Do you need an avatar?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Strangerous, May 1, 2008.

1. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I believe I can help...

Some time ago I created my 1st avatar... It was simple and to the point. For those who were not around at that time, this is what it looked like:
    [​IMG]

My second attempt was a little bit better:
    [​IMG]

Needless to say I wasn't happy with that one... it was missing something... MOTION!
    [​IMG]

Then again I felt the need to create an avatar again but I really really like my motion one... So I made one for a forum member, If he wants to, he can remain nameless for right now, and PM me a request to redo it. I did score a few points with rimfirehunter, and it started off as an argument between us (He likes these "discussions" for some reason). He wanted the Southern Cross in his background instead of plain white... I thought I could do this for him, and I did, but then RFH had to come up with a different color for his name to be in the avatar... We tried white, grey, and dark grey, but none of them really popped off of the background... until we discovered GOLD (Yellow):
    [​IMG] The Original Avatar, as it was given to me... ...To the approved by RFH version: [​IMG]

I have since learned the biggest mistake when it comes to getting details out of something so small. I was doing these in Paint, the paint utility everyone has on their Windows OS'd computers... It's not a bad utility, but when you create really sharp, detailed images in paint (which is ".bmp" based) and save it as a ".jpg" it loses quality... I found this out when I uploaded the .bmp's to my Photo Bucket account. I'd say about 20% of quality is lost forever due to the "compression". I have since then mainly used my "Arc Soft Photo Studio" for making avatars, and have had outstanding results with saving high quality ".jpg" files. It even lets me adjust the quality of the .jpg file prior to saving. I choose 100%.
    I made this one just to advertise this little adventure a little bit...
    [​IMG] I wanted to make an avatar that would show a quality photo, with any text, symbols, colors, etc. that you may want, here I even messed with the transparency settings. I love working with layers, and will hopefully be able to get my "Spanning Desktop" soon... I love multi-tasking!

Here's another... It's a little bit different from the others...
    [​IMG] This one is simple, straightforward, and to the point. You don't have to have any writing you your avatar if that's what you want, but then again if you want the entire thing to be text, so be it. I believe that this avatar has nice qualities about it, and who knows, Someone might take it from me and use it on a DE forum... who knows?

Here's the last one to show you folks... Again I took a picture and make an avatar with it. This time instead of it being the entire avatar, it is the background. I added text, different fonts, many different colors, and crop’d it.
    [​IMG] Can you See the "Real tree Camo" in the background? [​IMG] How about now?

If anyone wants a custom avatar, Post a detailed description in this thread, and PM me with your email address. I will send you a PM telling you when I get to your request. As soon as I am finished I will email the avatar to you. From there you may be 100% happy and keep it, or delete it and email me with what needs to be changed. It is important that you put your avatar on a site such as photo bucket, but it's more important to keep a back-up copy on your desktop, my documents folder, my pictures folder, or wherever you see fit. If you name it as I do mine "Strangerous-HPFF" it's easy to find if you have to use the search feature from your start menu.
    If you have a special pic that you'd like to have made into an avatar, link me to it in the PM or this thread. There's no charge for avatars... It's free, because I want to see what it's like having to be creative for a while... Nobody would ever pay for an avatar anyways. If you're one of those folks that has to do something in return for any nice gesture given to them, then too bad. This is me giving <avatars> back to the place I love come to every day. It doesn't matter if I browse the photos, read the posts, or chat in the chat room to relax and unwind before going to bed, I appreciate everyone here for the amazing advice, support, jokes, stories both sad and funny, and most of all for just being here. It wouldn't be the same without you folks.
    I'll be on later while I'm at work... I will browse the forum as time allows until I leave there at midnight EST. I really hope I get some participation out of this. You don't even have to use the avatar I make... Just tell me in the request that you may not use it but you'd like to see what I can do with your ideas, all I ask is you give me feedback on what you think of the finished image.
    I'm off to bed now. Again... Thanks guys.

2. ..... and if you want a "movie", I can help there too.

3. p7196

p7196 Guest

I want one of Alvin from Alvin & the chipmunks holding an ak47 .

4. Very very cool! I dislike the motion ones, seems they distract me and I can't concentrate on the information I'm reading. But dang guys, that's some good work above. :)

5. That's nice of you guys to offer. Avatars aren't particularly important to me--if you look at mine you can tell![​IMG]

But, I'll think on it, and if I can come up with an idea I'll ask. It would be really cool to have an avatar that someone was considerate enough to make special for me.

You know, something that would fit with my personality...
    [​IMG]

Got any ideas? :wink:

6. Peter Sellers from Dr Strangeglove LOL

Or remember in the same movie where Slim Pickens is riding that nuke down like a cowboy? That would make a cool one.

7. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Hey p7196 is this close enough? :lol: :lol:

[​IMG]

8. p7196

p7196 Guest

well yeah! i like that. I tried to make one but all I could find was a beaver.

9. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Hey Mr. Panoz, funny man... you're funny... So funny I made you a new avatar...
    [​IMG]
    I can't say too much, because I'm not that good at making them yet.
    WHO'S NEXT??!!
    :lol: @ Panoz77.. He's all like " :!: :shock: :!: " and I'm all like :lol: ;)

10. I also made my own avatar. there have been a couple of diffeernt variations, including these, some of which I did for me, some I did for others:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I am actualy working on creating me a new avatar, as well as a sig bar, i just can't keep a good idea for one yet. I would be incorporating teh same essential themes in teh new ones as I have in my current avatar. teh battle flag, and Forrest, who is my personal hero.

11. p7196

p7196 Guest

I have a design in mind and I can produce it. The problem is the program I have can not reduce it down to the rediculous size this board requires.

12. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Let me know what you want my good man.
    BTW: Doesn't that rule only apply if HPFF has to host the Avatar?

13. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Download infranview, it's free, easy to use and you can size to whatever, it's a great program.

14. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

You know who you are...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. freedom

freedom Member

LOL well... you may not like the size the forum holds you to, but there are forums out there that go even smaller and a picture is all you can post. Here you can put pictures in your sig line, Some forums you can only put words and a darn few at that.

HPFF is probably one of the best gun forums around.

16. Dude, you're right about the forum hosting avatar size. I host my avatar with Photobucket and it works like a champ. Don't worry about the size, unless it's 300 pixels wide. As long as it's not insanely huge, post it up.

17. p7196

p7196 Guest

thanks Primal didn't know I could do it that way.

18. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Um, p7196...

p7196 wrote:
    I have a design in mind and I can produce it. The problem is the program I have can not reduce it down to the rediculous size this board requires.

Strangerous wrote:
    Let me know what you want my good man.
    BTW: Doesn't that rule only apply if HPFF has to host the Avatar?

19. i simply shrank our flag down...i would love a new avatar, with a
    southern theme of course!! do you have any suggestions?