Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to take a conceal and carry class and I plan on getting the wife some pistol training. From what I have read the Hipoints are just as good as the higher cost pistols. While I could afford one higher cost pistol, I need two.

So, do you carry your Hipoint?

Do you trust your Hipoint to protect you and the ones you love?

I am leaning towards the 40, since I understand the 40 magazine also works in the carbine.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Personally I don't carry my HP's because I have something else that fits a little better for me. There are some here though that do carry theirs and they trust them.

I do. I have about 300 rounds through my JHP and a little more than double that through my C9. My JHP currently serves house duty.

I am leaning towards the 40, since I understand the 40 magazine also works in the carbine.
The magazines for the .40 JCP are interchangable with the 4095.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I don't carry but I do take my C9 with me when I'm on the road and staying at motels cause I trust it. Heck I even have a S&W 357 and 500 and they work great too but I'm putting hundreds of rounds through my C9 a month and it becomes second nature shooting it. When I'm at home my go to gun is a shotgun with 00 buck and a few slugs.

But any gun would work as long as you know it like the back of your hand and put alot of rounds through it.

So whatever you get ........... just keep shooting it ......... and it will protect you :devilsidesmile:

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I may not carry my HP for personal protection, But at home or when I am traveling I would use any one of my HP pistols. I have put enough rounds through them that I know I will hit what I aim at. I know the gun will function without a hickup. For me, the reliability and dependability of the HP is worth having around.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I always thought this was a funny kinda question and Im not sure if the OP meant it quite this way but, I have heard many people say that HP's were OK but they wouldnt trust thier life to one. I have always wanted to know what kinda car those people drive?, what kinda tires they have on that car?, if they have after market 5 point restaints in that car? Do they take emergency evasive driving classes?
It just seems odd to me that people feel they have to have the top of the line firearm, ammo, tacticool accesories, and pistol training courses to "trust " their life to, when in accuallity the likelyhood of you ever needing to defend your life with a firearm is very slim.
But they dont feel like that same kind of dedication to top of the line safety and dependibility is not applied to any other aspect of thier life.
My JHP is dependable, shockingly accurate, and I can afford to drive it :D
Its better to be driving an early model Volvo down the highway of life than walking down the side of the road, sure its kinda ugly but atleast you are protected from the other guys out there.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Absolutely. I wouldn't carry it if I didn't think so. I now often carry my 1911 just because it is more comfortable, but the jhp 45 was my primary carry for a couple years, and I wouldn't hesitate to make it my primary again if I no longer had the 1911.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, what you are all telling me is pretty much what I needed to hear. I have Been reading to many "other" forums and thought the best place to ask would be right here and get the facts from the people that shoot them.

Now comes the tough part, what Caliber and thats a whole other debate, which always ends up, get what you can shoot best.

Time to go see which one fits my hand the best. The 40 sw is calling my name though just because it would be nice to have the carbine and pistol using the same magazines.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Good choice on the 40 esspecially if you are going to go with the 4095 I have the JHP and a bit of buyers regret wish I would have gone with the JCP now but at the time I thought the 4595 was going to accually go into production before hydrogen powered cars would :D

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Yes, I carry my C9 everyday and everywhere I legally can. I trust my life with it.

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
I not only carry mine concealed, I am an Armed Security Guard and I use it for duty as well. Over 3500 rounds and it is still 100% effective!

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Not only do I trust my HP with my life...

It actually HAS saved my life. Without that pistol, I honestly would not be here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone, what you are all telling me is pretty much what I needed to hear. I have Been reading to many "other" forums and thought the best place to ask would be right here and get the facts from the people that shoot them.
If you ask for more info from many of those who bad-mouth Hi Points, they've never owned one, or even, in some cases, fired one. They take a look at the price and decide the quality must be bad (it's not) or something. Or they simply parrot what they hear others, who have never owned or even fired one, say. You did right to come here to ask, from people who DO own these guns.

Now comes the tough part, what Caliber and thats a whole other debate, which always ends up, get what you can shoot best.

Time to go see which one fits my hand the best. The 40 sw is calling my name though just because it would be nice to have the carbine and pistol using the same magazines.
If the 40 is calling you, that's the one you should get. Me - I wanted a 9mm, and the C9 is the one that goes with me target shooting every time I go. It's not my every day carry, because it's not exactly skinny, and neither am I! :devilsidesmile: My clothes aren't baggy enough to hide it. I do have an Outside The Waistband holster for it that I recently picked up, so I can maybe conceal it under my coattail or something. So listen to your heart, and get the 40. You'll love it!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Heck yeah.

Haven't had problems with mine (barring the break-in period for the mags). They're solidly built. There's nothing that leads me to believe that it'll fail. If I was having problems with it ftf, fte, or stove piping... then I'd be doubtful.

But there's absolutely no logical reason why it wouldn't suffice.

I don't carry, but as a home defense countermeasure, I give it a thumbs up.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I didn't carry my c9, but it would've been the 2nd weapon I'd grab for home defense. .....right behind my 12ga pump.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I do not carry my HP. I have lighter, smaller weapons for carry, because concealment is important to me, and I am not a large guy.
My JHP is my bedside gun, primary home defense. Shoots accurate, lots of power and a heavy round. I trust my life to it.
I trust the life of my wife to it. I cannot think of any greater way to show trust in a firearm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would prefer a shotgun for home defense for all sorts of reasons, but my C9 is my primary home defense weapon at the moment. I don't carry at the moment (though that might change), but I wouldn't hesitate to make my C9 my carry gun. It may be heavy and large, but it's reliable :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
I am about to take a conceal and carry class and I plan on getting the wife some pistol training. From what I have read the Hipoints are just as good as the higher cost pistols.

In my opinion this is true. I have owned both and once my C9 was past its brake in period it has been 100% reliable

While I could afford one higher cost pistol, I need two.

Nothing wrong with getting more for less. You might also have enough money left over to get some ammo :)

At least a third of the time. I switch out my carry gun from my C9, to my FireStormMini9mm or my Beretta 380.
The weight of the C9 does not bother me a bit. I only wish the C9 held more rounds but since it does not, I carry an extra mag.

Yes, It is a CCW of mine as well as my nightly bed side gun. The bed side is full time.

While the 9mm mag does not switch out between the pistol and the carbine. The 9mm ammo cost a lot less than the 40SW. You might consider the C9 as it will afford you more range time in the cost of ammo.
Just something to think about.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts