Dove Hunting

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Kneedeep971, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Kneedeep971

Kneedeep971 Junior Member Member

Hello Hi-Point Community,

I have a question for all of you dove hunters out there waiting for september 1st to come. A few weeks ago my house was robbed and my shotgun was stolen forcing me to go buy a new 20Ga. for dove season. After i got the gun i completely forgot what my other gun's choke was since it has been the same for many years. My question is, what choke do you prefer for a 20 Ga. with a 26 inch barrel for dove hunting? Also, where are you living and are you hunting this season??

Thanks for helping out.

2. Bitsman

Bitsman Member

My Dad has used a 20ga Remington 1100 for as long as I can recall... He shoots modified chokes... I have always used a 12ga with a full choke... Currently I am living in Alabama.. Most areas that are at all decent for Dove near me are private.. and I simply REFUSE to pay someone $100 for the chance to shoot 200+ shells.. wind up with a sore shoulder... and walk away with 10 birds .. If I am LUCKY. I grew up hunting the Imperial Valley in California.. Down near El Centro and the Mexican border... Almost always limited out.. We had lots of fun out there in the desert...

3. Kneedeep971

Thanks for the response. I think i am going to go with the MOD, im pretty sure thats what my previous gun had but i cant remember for sure.

4. nitrous_bob

nitrous_bob lazy city worker Member

modified

i dont dove hunt anymore, cuz there is no season in michigan, but i was in cali for 5 years and i used to dust them with a modified

you "could" use a improved cylinder in the AM and PM with a modified throughout the rest of the day...but i dont really swap chokes out that much

5. Kneedeep971

Thanks, i think ill be using a mod in mine. Hopefully this season is as good as the last. I got my limit by 9 and was home by 10.

6. I start with more open chokes early in season and switch to tighter ones as the doves become more weary.Rarely use full unless i find them flying very high

7. Kneedeep971

Whooo hoooo, only 4 more days to go. Who else is going to be taking birds out of the sky this saturday??

8. I have been a part of it and it was a great thing and a new experience.