Do you load a magazine to full capacity?

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by Chartiers, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Was wondering if you carry an HP, do you load a magazine to capacity (8 in a 8 mag, 10 in a 10). It makes sense that you should, but I noticed at the range today that I got several miss loads when magazines were fully loaded. The slide failed to load as it couldn't slide the first round out of the mag. When I put 6 in an 8 mag I had no problem. The magazines are three few months old and came from Mom, and I always keep them loaded per suggestions to help break in the spring.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Keeping them loaded isn't enough on it's own to break them in. Need to unload and reload them periodically. Once they're broken in you'll have no problem with them fully loaded.

3. MotorCraftGT

MotorCraftGT Member

Yes, 7 rounds of 45 ACP.

4. jcwit

jcwit Member

Been shooting my reloads in my C9, yet to have a problem with feeding, yes I load them up with 8 rounds.

BTW the reloads are cast 120 grain round nose, sized to .357.

5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Full, maybe need to take the mag apart and clean out any grit and lightly oil it.

6. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I always fully load my mags, have had very few problems with any firearm.

7. Thanks, I give that a try.

p.s. There was a shop at the indoor range with new and used weapons. I picked up and handled an M1 Garand rifle. I don't remember it being that heavy while carrying one around during Army basic training in '62. :)

8. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

We are getting older or gravity is increasing take your pick.

9. jcwit

jcwit Member

Sure it wasn't a M14?

10. It was a M1.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  11. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

damnnnnnnnnn...............At Ft Bliss, I think I ended up with my pop m16 from one of his Vietnam tours, actually, I think I got his pillow and blanket too.

You guys stuck with the m1 get total respect

12. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

My first M60 was a Vietnam era weapon. It had a tendency to have run always. I tried to shoot it like Rambo one time and it started I fell into my fox hole and it landed wedged between my face and helmet. Beat the crap out of me luckily I only had about 50 RDS in the belt. Everyone was layin in the grass laughing while I got my a** handed to me. But I sure miss the old girl.

13. jcwit

jcwit Member

Reason I questioned it was I trained at Fort Knox in April of 1965 with a M14 and the M16's were already being issued to combat troops.

Odd that they issued Garand's for Basic Training in 1961.

I have a fully correct M1 Garand in my collection and am the Armorer at are American Legion for our Honor Guard.

I do note after a little research that the M1 Garand was officially retired in 1965.

14. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

The Garand is another gun I wish I would've gotten when they were cheaper....

15. raubvogel

raubvogel Member

I ended up getting me a M1 in 30-06. Got it as a humble way to honor all those who carried it in harm's way... before they get all melted away.

I want to say it feels about as heavy as a Lee Enfield but heavier than a FAL? Maybe I am just imagining.

I would consider getting another in 7.62x51 to keep company with the FAL

16. We were one of the last companies to be issued the M1 Garand during basic training at Fort Dix in 1962. After basic I was assigned to a missile battalion and was issued a M1 Carbine. The carbine felt like a toy compared to the Garand. :)

17. If I remember my history correctly, the M14 in 1961, had only been in production for a handful of years and was just entering service with select units, such as the 101st Airborne. Production ended in 1964, after 5-6 years of protracted development and delays. I always felt that the M14 and M16 should have been in production and service alongside one another. The SPIW project was too far ahead of its time.

18. jcwit

jcwit Member

The M14 was put into active service in 1959 thru 1964. However, the rifle remains in limited front line service within all branches of the U.S. military as an accurized competition and sniping weapon.

19. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    So you are 70+ years old, Mr. Chartiers?
    My Dad was in during this time, he spent a lot of his time in Germany at Wiesbaden Air Base. Saw a UFO there one night, too! :eek:

9 in an HP, Sir! :D

I have always fully loaded mine, no problem so far.
    I guess I need to cycle my loaded new ones, per CicPup's advice!

20. Almost, be 70 in 3 months. Left for Army basic training 6 days after graduating high school.