DO you think Mom will warranty this?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by tallbump, Oct 30, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

FOund this 995 Chrome on Gunbroker. It's currently at $43. He wants $35 for shipping

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=517960743#PIC

Hi-Point Model 995 9mm No Reserve Parts #C-7

Up for sale is a Hi-Point Model 995 in pieces. It is sold for parts or a lot of repair. Definitely missing parts and not in working order. Please bid accordingly.Please see the photo's for condition. Please feel free to email with any questions or comments.

More pics on the link

Attached Files:

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Yup. Bet she will.

You'll prob receive a new ts.

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Didn't MOM put out a release saying she wouldn't warranty carbines which were put in the ATI stock?

I'll have to look to see if I can find it.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. cicpup

Vermont
    So throw it in a used monkey stock first.

5. tallbump

I thought I had heard this but wasn't sure either.

I thought about that too. But,

A- I would feel unethical doing it

and

B- even if I got over the guilt. I don't have another stock

At $43 and $35 shipping, plus shipping it to mom, it wouldn't be a bad deal.

If it starts go up much, the I don't think it would really be worth it

6. cicpup

Vermont
    Well if you're riddled with guilt and filled with confidence, most likely you just need a large care package from mom and your favorite refinishing technique.

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Maybe call MOM and ask? "Hi, I'm thinking about buying a used 995 but it's in an ATI stock and I wanted to know if you would warranty it still?"

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Most of the parts needed are going to be available for a phone call and home delivery.

If you DID have to send it in for major work...you have two easy options. Buy a TS stock, or a used classic stock, and then send it to mom...you'll get a total rebuild, no problem.

If you want to test the FACT that they DID, and one time, say the ATI stock would void the warranty, then ship it as is. Then we will finally know for certain if they will, in fact, void your warranty.;)

But so far, NO ONE has reported that they have, in fact, been denied warranty service.

9. ndindy

ndindy Member

45 (assuming it sells at that) for the gun. $35 shipping, $25 FFL,
    $40 for a new stock shipped to you, 35 shipping to the manufacturer, $20 for a mag.

So assuming those numbers are 100% accurate (which they're not), and assuming the warranty is honored... $200 for the gun.

Or, wait a bit and get a new 995 for less than $200 and not own something that looks like it was dug out of a river.

Personally, I'd go option B.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  10. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

MoM will NOT repair your gun in a ATI stock. You can put it in the old classic stock, but she will return it not repaired.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    About the second part...
    Is that an actual experience, or is that what someone told you?

I know it has been reported that "they can tell" if the gun was in an ATI stock without actually seeing the ATI stock, by the specific damage it supposedly causes...but have they actually, literally, ever refused to work on one? Have they ever sent it back and said nope, no warranty?:confused:

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Try $15 shipping to the manufacturer, a $15 FFL charge, sell the ATI stock for $75, pay $0f or the mag since they'll send one with it...now it's a $117 classic with the rare chrome receiver cover.

Sounds like a deal to me.;)

Unless Macho is actually correct.

Another way to look at it...you pay the $105 to get it, and use the parts to make your existing classic into a chromed ATI.

Sounds cool, too. Except for the issue of missing parts...the ATI is missing parts, who knows what parts are missing in the gun....it's probably a real wreck.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  13. I think I've read that the ATI stock will void the warranty, so this part I get.

Melvin, this part I don't understand? Take it out of the ATI stock, install it in a monkey stock, and Mom will not repair it?

14. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

I think he might of moonzied that part? :what:

15. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Tom Deeb's brother in law who had worked in Mansfield as a Repair Tech. He told me that the ATI stock was too rigid & they began seeing guns come in for the same repair right after the ATI stock was released. The problem was the stock would allow excessive pressure on the frame & breech. It infuriated Tom Deeb that he was having to repair guns for FREE, while ATI was making all the $$$. He even mentioned that the promag repairs & the ATI repairs were actually causing financial problems for the company. He said they paid for the return shipping many times to customers that sent their guns in with the ATI stock. Not sure how things would go now, but I would send the gun in without a stock & tell MoM to call me & I would buy a new stock to put on it? I would never tell them I owned an ATI stock.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  16. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

The problem with the ATI stock was that users would not put in the included rubber bushing, or not replace it when it wore out. The bolt would over cycle, overload the mainspring and flatten and damage the mainspring bushing. And then it would pound the zinc receiver and bolt past its limit. The stock was fine if you installed and maintained it right.
    But I wouldn't expect HP to repair a gun sent in with an ATI stock. That's just insulting.
    That's not how they sold it.

17. Kiln

Kiln Member

Right, plus 90% of companies won't warranty a gun with aftermarket parts. The ones that will usually toss all of your stuff and send it back in factory configuration. I've read about this happening from several manufacturers.

18. ndindy

ndindy Member

Glossing over a couple things there. IF you can find a $15 ffl (locally it's $25-50), IF you can ship for $15(that's less than 1/2 of what UPS charged me for the last long gun I sent), you're still missing a stock as you'll need to buy one to send it back in, and a de-blued rusty cover isn't what I would term a 'rare', and assuming that the manufacture will just take that trainwreck and make it right for free. And you'll still have 1 mag. :laugh: But ffl rates etc are definitely variable, I've gotten more than 1 transfer for free.

My last 995 'project' was in better shape, think after messing around with it and getting everything together, I ended up $10 ahead and after selling it netted a cool $15. I tinker so it's not about the money, but far from my best investment.

Even with that mess at $115 (It's already $117 TYD this am) at I'd still personally rather spend $200 on a new one or at least in out of the box and go to the range condition, assuming I'm actually planning on using it.

Doing the work myself and assuming less than $25 in parts (WAG there), assuming again that with the missing parts replaced it's safe to shoot, I'd say $75 tops, in my hand including shipping and FFL (or pickup), is about right. After that I have no interest.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  19. Kiln

Kiln Member

Imagine doing this with a vehicle. Yes I bought a truck...well it's actually various old parts that sort of resemble a truck, and I'd like to send it in and get it repaired.

Here is a pic:

Attached Files:

20. tallbump

Yeah, I don't think I am going to worry about this.

Since I sold a few guns, and I want a carbine, i figure if I could score a good deal, I might try to make it work.

I think this isn't the one though

Funny, I actually like the ATI stock now. I used to hate them. But I don't trust myself to repair it, even with free parts, so I am going to have to pass