Dog Tags

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Thadius15, Mar 25, 2008.

1. I know these are typically used in the military, but have any of the civilians given any thought to getting a set with name, social security number, DOB, and blood type on them. I think these would come in handy if anyone had to provide help during an emergency.

2. Where could someone get a set made?

3. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S. Member

How about here? http://www.dogtagsonline.com/ Or, you could just go to one of the pet tag kiosks at places like Petco or Petsmart, and do your own.

4. I think that I would leave my SS # off of the tag in case it got lost.
    Spot

5. 69burbon

69burbon Well-Known Member

Most military surplus stores can make them for a couple of bucks.

6. My local walmart has a machine that has several shaped discs, one dog tag shaped, that you can put whatever you want on, up to so many letters per line with a so many line limit.

Costs 5 bucks, a couple of minutes and you are done.

7. Dog tags are a great idea. It's cheaper than medical jewelry that doesn't use a database.

8. I don't think they are much good without social security number especially if you have a common name. Besides would they be any easier to lose than your wallet, which contains information probably much more damaging. These are around your neck so you constanly know if they are there or not.

9. blkhwkfxr

blkhwkfxr Guest

Also, if you have reservations about putting your full social security number on your tags you could simpley inscibe XXX-XX-(last four of your ssn). Cross checking your full name and last 4 would land them with a full ID on your corpse... um person. =P

10. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Ya that would work as well.

11. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member Member

HA, Couldnt help but think of the Kurt Russel Movie SOLDIER.

Had his name and rank and Info tatted to his face and arm.

That would be the hard core way.

just tat that sh_t to your body, hard to loose then unless terribly burned

12. I am actually thinking of changing my Religious Preference just so I can get another set made at no charge and keep my original ones from BMT....

13. condition1

condition1 Member

lots of Marines are getting tats to ID, just not ont he face like that dumb movie