I generally always carry one extra mag with me. I really would like to carry a bugout bag. Shit is gettin crazy and one gun one extra mag just doesn't seem like enough.
    I don't carry in my place of work, but my gun is always in the car. I may have to rethink that as well. What they don't know...

20. greg_r

Looks like I am in the minority. I figured I would be. Why really surprises me is so few carry a BUG.