Dry firing

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by tanglebones, May 20, 2008.

1. Was talking to a friend about the nuances of dry firing between a Glock and a Hi point. For the Glock - you basically HAVE to do so in order to disassemble and clean. What about Hi point c9's?

I'm not sure exactly why it's been historically discouraged, is it still?

2. The problem with Dry Fire is that the firing pin doesn't hit what it is supposed to.
    On Rimfires it can especially be a problem. The firing pin will hit the face & cause an indentation or it can dull the firing pin causing misfires.
    On old wheel guns it could cause the firing pin to become misshapened & this would cause it to actually pierce the primer causing a blow back on the hammer.
    On newer wheel guns it could cause the firing pin to become stuck in the fired position.
    I'm not too sure how it would affect Semi Auto's but I would think that too much dry firing would stress the spring by making it stretch further than it should & could also damage the firing pin too.
    Think of it like throwing a hard punch & missing your target. It really makes your shoulder hurt, don't it!!

3. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

some semi-autos its totally cool to do so.. yet others you shouldnt/cant. i'd refer to the mfg.

4. you will have no issues if you dry fire your hp. some guns gained a reputation (ie cz52) for having weak firing pins made of junk metal that would snap if dry fired. someone took this example and decided it was universal, which is incorrect. it will do nothing to your hp.

5. good to know since i dry fire them once when i clean them after the range.

6. makarovnik

makarovnik Member

Use snap caps to uncock your firing pin.

7. my gun dealer told me it's ok to dry fire my c9 because it is a blow back design.

Gary

8. Problem with using snap caps is then you need to cycle / cock to get the cap out - if you want to. I dry fire the HP to uncock. I NEVER dry fire my KT.

All based on what the mfg. says.

9. Ari

Ari Guest

I have dry fired mine many any many times LOL

10. elmo

elmo Guest

Dry fire

Until I talk to the manufacture I have been taking a pencil with new eraser and putting it in the barrel and then dry firing it.

Elmo

11. griff30

griff30 Member

Snap caps are cheap insurance and really, you need snap caps on dry draws too.

12. Re: Dry fire

That is a great idea, I would have never come with that one :)

13. Re: Dry fire

It makes a wonderful cat toy!
    :wink:

14. elmo

elmo Guest

Eraser dry fire

Well, I wish I could take credit for the idea; but I cannot. I read it somewhere and it works great. And there is no casing to eject afterward. As far as I know having to eject anything afterward would reset the fire pin again on the Hi-Point. Maybe someone else could clear that up.

Elmo

15. I saw it on a forum about dry firing and practicing your aim. My C9 shoots the pencil about 2.5 ft straight up, the CF380 shoots it about 3.5 ft up.

I use it to release the firing pin and the snap caps for cycling the weapon.