Does Caliber Really Matter?

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by Outlaw, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

I don't necessarily agree with everything said here, but some interesting thoughts on caliber. I still think the bigger the projectile, the better stopping power. All other factors considered. Feel free to disregard any advertisements in the article. it was not my intent.
    Note: There are also a crapload of opinions after the article. Didn't mean to include it, it was just there. But, some are interesting.

http://survivethecomingcollapse.com/3694/tactical-tuesday-the-best-caliber-for-defensive-pistols/

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  2. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

When I was about 7 to 14 years old, my friends and I use to go to an abandoned vineyard to shoot arrows at field mice. Hitting a mouse with an arrow is like shooting a deer with a telephone pole.:D

3. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

You sure you and I didn't hunt together when we were kids? :D

4. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Maybe, were you raised on the far east side of Cleveland, Ohio in the 1950's & 1960's?

5. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

If I find myself in need of a firearm, I don't care what I grab. .22 to .50, I'm sticking to my shooting disciplines and going for shot placement. I personally own .40's and 9mm's because my woman has a bum elbow from having it pinned after an MVC. She can't shoot a .45 comfortably after more then a couple of rounds. I think my custom .40 loads are a lot harder hitting (recoil) and snappier than a .45, but happy wife means happy life.

6. papataylor

papataylor Member

As some who has carried 9mm, .45, .25, and .380 i agree with the author. I can shoot any caliber accurately (heck I hit plates at 100 yards with a friend 500 s&w mag) but the caliber you have is better than the caliber you wish you had.

My .380 is much more concealable than my 9mm and .45, so I shoot .380 and have all the confidence in the world in the round. After 7 rounds of .380 to the chest, I like my odds more than the aggressors in a fist/knife fight.

7. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

I own quite a few handguns in calibers .22-.45. What I've personally found is that I can shoot most quickly and accurately with a full size .22. The lack of recoil allows 7 or 8 shots on target to be fired in the same time I could get 1 or 2 with my .45. The .22 is a little anemic though. Because of that I prefer a full size .380. The weight of a full size .380 absorbs most of the recoil and allows me to get quicker tighter groups than larger calibers. Don't get me wrong, I love my 1911s, but I can outshoot all of them with an old Jennings .380 POS.

Over the years I've gone from the "bigger is always better" camp to the "what can I stay on target with" camp. I think getting a couple of .380s on target is better than missing with a .45.

8. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

I'm of the school of "make the first round count and you won't need any more" ;)

[​IMG]

9. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

...says the midget with the Tokarev... :D :cool: ;) :p

10. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Nope, but hung out with country kids with the same hunting skills. The only thing we missed was lunch ;)
    ;)

11. I was! Graduated from Collinwood! HA!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  12. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

I went to Collingwood for the first half of the 9th grade, then my family moved a few streets away and I finished high school at Euclid Senior High School. Let's see, I think I was at Collingwood, for that half year, about winter/spring 1964. My sister graduated from Collingwood in 1962, and my college room mate graduated from Collingwood in 1967. Also both of my parents went to Collingwood; but, that was a long time ago; yet, it was still in this same galaxy.

13. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

My neighbor was telling me about the 333 theory so I looked it up. This is it>>>>

As a veteran Police Instructor of over 34 years, I will tell you that waiting for 911 to respond will "get you dead" most of the time. Violent criminals who attack you are going to take you out prior to the police arrival. WE have what we call the 3-3-3 Theory... The criminal event will occur within 3-yards of you, be completely over and done with in 3-seconds and the winner will get in 3-shots, stabs, punches, etc...

14. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

In my CCW class there were two instructors. During the class, one of the instructors let out a scream and from about 20 feet away came running at the other instructor with a fake knife in his hand. The second instructor drew his replica 45 auto and shot the first instructor. Problem was he shot the instructor just as the knife hit him in the chest. They told us later that they do this at every class but the second instructor never knows when it is going to occur. Their point was you need to have quick access to your pistol or it is useless in most criminal assaults.

15. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

It's all fun and games until a student is quicker on the trigger and drills them.....

16. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

I would say that depends upon how good of a shot someone is.

17. I graduated Jan '70. My brother was a Jan '67 grad. Small world.

18. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

I may have been in your brother's class before I left Collingwood. Was he, by chance, originally from Oliver Hazard Perry Elementary & Junior High School near E. 185st Street, before going to Collingwood?

19. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Blah-blah-blah-buy this course blah-blah-blah....
    Common sense would dictate there is no single magic caliber that covers everything.
    It's all one big compromise anyway.
    recoil/concealability/capacity/location/occupation/environment/budget dictates what is "best" for you.

A $100 .22 is better then a burned stick in the eye and we go from there.
    A .22 is obviously no fun when you're in bear country or in the badlands.

Caliber/capacity/shot placement obviously does matter....

[​IMG]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRG5fj1di9k[/ame]

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

That's idiotic. If the students aren't smart enough to simply be told about the reality is of the Tueller drill, then they shouldn't be handling anything more dangerous than a pop gun anyway.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)