Doctor Fired Back at Gunman in Hospital Attack

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by Rachgier, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/shooting-hospital-philadelphia-injures-24701204

Here you go Geek. Your request for an "untrained" civilian stopping a mass/spree killer has been filled at the cost of lives.

A doctor who was grazed by gunfire from a patient in his office at a suburban hospital on Thursday helped stop him by apparently returning fire with his own weapon and severely injuring him, but not before a caseworker was killed, authorities said.

The patient opened fire after entering the office with the caseworker, District Attorney Jack Whelan said. Witnesses reported hearing yelling before the gunshots.

Several hours after the shooting, investigators had only limited information on what happened inside the closed office but believe the doctor, a psychiatrist, "from all accounts, would have acted in self-defense," Whelan said.

The doctor, who suffered a graze wound to his head, "faced a situation where his life was in jeopardy," Whelan said.

Yeadon Police Chief Donald Molineux said that, "without a doubt, I believe the doctor saved lives."

"Without that firearm, this guy (the patient) could have went out in the hallway and just walked down the offices until he ran out of ammunition," Molineux said.

The dead caseworker was identified only as a 53-year-old woman who had entered the doctor's office with the patient before the gunfire erupted. Police said they were trying to find relatives to notify.

Two guns were recovered, Whelan said. Authorities said the motive for the shooting was unknown.

The patient, who was critically injured and was taken into custody, was identified as Richard Plotts, an Upper Darby resident in his mid-30s.

The prosecutor said Plotts had been involved in previous incidents with staff, but he did not know their nature. He also said he did not know if that is why the doctor had a gun or if the doctor would have been required to have a permit.

After the door of the office was closed, staff members heard loud arguing inside, opened the door and noticed the patient had a gun, Whelan said. They then closed the door and dialed 911. Gunshots were heard a short time later, just before 2:30 p.m.

After Plotts emerged from the office, another doctor and a caseworker helped wrestle him to the floor of the hallway and grabbed his weapon, Whelan said. By that point he had already been severely wounded from several shots, he said.

"They acted vigilantly. They acted bravely," Whelan said.

The exchange of gunfire occurred on the third floor of the Wellness Center at Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital, a 204-bed community teaching hospital just southwest of Philadelphia.

Authorities said there are no surveillance cameras in the doctor's office or the waiting area outside. They also said the center had no metal detectors.

"Do you evaluate that now ... in light of this incident to make sure people are safe, especially in what can be a dangerous environment?" Whelan asked.

Patients waiting in the first-floor lobby reported a tense scene when police arrived and ordered everyone out. Most of the patients were elderly.

"I dozed off, and I heard the cop shouting, 'Come on, come on, get out!" said Millicent Russell, 73, of Lansdowne, who was waiting for a 3 p.m. appointment. "There were people with walkers and canes and stuff. All these cops were outside running here and there with these guns."

2. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

BOOM goes the dynamite! Thank you Rach for helping dispel liberal myths. Guns can and DO save lives. Most police miss (this has been pointed out countless times) but their guns can save lives too.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Sad how the media yet again seems to want to talk about gun free zones.:rolleyes:

"The exchange of gunfire occurred on the third floor of the Wellness Center at Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital, a 204-bed community teaching hospital just southwest of Philadelphia.

Authorities said there are no surveillance cameras in the doctor's office or the waiting area outside. They also said the center had no metal detectors."

"Do you evaluate that now ... in light of this incident to make sure people are safe, especially in what can be a dangerous environment?" Whelan asked."

Yep....that's what I want...cameras to show the masked guy in a hoody that shot everyone so they can play it on the news and scare everyone, and a metal detector, so that as he shoots people, we can be secure in the fact that we now know he had a metallic object that wasn't a knee or hip replacement.::cool:

Idiots, I tell you.:rolleyes:

4. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Curious to see how this plays out. In PA there is no clear law as to whether a no gun sign has any legal authority.

Maybe this case catching national media attention, will settle that issue.

The general consensus seems to be that if you are caught carrying in a gun free zone, you can be asked to leave and if you don't, you're trespassing.

Some say it is automatically trespassing simply for ignoring/disobeying the law.

5. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

I can't believe you guys fall for this fiction. It was a GUN FREE ZONE! That means no guns can be in that zone. The story is a hoax!

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

6. Clearly this is as fake as AK'S in California.

7. Tchort

Tchort Member

They had something on the news here in chicago area this morning about this. Was glad to here some one shot back. To bad he lived (last I heard this morning), now my dads taxes will go towards housing this idiot in jail. Would suck if hoax.

8. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

The story appeared on page A5 in The Blade (Toledo) today (7/25/2014). It was an Associated Press article from Darby, PA.

It noted that a Mercy Health System spokesman said, "The hospital's policy bars anyone except on-duty law enforcement officers from carrying a weapon on its campus."

I wonder, if the hospital will demand the psychiatrist, who defended everyone else in the hospital, to himself have a psychological evaluation, and promise never to bring a concealed weapon into the hospital again.:rolleyes:

9. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I would sue the hospital for not providing adequate protection as they ban personal firearms. They assume responsibility for protecting everyone when they ban firearms.

10. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

Now THERE'S some right thinking! It's very interesting that we haven't heard from the three or four regulars who are anti-gun and very pro-liberal progressive leftists on here.

This doctor did THE RIGHT THING. Period. End of story. He was severely wounded himself but managed to stop the shooter from using the dozens of remaining bullets to kill more people. He is a HERO, plain and simple, and no law should be able to prevent or punish what he did. In fact, what he did even falls in line with the Hippocratic Oath. (as opposed to they hypocritical oath nobama swore.)

I dare anyone to try to refute all of what I just said.

11. Branth

Branth Member

Good story.

To be fair, though, do we have evidence this was supposed to be a mass shooting as opposed to a specific target?

12. shepherd321

shepherd321 Supporting Member

The shooting was real. My prediction is that the anti gun media will sweep this under the rug starting now. Gun free zone, bs. Many here in PA want to see a test case for the lawful purpose on school property let alone some business putting up a sign. Laws should be written that if you have the public in your business and have a gun free zone you are financially responsible for any violence that occurs. Kind of like a stand your ground laws that the criminals can't sue but in reverse that if you have gun free signs you get sued more.

13. I am very happy that the doctor was armed. It is unknown how many lives he saved. I do not want to know how many more this evil man would have murdered if Silverman had not shot him three times.

14. Can you prove the 9/11 attack that crashed in PA was headed for the white house?

Well, we have trajectory and reason to believe. But no absolute proof. Yet we still consider the men and women on that flight to be hero's sacrificing themselves.

Similarly, we have a crazy person, with more than a couple bullets in a crowded place. And you question if this man really stopped a mass murder?

Admit it, This man is a hero. and is proof CCW saves lives.

Im not sure why there is so much question from the LIB's here on when guns actually save lives.

I get american rifleman every month. The section "the armed citizen" has first hand accounts of real people using firearms to protect them selves. There are always multiple anecdotes.
    You want to see how firearms protect people. read that.

15. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

The problem is that the Libs/gun control proponents see that stuff in a different light than we do.

To use this current example with the Dr. and the mental health patient. We see it as it is a good thing the Dr. had the gun, look at what he did. It also supports our argument that gun free zones aren't safe.

However, the anti's will and some already are using this as an opportunity to show how easy it is to get a gun. How did this psycho patient get a gun? We need to maek it harder for them to get one.

It's a glass half empty/half full type of thing, however, the anti's have an agenda to want to promote the half empty side.

I am seeing hit right now. I ventured into enemy territory and replied to an article on Huff Post :eek: about a woman killed by her crazy ex. They say he shouldn't have been able to obtain a gun, I say she should have had one of her won to protect herself.

Don't want to get too off topic here, let's keep this thread focus on this issue and see what comes of it. I'll start a new thread about that. And about those crazy girls on The View. And the new MILFS against Guns ad (whatever the heck they call themselves).

But so far it looks like this Doctor is keeping his job. No words yet on any legal repercussions on violating the no guns thing either.