Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Yes and no.

Hows that for an answer.

The firing pin is a bit soft and has a tendency to bend and eventually break I have replaced mine once. (Hi-point will send you one free or they will fix it at the factory for free)

Not sure if this is due to due firing or if its because the firing pin is also the ejector.

I dry fire the feces out of my 995 and in the year and a half since I replaced the firing pin I have had no problems. This includes dry firing around the house for practice and the one after you empty a mag.

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
Sometimes what will happen is the firing pin spring will break and then it will eventually cause damage to the firing pin. Now, when you get a new firing pin from Hi-Point, it always comes with a new spring, so that's not an issue. I dry fire my 995 for practice as well as my .40S&W, and have had no issues yet.

Good thing, just like Eklypse said, Hi-Point will send you a firing pin for free if anything happens to yours.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You got me to thinking about it, this is from Wikipedia search "Dry Fire" :

"This technique is often used to simulate actual firing when there is not a suitable place to practice with live ammunition. The primary benefit of this practice is refined trigger control. For most common cartridges, there are snap caps available to reduce the risk of damaging the firing pin. It is generally acceptable to dry fire more modern centerfire firearms without a cartridge or snap cap. However, dry firing a shotgun or rimfire firearm can damage the firing pin. Furthermore, damage can occur to the chamber mouth of a rimfire firearm."

I knew about the possible, more than likely probable pin / chamber damage with rimfires but what's with the warning about Shotguns? Anyone know anything about potential Shotgun problems from dry firing? I dry fire everything not rimfire that I own, never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I think it has somthing to do with the firing pin being spring loaded. The hammer comes into conatct with the firing pin. Where as with a free floating firing pin the hammer will not make contact with the firing pin unless there is a bullet in the chamber or the rifle is pointing up exposing the firing pin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.