Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just in:

http://www.theshootist.net/2009/03/dod-ends-sale-of-expended-military.html

"Effective immediately DOD Surplus, LLC, will be implementing new requirements for mutilation of fired shell casings. The new DRMS requirement calls for DOD Surplus personnel to witness the mutilation of the property and sign the Certificate of Destruction."

The net effect of removing millions of rounds of once fired military brass from the market, other than putting the re-manufacturers out of business, will be to drive ammunition prices much higher, since the demand for new cases will far exceed current manufacturers' capability, at least in the short term.

The battle is on to stop the fuzzy yellow kittens from controlling ammunition and firearms by "other means" not involving Congress. It remains to be seen how effective this will be.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
there is a huge thread on this over at barfcom. the current contention is that the demil code only applies to sales to scrap dealers and not ammo remanufacturers. it has to do with how the demil codes are applied to the type of product, whether its sold a s demil for scrap or demil for re-use.

SW

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is considerable discussion about whether the 12 March 2009, email sent by Government Liquidation (the DOD vendor who controls sale of once fired brass) to customers who have bought scrap metal and other surplus from them in the past was legitimate, or a hoax.

In any case, the email has started a fire, especially in the AR15 community, that you can read about, if you're interested. The issue is whether once fired brass must be de-militarized if it's intended for CONUS use versus overseas, which has always required shredding.

This may be an attempt by anonymous sources to get the anti-fuzzy yellow kittens people whipped up. On the other hand, it may be a trial balloon to measure response to an attempt to accomplish administratively what cannot be done legislatively.

Makes for interesting reading at any rate...

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
This topic hits home for me. The Army Depot where i work does a LOT of demil work. We also get a LOT of Range residue(brass, trash, and more brass. cal 9mm, 5.56, 7.62, and .50 cal) from troop training going on here. My department has to screen every single piece of brass for live rounds. We have been instructed to not only hammermill all brass, but to heat treat as well, unless Lake City comes in and buys the whole lot.
This does not leave us much wiggle room. Our buyers want it hammermilled. Too many accidents worldwide with live ammo and ordnance getting into scrappers yards has caused most of this uproar.

On the upside, if i shot 5.56, 7.62, or .50 cal myself, i could take 100rds. of brass home myself per week for personal use. We also get quite a few unused UTM rounds coming in every training evolution.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
there is a huge thread on this over at barfcom. the current contention is that the demil code only applies to sales to scrap dealers and not ammo remanufacturers. it has to do with how the demil codes are applied to the type of product, whether its sold a s demil for scrap or demil for re-use.

SW
Actually, according to a rep from georgia-arms it applies to all once fired brass sold to anyone. See the recent interview with the rep from georgia-arms on the guntalk.tv radio show. Available as an audio download from the guntalk.tv website. Also see the announcement on the georgia-arms website, http://georgia-arms.com/, http://www.theshootist.net/2009/03/dod-ends-sale-of-expended-military.html

Dear Valued Customer:

Please take a moment to note important changes set forth by the Defense Logistics Agency:

Recently it has been determined that fired munitions of all calibers, shapes and sizes have been designated to be Demil code B. As a result and in conjunction with DLA's current Demil code B policy, this notice will serve as official notification which requires Scrap Venture (SV) to implement mutilation as a condition of sale for all sales of fired munitions effective immediately. This notice also requires SV to immediately cease delivery of any fired munitions that have been recently sold or on active term contracts, unless the material has been mutilated prior to sale or SV personnel can attest to the mutilation after delivery. A certificate of destruction is required in either case.

Thank you,

DOD Surplus
15051 N Kierland Blvd # 300
Scottsdale, AZ 85254

March 12, 2009

Larry Haynie
Georgia Arms
PO Box 238
Villa Rica, GA 30180

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Dear Loyal Customers,

Thanks to your voice, DOD has rescinded the order to mutilate all spent cases as of 4:30 pm on 3/17/09. We appreciate the time and effort that you expended, together we all made a difference. We will be posting the email we received from DOD as well as any additional information within the next 12-16 hours. Thanks so much and lets get to work!!! Georgia Arms

Continue to Homepage

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Yeah I was just over there and saw that ... good news for sure!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts