Do you prefer the AR platform to the AK?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by wizard, Sep 27, 2015.

1. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

There was another good thread running on this so I didn't want to hi-jack
    it but which do you prefer AR or AK? and what do you like or dislike about
    them?

I've never owned either one but I had a buddy who had a AR that had a
    shortened barrel that he got with his tax stamp. He also had a Romanian
    WASR AK.

After playing with both of them an afternoon I liked the Romanian AK
    better. Its what I would have got for myself.

Which one do you prefer?

2. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

They both have their place. The AK just works. I kind of think of it as a peasants rifle. The AR is generally more accurate, I can get less than 1MOA from mine. The AK is accurate enough though. Most AK's I have shot have been 3 or 4MOA.

I'll take the AR for hunting and everyday use. In a post apocalyptic world, I probably want an AK stashed somewhere just in case.

3. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

AK all the way. I've carried both series over seas. AK always works...cant say that about the AR. Mine sat in the back of the Hummer all deployment, my A2 didnt work at Riley and they still deployed me with it. I picked up a Krink as soon as I could.

4. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I came upon that very question about 2 years a go. I was UNABLE to make up my mind, so I got one of each & threw a FAL into the mix, just in case?

Attached Files:

5. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

I like this idea :)

6. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I still want to replace the FAL that I had to get rid of before going to Kaliforniastan several years ago. With that being said, I have two AK-patterned rifles and one AR, and there are some different justifications for each.

The first AK-patterned rifle I got was an IZ-132, which is probably the best thing to have in Kaliforniastan. Out there, you have to have a bullet button if you have any evil features like a pistol grip, and the lack of a buffer tube lends the AK-pattern to mounting a traditional stock much better than an AR does, meaning that with an IZ-132, you can have an auto loader without a bullet button.

In free America, where you can have an auto loader that accepts detachable magazines, the choice comes down to which scenario will drive the choice. 7.62x39 and 5.56 are both pretty prolific, so the availability of either after Zompoc would be pretty high. As far as effective range goes, unless you plan to be the designated marksman for your Zompoc survival group, either one will serve you well, given the ranges at which you would end up needing to defend yourself or hunt for food.

Speaking of food, though, the availability of any special rounds would be low, and FMJ ammo would be the order of the day. If that were the only kind of ammo available, the 7.62x39 FMJ round would certainly take a deer more effectively than a 5.56 FMJ round.

Safety wise, the AR has a convention AK beaten. If you want to click the safety off in a hurry, the AR safety is much better positioned. You can easily thumb it off fast enough that you could get a shot off as if it weren't even engaged. When training for reflexive fire with the AR, I've never had the safety slow me down, and it has never slowed anyone else down in the classes. There are, however, AKs that have thumb safeties mounted on the left side in the same way that the ARs do, but those particular rifles cost upwards of $1000. There are also AKs with ledges on the lower part that allow the index finger to flip it down to fire, but most AKs that come with those also cost a bit more than the average ones do.

Magazine changes are arguably faster with the AR because of the ease of sliding the magazine into a well, as opposed to rocking a magazine into place as is required with an AK. Of course, with extra training, an AK could have magazine changes done as quickly, but the amount of training needed for it would have to be greater than that needed to change an AR's magazine. Getting the front edge of an AK magazine to grab the forward edge of the mag well takes a little more precision than just sliding an AR magazine up inside of a well.

Maintenance wise, the AK would be better to have in a Zompoc scenario. An AR receiver and BCG get absolutely filthy as a result of the DI operating system, while the AK receiver and BCG stay relatively clean. A piston AR changes that comparison point, though, but as with AKs that mount improved safeties, piston ARs are more expensive and have unique bolt carriers and other components to make them function with a piston.

If you want to mount optics, an AR definitely has an advantage, given its piccatiny rail. I have an AK with a side-mounted rail system that works, but it does not leave a clean profile and could snag on things or possibly get bent out of alignment under circumstances that wouldn't affect an AR's rail.

In the end, longevity and functionality during Zompoc is the best analysis tool for determining which platform would be the better choice, when discounting specialized roles, such as precision long-range marksmanship. The AK would better serve the post-Zompoc group by virtue of its ability to reliably function under adverse conditions where regular maintenance could be sporadic or cursory. The other disadvantages, as discussed earlier can be mitigated through either training or modifications to the safety.

A secondary choice would be a piston AR. Unless you plan to do something reckless, the odds of ruining the operating system would be pretty slim, and you wouldn't have to worry about replacing any unique components on it before the rest of the rifle went kaput.

In the end, one's desire to train for the operating characteristics of one platform or the other, as well as general comfort with it, would be the ultimate determinants. I say that I would choose the AK for Zompoc, but from time to time, I still find myself wondering if that piston AR might be the better choice. I switch between them for range trips, periodically, practicing fundamental skills with each, and they are both quite comfortable and effective to run.

If you were starting out and could only have one, though, the AK would be the better choice. Just be prepared to train with it for the reasons listed earlier. Once you do, you will find that it will be a reliable servant when it's needed. Save the AR purchase for when you just want to have another platform for the collection and when you want to broaden your proficiency to include another.

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    "Beginner" ;)

JK Mel! :D

I'm doing well on battle rifles, WIZ... even better on Ammo for them ;)
    Here's my new family pic of the AK bunch!

Attached Files:

8. Grant

Grant Member

The AK fits me better. I like the feel of them better and I acquire targets faster.

9. talon

talon the banned wagon

Other than when Americans call them stupid things like "krinks" (which is a made up american term and NOT an actual AK platform) the AK platform any day.
    Not as accurate past 300 yards but doesnt need to be. Can be run filthy and it wont stop working.
    Just an unstoppable workhorse.

10. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

I can't stand when people call Mosin–Nagant's moist Nuggets...

11. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

So nice! me like :)

[​IMG]

12. I love both of these rifles. However, my vote would be AK. They just don't stop.

Attached Files:

13. talon

talon the banned wagon

I dont post too many of my AK's but heres a handful.
    With the exception of the East German, these are my "commons".

Attached Files:

14. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

From the unique perspective of having been on both the giving and receiving end of both platforms, for a SHTF environment I would go with the AK.

Should SHTF, the platform needs to be able to shoot MoM not MoA and do so repeatedly and reliably with minimal maintenance.

15. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Great! You fuzzer wassers tell me I need an AK now. Shoot the ammo of the invaders.

Just so many variations I don't know where to start. And will I know when to quit???:eek:

16. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Other when Trolls have nothing better to do than snipe at other contributors....

Krink is a slang term for the rifle in the US....and?

Call it what you want and I'll call it what I want.

Krinkov is the currently used vernacular slang term in use in the US for this rifle. Americans call the MP-40 the "Schmeisser"...that’s a made up name too. So what.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  17. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

Ok I could not find a Gandalf AR15 meme ;)

[​IMG]

18. Kiln

Kiln Member

AK for me. My admittedly brief AR experience has been overall pretty negative. I remember complaining about it but can't remember if it was on this forum or not.

19. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :confused: :mad: Yes, STUPID!

The only 2 variation you really need to know is
    AK (rifle) and DRACO (pistol){Krinkov;)JK}
    We will steer you away from the bad ones, Talon helped me through
    it and all of mine are first rate! In fact, I might have "Krink" for trade bait?:eek:

Don't take it personally! He corrected me, even more directly, AND in public.
    It's really not meant personally, Talon is just setting the record straight.
    In reality, it seems you agree that the term "Krinkov or Krink" is military slang!
    You're a VET, He's a VET and I'm not gonna lecture EITHER Of Youse Guys!
    THANKS TO ALL VETS FOR THEIR SERVICE!

:D Very Nice! :D