Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 500 rounds of steel ammo and it won’t feed into my 40. Have 5 mags and all the same . Will feed brass fine

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Is it a new gun or are the mags news?
Did you try loading only a few rounds at a time in the mag?
Steel is not as smooth as brass and therefore has more friction.
Sounds like you may need to take some more time breaking in your mags.
Or load the top one brass then the 5 below it steel and as things wear in add a round.
I bought my gun used so never had issues with steel.
Did buy some new mags but at the range I mostly shoot sets of 5.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Is it a new gun or are the mags news?
Did you try loading only a few rounds at a time in the mag?
Steel is not as smooth as brass and therefore has more friction.
Sounds like you may need to take some more time breaking in your mags.
Or load the top one brass then the 5 below it steel and as things wear in add a round.
I bought my gun used so never had issues with steel.
Did buy some new mags but at the range I mostly shoot sets of 5.
Thanks, the gun is old but only has acouple hundred rounds thru it. Had trouble loading my 4095 to .I will try ur advise

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
When you say the gun is old are the mags old too?
When you say won’t feed can you describe how?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
When you say the gun is old are the mags old too?
When you say won't feed can you describe how?
  • I bought the gun around 2004 with acouple mags , I bought a .40 Carbine six months ago with acouple mags and I got a Pro Mag 15 rounds. I don't know which mags are old and new , but I just tried what you said , it cycles with 7 rounds or less or if I put a brass round in first. I didn't shoot it I just cycled it . I can see the first round actually get tight and nose dive on the 8th round . I even had trouble with my carbine to where I couldn't chamber a round with the slide locked back after the previous mag, but the mags where fully loaded. I didn't know mags had to be broke in. My other gun is a Glock but I never have or will put steel thru that . I shoot steel all the time in my SKS but all I could get was steel .40 at a ridiculous price , but I wanted to shoot both guns and not get into my Brass stash.

So it wouldn't chamber the first round to answer ur question

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Do you slingshot the slide or kinda ride it with your hand?
You can use like a paint stir stick and move the followed in the mag up and down for a while.
Some mags may have more friction then others.
Alternatively you can take your mags apart, more the orientation of the spring and clean and lightly lube them.
Sounds like you’ve got a couple of things going on here.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can cycle it by hand with less rounds in the mags to were the top around isn’t so tight or put in a brass round first . I will try less rounds and a brass first next time at the range . I just posted a laser question on this gun if you have any info on that

·
Premium Member
21,392 Posts
Don't hand cycle live ammo in a Hi-Point. The firing pin is part of the ejection process. You can get an out of battery discharge.

·
Premium Member
35,994 Posts
What Trashy said...do NOT cycle live ammo.

Take the gun out and shoot it with reduced round counts in the mags for a few times. Sounds like you have a break in issue at least in regards to steel, and yes, HP mags sometimes need break in, and sometimes even tweaking.

If steel would hurt your Glock...that would make your Glock a pretty sad gun. I get it with rifles, but handguns should have no issue with steel, other than possibly not feeding due to the lack of lubricity compared to brass cases.

·
Premium Member
21,392 Posts
I broke my 4095 in with steel as I forgot to take ammo when I picked it up from the dealer. No problems.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have about 150 rounds thru my new 4095 , all steel except for a few rounds of brass to make sure it feeds with the ammo I have for home defense . I really like the carbine, I like my Hi Point 40 more than my Glock 27, I just tried the steel ammo in it because I bought a 1/2 case for the 4095 and had feeding issues . Going to the range tomorrow to try less rounds in mag and brass first round. Thanks again for the safety issue with hand cycling

·
Premium Member
21,392 Posts
I like my G27. I have a 22, and a 23. I have a JCP that I bought used. I only shot it the day I bought it. It was in dire need of lube.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
You sure you want to admit to a crime on a public gun forum?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
What Trashy said...do NOT cycle live ammo.

Take the gun out and shoot it with reduced round counts in the mags for a few times. Sounds like you have a break in issue at least in regards to steel, and yes, HP mags sometimes need break in, and sometimes even tweaking.

If steel would hurt your Glock...that would make your Glock a pretty sad gun. I get it with rifles, but handguns should have no issue with steel, other than possibly not feeding due to the lack of lubricity compared to brass cases.
LUBRICITY. New word of the day. Can't pronounce it but know what it means.:bounce:

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
You could always say you dreamt you had a 15rnd mag and when you woke up you realized it was all a dream.
Yeah, just say it was a stiffy.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts