Does anyone have an unpopular caliber just because it's cool?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Browning 9 Guy, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Gunbroker is listing a Savage model 1907 in 32 acp for $205. Finish is original and shows little wear. The Luger style barrel is cool and the all steel construction is nice. External hammer on an overall nice gun.

But 32 acp? A sub-optimal round that's pricey to shoot, but -- I want one. It's a cool round with a history.

Does anyone have odd calibers just because they're cool?

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    They are out there, in HPFF land, but getting them in here... :confused:

3. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

Does 7.62x25 count?
    If so, I have 3 Romanian Tokarevs chambered in that caliber.

4. undeRGRound

INDY
    Oh, Yeah! I got a 10mm :D

5. 7.5 French and 32-20WCF are my biggest odd balls

6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Unpopular? Dunno? Some that are impossible to find in my area. Like 9x18 & .22lr.

7. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

.221 Rem. Fireball and .30 Herrett

8. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Well, I sorta have an unpopular caliber just because it's cool. At least I will have one in about 14 weeks I hope.

Been looking for a cowboy gun combo, posted here about it a couple of times. The wife just told me I had better go ahead and order it to make sure it got here. Just ordered a Henry Steel in 41 magnum and a Ruger Blackhawk to go with it. There were no Henry 41 magnums in stock, but we back ordered it. Got my fingers crossed!

9. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

Thats not unpopular. But you are, you blind, dirt slinging rodent! :rofl:

10. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

.308 Bellm for my Contender. Imagine a 444 Marlin case necked down to a .308.

11. Kiln

Kiln Member

British .303

It's pretty much a dead round now, supplanted by modern calibers but I've kept it because it's a solid rifle and more than powerful enough for everything I need it for.

12. Browning 9 Guy

There's a handful of states that issue 357 Sig - chambered pistols to LEO's. Just a handful. (about ten according to Wikipedia). A great flat shooting round that didn't really catch on. Like many others.

13. Browning 9 Guy

7.62 x 25 mm is a man! Those can penetrate both sides of a car and can be loaded to low end 357 Magnum ballistics.

14. Browning 9 Guy

British 303. Anything a 308 can do the Brit can come in better. The 303 served in both world wars and helped keep India under British control. Watch Gandhi the movie. 303's are featured throughout.

15. undeRGRound

INDY
    :(

:wah: :wah:

16. Tribes

Tribes Supporting Member

AZ
    Love the thump of a 500grain 45-70 projectile launched from my Rossi Rio Grande lever action. The 45-70 has Been around for 143 years.

Used in the Springfield Trap Door single shot rifle by the US Army. Then the projectile was a 405grain and Case was made of copper but later changed to brass after the Battle of the Little Big Horn. But not a common round. Too expensive to shoot on a regular basis.:)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  17. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I like the Bellm cartridges for the Contender. I shot the 7mm International Rimmed and the Bellm 300 Whisp-R in my contender. Man I miss that gun!

If you like the 444 as a parent case, look at some of the J. D. Jones offerings.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  18. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

i have a TTC Romanian and a Polish PPS 43-c in 7.62x25

19. I try not to own anything weird. My collection and money aren't big enough to justify the expense. My dad has a 7mm Mauser Rimmed.

My grand father passed away a couple months ago. I hope to inherit his 25ACP mouse gun. But I haven't gotten the heart to ask my grandma for it yet.
    It will probably sit in a box with 1 box of ammo for ever.
    funny, He only had 25 rds for it.
    when I was 14 and asked him if he had ever shot a pistol he told me about it. Took me out back and let me shoot 5 shots from it. We both agreed it wasn't worth the metal it used up. Neither of us could hit a pie plate at 15 yards. Then we put it back in the box. Now I would pay just about anything to have it, and remember that.