Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently I've been doing this awhile, and nobody pointed it out to me because they figured I was just weird. But my brother-in-law finally called me out on it.

I have this spent .50AE shell I keep by my computer at home here. And every now and then, I pick it up and just sniff down in the chamber of the shell. I LOVE the way burnt powder smells, I don't know what it is. It's relaxing, it's euphoric, I just like it.

I know I used to do this when I was out shooting, I would pick up empty shotgun shells and sniff on it the rest of the time we spent shooting. And when I was collecting my brass back when I had the intention of reloading, I would sniff them handfuls at a time. But now it's like a reaction, I do it without even noticing myself doing it.

He told me "Your fucking weird man, I think you might be too into guns." I assured him by telling him I could quit guns when ever I want. But I think he might be right, is my sniffing problem a subconscious proof of a person being "too into guns?" And is it possible for people to be "too into guns?"

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Dude, I do that all the time as well. It's not you, I can guarantee it.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Sort of like Robert Duval in Apocalypse Now:

"Smells like victory"

Burnt powder, fresh powder, gun oil, Hoppe's. All these are part of the experience. Smell is just one of the senses and should also be indulged. Only start to worry when you begin snorting Hoppe's or spreading alox on your toast. :blink:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Your not weird man, I prefer the smell of CLP gun oil on my hands when I eat, and I sniff spent rounds all the time.

·
Registered
317 Posts
How about the smell of the little paper wrappers that surplus 7.62x54R has? I agree that it's all part of the experience!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I thought I was the only one that did that .. I also have to smell my mil surplus rounds that I keep in a sealed can .. But nothing beats the smell of burnt gunpowder ..

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Ah good, I'm not a weirdo then. I was worried there for a moment.
Hold on I think you only confirmed THIS activity is not that far out of norm...the jury is still out on YOU :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Maaso anyone else I'd say no. with you it's a deffinate probability :D

Maaso: Doc I keep smelling the spent powder.

Doc: Need more range time.
+1

Maaso,

There is a term for your problem. Your a gunaholic. And obviously suffering from shooters withdrawl. Fortunity there is still no cure for your condition.

Just keep shooting and be happy.

Walt

·
Registered
833 Posts
I keep a spent round in my desk at work I sniff it when things get too stressful and it helps relax me. Seeing how many other do this I'd say no this doesn't require psychological treatment but 80% of the other crap you do does.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.