Do you flinch some times when you shoot?

Discussion in 'Training' started by kwiley5, Sep 16, 2014.

1. I found an article by Ron Avery in which he discusses the types of flinching from shooters, even experienced shooters who are not afraid of the recoil.

http://www.policeone.com/pc_print.asp?vid=1883895

I have found that one out of 10 times I can see the muzzle drop a small bit when I pull the trigger on an empty cylinder. I am not talking about dry firing, I mean when I am shooting and have either a dummy round or no slide lock. Ron points out that one of the reasons shooters have that issue is the mental tension build up when trying to hit small targets.
    It is a good read.

2. Only flinch when being shot at...

3. I know I have a flinch with my 1911. Good article.. gave me some ideas that might help. Thanks!

4. I've never shot anything large enough to make me flinch - .22 LR, .38 Special, 9mm Luger, .45 ACP & 7.62x54R. I take a comfortable stance, firm grip (not 'death grip'), lean into it a bit, squeeze the trigger and roll with the recoil. Then again, I'm not much of a hard core target shooter - I just like to get out and 'sling lead'. :D

5. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I have a few 357 Sig snap caps that I load for practice. Really helped with my accuracy. Never needed them with the 9mm.

6. SWO1

SWO1 Member

Its more of a problem with me in bullseye pistol, and bench rifle. tension build up or as I call it, anticipating the break. In Target shooting a light pull helps, around 2 lbs for the pistols and under 6 oz for the rifles. In hunting or "other" shooting situations I don't think so, you are focused on the game or "other" target. NOBODY in the world has a Rock Steady hold, free hand, 2 hand, or off the bench. After about 2 seconds the wobble area starts getting bigger, and bigger. You tend to loose focus on sight picture and start thinking about trigger break, IMO anyway.

7. punkazzINC

punkazzINC Prince of Pistoleers Member

Wow, that was a great article. I'll definitely have to share this one. :)

8. Branth

Branth Member

Everyone flinches. I have to regularly train myself out of it, and I don't know anyone who doesn't flinch every once in a while.

It's easy to fall off the wagon, so to speak, but luckily, it's easy to get back on, too.

9. I find that I can shoot 100 rounds of .45 with no pre or post ignition dip in the barrel, but when I am trying to hit 1/4 inch targets with my 9mm, I get a little mental tension build up and see a slight post ignition dip if the chamber is empty. I can dry fire or dummy round practice all day but it still crops up once in a while.

10. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

That is why I like zombie head targets. As long as I keep it in the skull I win. :D

11. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I'm not sure shooters (maybe novice shooters) are afraid of the recoil as much as anticipation of the recoil. Train your mind that there is no such thing recoil, just the gun having a little fun.

12. j_inmon

j_inmon Member

I find I flinch, but not when I shoot. It's when someone else next to me does. The range I go to is an indoor range, and even with ear protection it's still pretty loud. I should and do expect it, but it still happens.

13. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Try doubling up..... Plugs and muffs.

14. j_inmon

j_inmon Member

Good suggestion, I'll have to try it.

15. cope

cope Member

I typically dont flinch when Im shooting..... if anything Im maybe too relaxed when the shot fires

I do however flinch when anyone around me is shooting whether Im also shooting or simply watching (too much foxhole time I think)

my biggest problem I have found is trigger control...... I tend to do the typical knuckle movements which forces the gun slightly down and left.... I think thats due to the fact that Ive always owned rifles or shotguns.... which I fire left handed (poor eyesite in right eye so left handed is easier to scope)........ but I fire handgun right handed since its my dominant hand

Ive just learned to adjust and aim high and right........ puts me right on target

seems simpler than trying to learn new finger movement

16. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

I know I do that with my shotgun and pull left........I think nest time I go shooting with the handgun and shotgun, I am just going to point in the general direction of the target and relax and work on this, not stress trying to hit dead center

17. The mental tension of trying to hit small targets is a point Ron Avery made. I think that is my problem, as the slight muzzle dip occurs only when I am trying to hit small targets. I can stand back 7 yards and hit a 1 inch target with no problem. When I reduce the target size, I can see the muzzle dip a bit after the trigger squeeze (post ignition) on an empty chamber or dummy round when I don't know it is empty. I think I am over thinking the shot.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

18. Yeah, I agree. Combat accurate shots are surely easier to make than precision shots. I like using body targets to practice those because my degree of precision is dictated by the target and accuracy becomes binary; in or out of the kill zone.

19. zen

zen Member

When I'm not counting rounds I will see the gun dip forward when I try to fire when the slide is back. I think I am definitely flinching.

20. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    I have to work on not pulling shots down. I don't know that it's just about recoil, but I'm certainly anticipating in some way.