dog walking.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lsi1, May 25, 2015.

1. lsi1

lsi1 Member

one day last week i took my 5 year old sons 9 month old pitbull puppy for a walk. On my walk a guy who lives up the road from me stopped me to ask me what i planned on doing with that dog when my wife has her baby. Immediately i thought he was asking if i had someone to take care of the dog while she goes in the hospital but turned out he thought i was gonna get rid of my family's dog because he thinks that all of the dogs of that breed attack babies and small children. About this time the dust mop he was walking finally lost control of itself and lunged at my much larger dog who seemed utterly confused that a stuffed animal would attack him. I told the guy that i had no plans on getting rid of the dog and as a matter of fact i might just put the dog bed in the nursery.

My son's dog is named Ruger and he has been a fantastic puppy better than many other more socially accepted breeds i've seen. He's still a puppy and kind of hyper sometimes but overall he listens well and he loves my son with a level of devotion that blows me away.

much like guns i feel that the media has a bias against the breed and pushes their agenda on us all of the time.

2. lsi1

lsi1 Member

a dog and his boy. I was mad at my wife for even wanting to go look at that litter because i didn't want a dog like that. watching my son and him grow together has been a quite rewarding experience. like tug of war used to be the puppy would get drug around then it was even. a couple months ago i watched my son go sliding through the house on his belly being pulled at the end of a rope by the dog.

the pic is old but its the two of them inside a stroller box.

Attached Files:

3. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

It not the breed, it is the upbringing.

4. My old man used to say to never trust someone who alway had a mean dog around for good reason(were being used to guard a junkyard, etc). As it meant that the owner was mean. I've found this in general to be true.

Sure every once in a while there will be mean dog in spite of ones best effort, but that should be rare.

5. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Took my youngest granddaughter to the pound to select a new "rescue" dog after her terrier passed. Against my initial wishes she selected a pit bull mix.I objected because i do have pit bulls that are my catch dogs for hog hunting and I know what they are capable of, even when well trained.

After a long talk with the Animal Control Officer and as luck would have it, a friend of my oldest granddaughter who just happened to work there, I decided to let her get him. Both of the animal shelter employees told me that the dog was a good people dog and that he was due to be put down. The rules say after 5 days, but we got this dog on day 15. Business was slow, they had room, and they wanted to give the dog a chance because it "is a good dog". That is what sold me.

We did have an unfortunate incident the first week. The oldest had a Chihuahua that has always been the Alpha. 3 days after getting the Pit Bull mix, the Chihuahua was dead. My initial impulse was to take the dog back. But after learning what happened decided to give it the benefit of the doubt. Seems the Chihuahua attacked the Pit Bull, the bulldog snapped at it bit the ear, severed an artery and the Chihuahua bled out. The bulldog did not clamp down and hold or shake, just nipped. The issue was the dogs size I think, 3 pounds vs 30 pounds. I have a miniature Dachshund that has nipped at the Chihuahua numerous times and didn't do anything to him. They called me hypocritical, can you believe it? :eek:

Anyway, the Pit Bull is pretty docile. I have tried everything to get it to show aggression to me. Held it on its side, rubbed it under its neck, even got in its face, he is just as docile as can be. He dosen't mind me well, but listens to m y granddaughter just fine. She is definitely the alpha in his world.

BTW, she named him Inmate, because she broke him out of jail! :rolleyes:

Isi1, I think your boy and my girl both have good dogs!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  6. lsi1

lsi1 Member

we had a great dane mix before this dog that became very aggressive towards children. We rehomed him to a home without kids and months later he became aggressive towards adults too and needed to be put down. I had never before had a dog that was just mean but that dog just had a few screws loose. It made me very apprehensive about bringing home a dog just a few months later. It has also taught my boy a lot about being responsible for both his dog and his things because he is a puppy he has no concept of who's toys belong to whoom so we've lost some legos and army men to crushing jaws. Now he picks up his toys when he's done and the dogs as well.

7. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

As mentioned earlier, my pits are catch dogs. We have a mutual respect for each other. I do carry the scars from one of mine that got my leg once. I got in the way of it and a hog. They will clamp down on the ears of a hog and hold it until we can tether or dispatch the hog. He immediately let go, guess I tasted a bit different than the hog! :)

Anyway, I said if this dog does not make it as a pet, I said I would add it to the pack, but that would not work. Inmate would not make it past the first hunt I don't think.

8. planosteve

You use of been too gamey tasting for him.

9. Nothing like the love between boys and there dog.

Here's day 2 of the dog 9mos. for my boy.

[​IMG]

And fast forward 4 years.

[​IMG]

10. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, real vicious I tell ya. This is dad, mom, and son. Son is taller than both. This is also the newest litter of 8 that happened because nobody listened to me. Don't mind the puppy poop on the floor by the pee pad. At least the little bastard tried to hit his mark. Mom cleaned it up about 30 seconds later.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      49.7 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      62.4 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      40.9 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      43.8 KB
      Views:
  11. planosteve

Please feed us, we are starving. All dogs have that look.

12. Rachgier

The woman was making an egg salad sandwich before work. You would think that they never eat with those looks on their faces. There is 120lbs of puppy chow and 160lbs of large breed dog food next to the freezer along with 4 cases of moist and meaty and 6 cases of canned wet food.

Haze, the dad, has a bad skin condition that recently developed and the vet is recommending we put him on a Bully Max and raw egg supplemental meal 3 times a week. She also said if we get organic eggs that haven't been sprayed, we should grind up the shells and mix them up in the food as well.

She actually said it would be good for all of the dogs considering Little Man turns 1 in June and is still a puppy, and Abby is 2 years old and has been tiny from day one. My concern was it would turn them in to those incredible hulk looking dogs, which I don't want. She said that they would bulk up and build muscle, but unless we hooked them to sleds and/or wrapped them in weighted vests when they walked, they wouldn't get all creepy looking.

13. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

We've always had a pit bull, and never any problems with them, the last was with us for a decade but sadly she gave in to cancer and liver/kidney problems and had to be put down. Was incredibly loving, but huge and lazy, too lazy to be bothered with jumping on the couch, more of less just spun her wheels for a while till she got up there.

The cats loved her even though she was generally terrified of them after being smacked stupid a bunch of times by our older cat when she was a puppy.

We've got a new puppy from the pound, she's really energetic and clumsy, but she listens well, and is likewise terrified of cats even though they just try to chase her around when she goes out.

14. Rachgier

My 3 get along great with 2 of the 3 cats. The oldest cat was queen B before they came around, and she doesn't put up with any guff from the other 2 cats either.

15. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I get that same look from the cats, as I was eating chicken tonight I was getting the share that stare.

Friends have had pits, biggest babies I ever met. I could wrestle with them, pull ears and tails and the most they would do is soft mouth as a warning if I got to rough. That grab your hand and move it thing. Same for the rottweiler they had.

16. planosteve

Our cat knows when I am cooking bacon and will sit at my feet the whole time I am cooking and eating it. I do give her a little taste or two. Any animal that likes bacon can't be all bad.

17. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Oh yeah, bacon gets 2 cats staring in the kitchen then at me as I eat... they do get a nibble each, the salt is not that good for them so just a tiny bite

18. Meanest dogs I have known were "ankle biters". Back when i was 16, my best friend's older sister bought a $5,000 pure bred cocker. Even at just a few months old, that f$;3er hated me upon sight. Happy as could be till it saw me, then ran up growling and attacked my feet. Two years later the mutt about ripped off my nose. I hadn't see it for a couple months because it was banned from the house if i was there. One Sunday morning she decided to break the rule, let the dog in and leave without telling anyone. My buddy and I were sitting on the couch and he points to my left. I look at the arm and the dog is up on it. I shoved it off. It jumps back up and when I look, it latched onto my nose and started pulling away. I was quick enough to grab it by the throat and head. Almost squeezed the life out of it before prying its mouth open, beating it on the couch arm and throwing it down the basement stairs. 46 stitches and i still have scar tissue. Nothing like the sudden feel of an ice pick jabbing into the tip of your nose.

I think big dogs KNOW they can easily hurt you so they don't unless they have no other choice (protection, defense). While ankle biters know they are tiny and have a complex about it.

It it funny about cats. Most dogs won't mess with cats. I had a near 200 pound mix-bred "yellow lab" that got pushed around by a 10 year old 14 pound clawless cat.

19. Back2School

Back2School Member

When I got my current pup it was down to her and a pit mix at the SPCA. This one had a little more personality and the pit showed me one thing I didnt think I could handle. It jumped up (very easily I might add) into a window in the room where we were playing with them. The window had to be 5 foot off the ground. All I could think of was this guy on the counters in the kitchen - so that was a deal breaker. Otherwise he was a beautiful dog.

Not that I am not my pup, she is the best - just a little headstrong. I tease my wife that I am completely surrounded by stubborn women!

20. Rachgier

LOL Yeah, my youngest male has hopped a 4ft fence on the fly and he almost cleared my 6ft. fence out back. I watched him jump from the floor to all four on the dining room table effortlessly one day. He got broke of that real quick, but I still keep an eye on him.