Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you keep a live round in the chamber of your hi point pistol?

Just wondering, since some say that it isn't the best idea safety wise......

·
Registered
514 Posts
nope....chamber empty.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Chamber empty, mag loaded, safety off. That is how all of my weapons that I keep loaded are kept.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
All my defense weapons are kept with chamber full, all others chamber empty.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
When I carry, always keep a round chambered. I figure if I'm in a situation where I have to draw, the second or two spent chambering a round is probably a second or two I can't afford to take.

That, and I have absolute confidence in my GLOCK not firing unless the trigger is pulled.

G

·
With the hi-point. No.

With my GlOCK, yes. With my 1911, yes. With my Kel-Tec, yes. With my J-Frame, well,.............yes.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yep. Chamber full, mag full, safety on. It's either on my person, within reach or locked up at all times.
Same here. I don't have my CCP yet, so I don't carry, but they are locked up and nearby.

All others are under lock and key, chambers/mags empty.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If the weapon is intended for self defense, it would be -IMHO- fullhearty to not have a round in the chamber. The notion of racking my .45 and hoping the round doesn't jam before I get the first shot off is as terrifying as having to use the weapon in the first place.

Mag in
Round Chambered
Safety on
Flick-pull-bang

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I'm going Wednesday to get my CCW. I plan on carrying with one in the chamber, 10 in the mag, and safety on. After thinking about it, if I had to use it then I wouldn't want to have to waste the 2-5 seconds it takes to chamber a round. If my C9 isn't on me it is locked up.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Ok, since this is on topc ( sorta) I'll ask it. does the Hi point use any type of positive retention system for teh firing pin? I am currently rebuilding a STAR arms model 30M, and one of the things that I noticed about it ( heard it was the same way on a 1911 as well) is that teh safety features a slip collar that once engaged basically locks teh firing pin. as long as teh safety is engaged that mechanism makes it impossible for the firing pin to strike teh bullet. I have never tore downmy C9 to take a look, so does it have a similar mechanism? or does the safety simply lock back the slide?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm going Wednesday to get my CCW.
[humor]
Wow, I am going Wednesday to take my CCW class, too! Maybe I'll see you there! :? :) :D :lol:
[/humor]

To all others... Wish us luck on our CCW testing. :wink:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
All defensive guns are stored/carried with one in the pipe. Others are stored safe.

G

·
My HP has 1 in the chamber and 10 in the mag with safety on. It is always on me or locked up.When I get dressed in the morning it is part of my routine just like my glasses. One of the first things on and one of the last off.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I never heard this or read this. Sort of makes no sense - we'll give you permission to carry a loaded gun, but not ready to use in an emergency situation? And by "concealing" I'm assuming you mean CCW - being a permitted CCW holder.

·
Registered
68 Posts
one in the chamber , 7 in the mag, because it is hard enough to ccw without the added length of the 10 round mag. Besides I believe I can hit what I'm shooting at in the distance of 7 yards. The other 3 rounds wouldn't be use in most probabilty.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is there anything that makes a hi-point any less safe to keep one in the chamber compared to other striker-fired pistols (ex: glock)?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Kel Tecs: one in the chamber
Revolvers: Fully loaded
Everything else: Chamber empty, mag loaded, safety off

1 - 20 of 51 Posts