Drooling over Taurus Judge

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by HiPointArmorer, Dec 28, 2014.

1. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Anyone carry this beast? I was at a pawn shop yesterday and got to fondle one. Cant think of a better defense round than 000 buck shot for the bad guys. It wasn't as heavy as I thought it would be, and couldn't help picture how fun it would be blasting slugs with this at the local indoor.

2. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I almost picked up one of these for 400.00,, but the guy flaked out. It may still go down, he works with my wife. I think they are cool as hell.
    the perfect home defense weapon. And a 10 on the cool factor for sure!

3. Asher1

Asher1 Member

There are usually plenty of them for sale used... They get bought on a whim, and then the novelty quickly wears off after shooting a couple times..

I think I recalled reading in a mag that the accuracy being terrible with a 45lc round and the shot shells have to be the $$$ ones designed for the short barrel or they just go everywhere, and not a lot of fun to shoot...

I liked the idea of the gun when I first ran across it, but then got alarmed with the amount of used ones available and started looking closer into them..

It's one of those guns you talk your buddy into getting, so you can occasionally shoot it but not be invested in it (kind of like a 22TCM)..

4. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

Save yourself a lot of money. Have a saddle maker make a holster for a brick. Carry the brick until you see how heavy a brick in your britches really is. After a few days with a brick you will not want a Judge any longer. Then have the saddle maker take the Kydex brick holder off your holster and put Kydex holster for something sensible like an M&P or a Glock. In fact Buds has used Glocks and M&P's in 40 cal with night sights for $349. You will have a good carry gun. The brick will be happy to get out of your britches and the saddle maker will have a good meal off the money you spent.

5. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure the Judge was not designed to be an edc. More like a glove box gun.

6. Some people like them, I am not interested though. Most of their utility is for snakes, and snakes have to be really close to strike. If there that close they most likely will get you before you can shoot them. If they are not close enough to strike leave them alone.

7. Asher1

Asher1 Member

sorry double post

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I'd like one, but it takes 3 different calibers than I already have, and I kind of follow a rule about that. I will not buy a gun that I cannot afford to (in a short time frame) buy at least 1,000 rounds for the gun. So it's not real practical for me. I already have at least twice the calibers I had planned on when I started arming myself again. ;)

The plan was:

22lr
    9mm
    12 g

But I ended up with the above PLUS:

22 Mag
    17 HMR
    40 S&W
    45 ACP
    7.62x39
    20 g

:p

9. 45Man

45Man Member

5.56 is now the almost the least expensive at $.25-$.30/round.
    .22LR is $.10-$.15/round & since one usually shoots more .22, the 5.56 is effectively cheaper per range session.

10. Fracman

Fracman Member

The 22tcm is the real deal the judge is junk.

11. Asher1

Asher1 Member

I agree, got to shoot one 2 weekends ago chrono'd 40g right at 2000fps out of that 5" (I think) barrel.. No recoil but that gun had the bark of a 357m and 8" of flame out the end...

Sure was fun, but seemed like a useless caliber for anything other then fun target shooting...

That's why it fits in my "get your buddies to buy so you can occasionally shoot it" category... My next purchase is going to be something in a 460r so I have a deer hunting pistol... :D

12. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I have the Governor and like it. If you complain about the weight carry the HP 45 around. Shoots accurate with all loads but bird shoot. Its a great HD gun. I also carry it hunting with 45 colt Buffalo bore for bears. Some don't like them that's up to each to like what ever. I didn't like the Taurus with its 5 shoot. Governor has six. I can mix and match ammo can't do it with a auto. Try putting a 410, 45 colt, 45 Schofield, 45 gap or one of the bullets that I make out of 30-06 cases in a 1911. And its fun to shoot little recoil.

13. Fracman

Fracman Member

Are you aware that they make a 22TCM rifle

14. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Shoot one not bad

15. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    S&W is my all-time favorite :D

If the round catches on, it is a very sweet little new carbine/pistol combo. RIA's 22TCM double stack carries a lot of firepower, and the rifle can really reach out there! It's a notch or 2 below an AR but a very worthy round. Think reloadable 22 Magnum :D I'm thinking a +P round could approach 3000 FPS with a long barrel and 22Mag bullet weights!

16. Asher1

Asher1 Member

only shot the pistol, I wonder what the speed would be out of a rifle.. The fire out of pistiol barrel would make you think there is still a lot of unburnt powder left and a longer barrel would sure help with that...

17. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Even if its effectiveness with the .410 shot shells is debatable, there is no doubting the utility of .45LC against the big critters.

18. I thought about getting one a bunch of times. Held more than a few.
    Then I decided to get the poor man's judge. A single shot steel flair gun. With a .410/45LC insert.

19. Fracman

Fracman Member

With the long jump from bullet to the lands the bullet has a long ways to get some bad habits. It will never be more then a min of bad guy gun I would not trust it with my life when it comes to big animals. It is a great gimmick gun that sold a bunch to the guys and gals that want it cause it was cool. There are better things to spend your money on.

20. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I got the Taurus product catalog in the mail recently. Been drooling over the Judges ever since.