Do you know this bayonet?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by boice1971, Nov 4, 2007.

1. I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on this large bayonet/sword? It was given to me by my grandfather when I was about 12-13 and I just dug it out of a closet at my parents' house. Nobody in the family knows anything about it, where he got it, etc., and grandpa is no longer with us. So if you know anything about it please let me know or if you can direct me somewhere to find information on it.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The blurry pic is a square turned 45 degrees.

2. i dont anything about it but at first look it kinda reminds me of somthing japanese.

3. Maverick

Maverick Guest

To me it looks like a French Chassepot sword bayonet.
    27 1/4" overall, 22 1/2" blade

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was designed to fit on the French Model 1866 Chassepot Rifled infantry musket. Manufactured form 1866 to 1874. Brass hilt with spring steel latch. Crossguard is steel and has a screw-type tightening arrangement on the muzzle-ring. The lower quillion is a hooked “blade-breaker†type. Blade is steel, single-edged, fuller (both sides), with a re-curved or “yataghan-shape.†The arsenal, month, and year of manufacture on the back edge. The scabbards are blued sheet-rolled steel with a ball finial.

This is the most widely copied of all the sword bayonets. Many countries - including the United States, Egypt, Belgium, and Argentina - have manufactured or used very similar bayonets.

For more info:
    http://arms2armor.com/Bayonets/fren1866.htm

4. Maverick, Did you get that from a website, or if it's your's, do you know of any sites with good info. on them? The only thing I see different is mine lacks the rivets/pins on the handle.

Thanks

5. Maverick

Maverick Guest

I had an idea of what it was, so I knew what to look for. I edited my above post to include a website to get you started.

6. Boice1971, from the stamps on the blade and hilt on your sword/bayonet, it looks as if you have an original sword there. You may want to take it to a Metallurgist and get it appraised, or a mueseum curator could be able to help you. I doubt it's worth a million bucks, but you never know what it's worth.