DRUMMY

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by 97TJ, Apr 24, 2008.

1. 97TJ

97TJ Member

I was surfing the net reading up on c9's and 995's and ran across a post on a forum from someone calling himself Drummy. Sounds kinda cool but I really am not interested in being a Guinea pig.

The only good High capacity mag for the 9mm Hi-Point rifle are produced by Drummy. They are built exactly like Drum magazines for UZI's, MAC 11's, and GLOCK machine pistols. To get a 72 round Drum mag from Drummy, you must send a Suomi drum magazine and a 10 round mag that works well in your rifle. Drummy does all the drum modifications required and tests each drum produced to insure it functions in a stock Hi-Point 995. You can contact Drummy at: PO BOX 1695, INDEPENDENCE, Mo. 64055. Suomi drums are available through SHOT-GUN- NEWS and on the Web for approximately $25.00. Drummy communicates through the US mail only. Once you have made contact, Drummy will give you his shop phone number. With a 72 round Drum mag locked in your pistol grip, the Boy's at the range will drop a jaw and fear the Ugly Stick.

2. Interesting, but probably a dead-end. Nevertheless, I'm going to contact him, just to get the story. And maybe, if it _does_ sound good, to act as a GP. I'm looking for some of his range testing info first, though.

Afterthought: (and I'm not backing off, yet) for the same price, I can get an original 75-round Romy drum with guaranteed performance that provides a little more firepower :)

3. SteveD

SteveD Member

What forum was this posted in? Would be nice if you could post a link or a pic of the mod.

4. I found it, was really hopeful until I saw the 275 buck price tag. No offense, but for that kind of money I would buy 2 drum mags for my AK instead

5. griff30

griff30 Member

6. Too bad he doesnt have a youtube up showing off how well the drum works. He might sell a few if its 125 and the buyer supplies the drum and mag.

7. I live in Independence so i might have to go and investigate.

SV

8. Go for it SV! If he is confident in his work then he should not have any problem with that.

9. DaScotsman

DaScotsman Member

SV, let me know what you find... I live in Johnson Cnty, and will gladly risk a trip to Independence for a greater-than-10-round mag...

10. pjm204

pjm204 Member

I think I am just going to try doing it myself, I've got a tig welder and a suomi drum....I don't think it should be too complicated. If I get it to work I will post on here...maybe even offer my services if I feel I can complete them in an acceptable manner, and I would charge WAAAAY less.

11. griff30

griff30 Member

WAAAAY less? now your talking my language.
    I have a soumi drum and a spare mag for the 995, I would really love someone with tig skills try this. I am willing to be your first customer
    (or sacrifice?) Where are you from?
    I had heard of people making the welds good but the 995 mag lips are not able to take the stress of a fully loaded soumi mag. You may have to look into reinforcing the feed lips somehow.

12. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

I was the one that ran into the feed lip problem. I was considering using a mag from a 9mm 1911 clone i found and modifying it to fit, but i ran out of money and patience before i got that far. You can eat up a TON of time and ammo testing this sort of thing. I had around 5,000 rounds of 9mm i used up in the testing and never got anywhere beyond the feed lip problem. Functionally it works, but spring pressure will be a problem until a stronger magazine feed lip can be found or built.

SW

13. Would it be possible to heat the metal and quench it to make it stronger? I think that may be a possibility.

Have to find the range inbetween flexible and strong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_treatment

Heat treatment is a method used to alter the physical, and sometimes chemical, properties of a material. The most common application is metallurgical. Heat treatments are also used in the manufacture of many other materials, such as glass. Heat treatment involves the use of heating or chilling, normally to extreme temperatures, to achieve a desired result such as hardening or softening of a material. Heat treatment techniques include annealing, case hardening, precipitation strengthening, tempering and quenching. It is noteworthy that while the term heat treatment applies only to processes where the heating and cooling are done for the specific purpose of altering properties intentionally, heating and cooling often occur incidentally during other manufacturing processes such as hot forming or welding.

14. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member Member

My rediculous Idea.

Would it be possible to Slip One Factor mag body over a second Factory mag body. Tac them together and Go that route Kinda Like shim between the mag well the RDS. Think of sliding a straw inside another. Just unbutton drimmel off the tack welds to one mag body and slip it over.

Sprinkle a little pixy dust over Frankenmag. :p;0

15. Another good thought....... Its gotta be able to be done, its just a matter of stumbling across what its going to take to do it.

16. pjm204

pjm204 Member

I definitely think that the lips can be heat treated to keep them from bending. I have done some heat treating so I would feel somewhat comfortable giving it a shot. I will buy a second mag and give this a shot. if I can get it to work and I think I can repeat the process without too much trouble, I would probably charge a suomi drum and a mag.....so that would be like 50 bucks in parts. That way every time I made someone a drum conversion, i could make a second for myself. I think this would be fair, would be really cheap for those that have been sitting on the drums awhile or have a bunch stocked up. I won't be able to try this for at least a week, I need to order a second mag.

To those that have attempted this, did you angle the mag at all to assist in feeding?

17. Would you think that where the drum and the mag were welded together would need anealing?

The other board member that tried and had problems said his welds were good but it broke anyway, so that meant that the metal broke next to the weld instead of the weld itself, because the heat of welding changed the hardness of the metal next to the weld.

I tinker with welding and have seen that happen more than once.

18. pjm204

pjm204 Member

hmm, I wouldn't have thought that the welds would need annealing but maybe they would. Possibly the metal was cooling too quickly? I was hoping I could just fuse it together with my tig, I guess I will have to see how strong the weld needs to be.