Do you carry extra ammunition?

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by greg_r, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. No, but I do carry a BUG

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Yes, I carry a BUG and extra ammunition

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. Rerun

Rerun Member

What's a 'BUG'...?

eldar

2. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Back-Up-Gun.

I have been carrying my LCPII behind my wallet in that flimsy POS Ruger supplied holster. I don't use it as a primary carry.

As much as you might hate a Glock I don't have any of their single stacks. One fact remains, even my G26 with a factory 10rd can feed out of a 17rd back up. I can now go all the way up to 34+1 with the yet to be tested Amend2 mags. When Magpul releases their drum mags and they work reliably my carbines just might get some.

As much as I hate my Sub2000 I may resurrect it and place it in a back pack. I have a shitpile of MCarbo enhancement parts that need to be installed.

Rabidwookie likes this.

3. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

BUG = Back Up Gun

my theory is despite what you carry, magazine or speed loader, a New York Reload - your BUG - is quicker.

VikingPower likes this.
  4. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

Watch the videos while you're doing it. I put in the new trigger, trigger guard, and stainless steel feed ramp. There's a spring (I think mag release?) they forgot to mention in the video I watched so just keep your eyes open. I had to backup the video a few times to make sure I had it right.

The only thing I don't like is that every time I take mine down to clean I have to use a wood dowel to reset the trigger. Now that I know it it's not a big problem.

TNTRAILERTRASH likes this.
  5. Pistolkitty

Pistolkitty Supporting Member

My new man keeps many bugs. He open carries on his person and then has at least 3 others in his truck.

1024Megabytes likes this.
  6. Rerun

Rerun Member

Sounds like an average pick'emuptruck guy.

eldar

Rabidwookie likes this.
  7. Pistolkitty

Pistolkitty Supporting Member

Oh he is FAR from average, lol

SWAGA and Rerun like this.
  8. Rerun

Rerun Member

Saw that coming once I pressed "Post Reply".

eldar

Rabidwookie and Pistolkitty like this.
  9. I have about two or three magazines loaded for my long guns at home. Each magazine has about seventeen to twenty-five rounds loaded in them. If it starts getting ugly in my area I may load up more.

Only thing I can carry at work is brass knuckles because security randomly searches our cars as I work on a military base presently.

OldOutlaw likes this.
  10. but wutaboot ur EDC LOADOUT [​IMG]

11. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Check the weapons regs on that installation. Every place I was stationed prohibited brass knuckles. Getting fouled up over a something being found in your vehicle during a gate check would suck. If you've already checked the regs and know you're good to go, then that is great.

1024Megabytes likes this.
  12. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Here if your not charged or found not guilty you get your weapons back.

Think1st likes this.
  13. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I’d rather carry a nickel plated 1917 Colt 1911 but that’s the one that got away.
    :(

Rabidwookie and lklawson like this.
  14. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I did, then I didn't. Usually have the G20 running 15+1, the S&W Border Guard in my off hand pocket, spare mag if I'm wearing cargo pants, otherwise I'm fighting to my truck for another 30 rounds of 10mm and 300 rounds of 5.56 with the 20" AR.

Rerun likes this.
  15. My EDC is a Springfield XDs in .45. With all of the crazy crap going on I carry 2 spare mags. You just never know what you'll run into any more. Rural places USED to be safe.

TNTRAILERTRASH likes this.
  16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Statistics seemes to indicate that whatever I have on hand at the moment is what I will be able to use. The vast majority of the time I won't have the ability to bring a reload into play or a backup gun. By the time I need a New York reload I'm in grappling. Consequently I carry one gun, three knives that I can deploy quickly, pepper spray, a flashlight, and, yes a reload. But the reload is more for malfunction then that I think I'll be able to dump a magazine, reload, and keep going.

Peace favor your sword ( mobile)

Rerun and splatterin succotash like this.
  17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Pretty sure the statistics don’t say you won’t be ABLE to use a reload....they say you won’t NEED a reload, as statistically, unless the police are involved, self defense usage is less than four rounds start to finish.
    But that was pre-2020 insanity, the good old days.

Think1st likes this.
  18. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Agreed, we are not invincible. Although some think they are.

A Typical carry for me might be the KAHR CW45 and the Ruger LCRX. 6 + 1 in the 45acp, 5 of the 38 spl. Typically I should never even get through the KAHR Mag, much less need the Ruger, unless as you said there was a malfunction.

But staying in the "hood" some time back taught me that trouble can come in groups. Some of the recent news footage confirms that. Would I need both of the carry’s and 12 rounds? Doubtful. If it advances that far I am likely toast anyways, but I have a chance.

like the man who asks out the lady and gets the reply "only if you were the last man on earth". He has a chance.

19. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Edited the poll title and broke swaga's "suppressing fire" tangent off to it's own thread.

Rerun likes this.
  20. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Hence, the reason I have only recently started carrying an extra mag or even another gun with two extra mags for it in a sling bag on some occasions.