Does a gun work underwater?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by NDS, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Some do:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-P578pnctU[/ame]

Interesting video of some Russian gear :wink:

Where can I find one of each?

:roll:

2. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

glock 17 does too. HK also makes a dedicated underwater dart pistol.

SW

3. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

That would suck to get hit with.

4. OK, a lot of firearms will shoot underwater; but not many I've heard of will function well. I've been told the 1911 works just fine underwater, but I've never tried it. Others have designed firearms for underwater use. I've never seen something like this before though.

One thing I'm wondering about is how the pressure wave would affect your ears if you actually shot these underwater. I'm thinking you'd probably have an earache/headache if you did have to use it. Notice the shooters in the video were not submerged with the weapons.

5. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I wonder if my CWP is good with that pistol at the local pool??? I'll show that kid that always leaves a yellow trail.... hmmm.... Is e-coli considered deadly force? :lol:

6. Mythbusters (mmmm Kari, sorry back to the post) did the a season or 2 ago. As I recall many fired, once. Semi-autos didn't clear the spent case under water and it seems like a few failed quite nicely.

7. Parrothead

Parrothead Guest

I've read that Glock 17s actually have marine "cups" (sorry, not familiar with the internals) that allow them to be shot underwater. I've also read that ball ammo MUST be used due to expansion of hollow points (bad thing to happen in the barrel) and that extreme care must be taken when looking at the surrounding terrain as the pressure wave can bounce back at the shooter. If done, they said that it should only be done in open water such as the ocean and that all air must be let out of the gun first.

I read about one guy who tried it in his swimming pool. Bad idea. He thought the shot would be quieter in the water, but it's actually about 4 times as loud. He can barely hear. He also suffered pretty bad internal injuries from the concussion wave hitting him after bouncing off all the walls of the pool.

8. See, broomhead, you can't shoot the algae off with your C9 in my pool! Use the brush like I showed you! :lol:

9. glock makes a special version of the G17 that works better than the normal one underwater, but I can't remember exactly whats different about it.

10. AGuyNamedMike

AGuyNamedMike Lifetime Supporter

Hmmm... Found on the Inter-tubes...

11. condition1

condition1 Member

Some manufacturers provide special seals/gaskets whatever you wanna call them that improve performance in/under water.

12. AnArmyofRon

AnArmyofRon Guest

So, what I'm understanding, is that if some one breaks into my pool while I'm in it, swimming underwater, I can kill them but I may still suffer internal injuries and deafness. But if I'm a resident of Atlantis and shoot them in my back yard I'll be okay because the shock waves will disperse better in more open water. Should I also be wear my alien abduction thought blocking tin-foil helmet. Or is that just being silly. :D :D :D

13. Kagern

Kagern Guest

Firing any firearm underwater is very, very dangerous. Someone earlier said it would be 4 times 'louder', though I'd been told that it actually increases the strength of the pressure wave by several _thousand_ times because of the density of water. It has something to do with the speed of sound being slower, and a shorter wavelength / more energy in a shorter event. The simple version is that it will blow out your eardrums, and can actually have enough force to cause blunt trauma to you internal organs. There is a GLOCK manual out there for underwater usage which says it shouldn't be done without a pressure suit.

14. Silicon Wolverine

There are several diving groups around florida that use glocks for defense against sharks. This will only work with special ammo designed for use underwater, not just off the shelf ball ammo. As far as i know the glock is the only gun that will clear a spent casing underwater without jamming. the 1911 will fire, but jam after one round.

FYI, the spring cups they are talkng about are the plastic cups around the end of the firing pin spring. they prevent hydraulic lock of the firing pin when the tigger is pulled.

there is also a section on this topic at glockfaq.com

SW

15. Jag

Jag Member

Whew, Nice thread...

Sorry I've been absent for quite awhile, but college has really been kicking my butt with finals week fast approaching...

Anywho, I saw this thread and thought I might be able to offer some insight. My brother is an up-and-coming professional diver, and he likes to spearfish underwater. Believe it or not, a person can successfully fire a cartridge underwater (obviously, it would not be a GOOD idea to fire a gun in an enclosed space underwater like a pool or a coral reef, but if you had to, like say in the case of a shark attack, it would be better than bleeding out and being eaten alive...huh, there's always a tradeoff: risk internal blunt force trauma from the shockwave, or be eaten by a predator...) without a significant risk of permanent damage to hearing or organs (so long as the aforementioned confined space isn't as much of a factor). Divers routinely use devices called bangsticks (basically a long pole with an extremely short-barrelled, single-shot firearm attached to the front of the pole; the devices are made in many calibers, such as .44 Magnum [my brother actually has one of these], .357 Magnum, .45 ACP, and even .22 LR; the diver loads his weapon on the surface with a single cartridge [they can be reloaded underwater, but the task can be somewhat cumbersome], dives, picks out a suitable target [if he is using it to hunt fish; other uses include shark defense and a potential emergency signalling device in the event of seperation from your diving group, etc.] to hunt fish and defend themselves against sharks or other predators underwater. The shockwave, while potentially dangerous, can be effectively withstood so long as proper precautions are followed.

This topic is very interesting, and due to the level of interest here (it seems, at least), I will research and write an article for us on the forum about such weapons as well as dedicated underwater firearms like the Russian assault rifle and the H&K pistol. Stay tuned for it!

Later!

Jag 8) :D

16. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Jag,
    HECK YES,WRITE IT UP!!! You Da Man!!! You never fail me when I need my intellectual fix. Don't let me down. ;)

17. So... question then. People were talking about semi-auto's not cycling properly underwater.... Would a revolver, then, work just fine under water?

18. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

With the gap between the cylinder and barrel? I'd propose not too well.

19. Silicon Wolverine

ive got a good article on the HK underwater dart gun in a book. i can see if i can scan it if anyone is interested.

SW