Doan magnesium firestarter test w/ video

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by IndianasFinest, Jan 20, 2008.

1. I added this tool to my BOB's fire starting portion. It was pretty cold at least for around here (-4 w/ the wind chill) this morning. Having the day off I decided to see if I could get a small fire goin....

[​IMG]

This thing works pretty good, and for the $9 I paid for it it's deff. worth it. I have decided this year I really need to get off my a$$, and test all the items in my BOB to make sure there worth having in there. I also used my Gerber hatchet that I jus recently bought to cut up all the small tinder I used. Another posative review for that as well....

2. hey that worked pretty well. I haven't used mine yet but I've one one of those(along with some Vaseline soaked cotton balls) in my kit.

3. Good Video!

I keep at least one mag bar with my kits but also keep something similar to the metal match as well, also have water proof matches and a few bic lighters. Cant never have too many ways to make a fire during the winter in my opinion.

One thing I found out about the mag bars is you need to use a thin metal striker tool on the ferro rod, using thick bladed knives or especially stainless blades will damage the ferro rod and render it useless rather fast.

The link and pic below is almost identical to my keychain strikers.

http://www.countycomm.com/FIRESTARTER.htm
    [​IMG]

4. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Member

I've used a broken piece of hack-saw blade as a striker and it works really well. The teeth shred the block and the back strikes lots of sparks. As to vaseline soaked cotton balls, they are a mess not to mention a pain in the butt to carry. I found a mixture of patroleum jelly (vaseline) and wax melted until it has about the consistincy of soupy peanut butter mixed into the cotton will cool and not be a sticky mess. You just have to fluff the fibers up and lay the metal match on it and it lights very well and burns longer than just the vaseline.

On natural tinders, cattails work ok, but they don't burn long. They do however catch a spark once you break them and they get fluffy. You need to mix dry grass, shaved cedar bark, or something else to keep the flame alive right away. I also tend to light one of the trick birthday candles so the wind won't blow it out and set it aside so when i smother the fire, I can relight it without the work. Your mileage may vary.

Take Care and Stay Safe

5. 10-4 on the hack saw blade, works great. I just use the cotton/wax method works best for me.

6. +2 on the hacksaw blade as a striker.

I prefer cotton balls coated in Vaseline for tinder. It's a bit messy but catches a spark and burns long enough to get your small twigs going. I keep the coated cotton balls in 35mm film cases or old prescription medicine bottles, both are water tight and do not leak Vaseline during the heat of summer.

7. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Member

I was out yesterday, and while I had some problems with my carbine, I used a Spark-lite to start a fire with no effort. I hadn't used one much and the thing was incredible. They were tested on the equipped to survive website http://www.equipped.org/firestrt.htm and included in their survival kit because they work so well, and one handed.