Do you have high triglycerides? A warning from my doctor

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Browning 9 Guy, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

I thought I was reasonable fit for my age despite carrying too much weight in the mid section. However, a blood test last month revealed high triglyceride level (235) which, according to my doctor, was in the "prediabetic" range.

According to many Internet sites, a daily walk of at least 1/2 hour dramatically lowers triglycerides - so I've been doing just that. That and diet.

Triglycerides don't cause diabetes, but when they're high, they're a signal that your body is becoming resistant to insulin. Exercise and diet reduces insulin resistance. The high triglyceride red flag then comes down.

Any middle aged folks like me should have triglyceride level checked. We all want to be around to see our grand kids grow up.

2. cktvt

cktvt Member

Howdy - When I read your topic in the "newest threads" column, I thought well there's another damn spammer, probably selling OTC drugs, so I came over to flag it. Nice to see it was one of us after all. :D Good luck with your lipid profile - I'm in the same boat.

3. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

High triglycerides

Yes now that you say it, it looks like an ad. I wanted to put a bug in everyone's ear about weight, lipids and relating health hazards. What's your triglyceride level? (I'm asking the whole Hi Point team here on the forum)

4. cktvt

cktvt Member

Just went over it with my doc and my numbers are good. The only one slightly below par is HDL (it was 36 and he wants it to be 40). I forget my triglyceride number - I wanna say around 120. Anybody else?

P.S. I'm on Lipitor which makes a huge difference - without it my numbers suck (triglycerides 400).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  5. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

My doctor has always been of the opinion that there is no such thing as pre-diabetes. You either are or you are not. Our insurance renewed and thanks to Obamacare, my premiums went up and my coverage went down. What used to cost me just over $100 per month is now just under $500 per month.

Can't afford that so I started taking some herbs and spices that supposedly help with diabetes. I already exercise at the YMCA and watch my diet. My A1C had dropped 2.6 points at my last checkup. It is now just above my target level.

Needless to say, I was delighted. The Doc still admonished me for discontinuing my meds, but did say to continue what I was doing, along with taking my insulin. He also gave me some information that should significantly reduce my medicine bill.

6. Back2School

Back2School Member

Thanks for the head's up. Getting checked is always good.

I am diabetic and on 2 differing meds in the morning and 1 in the evening - no insulin yet though thankfully.

Funny story though, all my numbers are normal - triglycerides included. Just my glucose is out of whack. When I went through diabetes education, they kept telling me the importance of eating right and how important it is. So I asked how the focus on me eating like my 90 lb nutritionist (I am 6"3 and 300 Lbs) would "fix" my diabetes. The nurse and the dietitian both jumped in that it will fix all my numbers, triglycerides, cholesterol etc and when those are normal , my glucose would fix itself. Having just got those numbers (for the second time in 6 months), I asked how can that be? all of mine are fine. They told me I was wrong, so I showed them the docs paperwork. Their only answer was "well you are in the 5% that come in here and their numbers are fine".

I am not saying this to convince people not to try things, but IMHO, I personally think its more genetic than the docs want to admit. People always want to focus on weight, yet they cant explain why all overweight people don't get it or why a lot of thin people do. I have even had idiots try to tell me you get it from eating too much sugar. Way to much misinformation out there on this topic...

7. Back2School

Back2School Member

FYI - there is evidence lipitor can CAUSE diabeties!
    http://health.usnews.com/health-news/news/articles/2013/05/24/could-statins-raise-diabetes-risk

Have seen ads for a class action lawsuit :(

What herbs and spices? I would be willing to try it too :)

8. cktvt

cktvt Member

The problem with correlation is that it doesn't necessarily imply causation. Does taking statins really contribute to diabetes, or, are the kind of folks who have lipid problems (often due to poor diet and inadequate exercise) the same kind of folks who are likely to get diabetes, regardless of what drugs they take for other conditions? I'd say the second scenario is more likely but I do appreciate the fact that the experts think it's worth looking into.

Did I take a wrong turn on my way to the Hipoint Forum and end up on the Gloomy Gerontology Forum?
    Next up: Which tennis balls are best for the bottoms of your walker.

9. Back2School

Back2School Member

Well I for one, have that frame of mind right now :(

I am in FL taking care of my dad and trying to decide if its end of life care or not. I may be here till the end of the year. He had been in the hospital 3 times in 4 weeks and my mom is also not good enough to take care of him.

Since I usually work from home anyway, I am the only one who can be here to help my parents. It just affects work when I have docs appointments for him. Which is 3-4 per week at the office and 2-3 at home right now.

Luckily for things like the FMLA or I would have had to choose between work & family.

10. cktvt

cktvt Member

I'm very sorry to hear this Back2School - your Dad is always your Dad even when you get to be an old guy youself, if you know what I mean. I'll say a prayer for you both.

11. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that brother.... My prayers for him and you.

12. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I am taking a capsule that contains cinnamon and chromium and another that has a mixture of fish, flax seed and borage oil.

13. Back2school, you have my admiration and best wishes taking care of your dad. God bless you both!