Dry Firing

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by tomwlkr, Mar 25, 2015.

1. tomwlkr

tomwlkr Member

With 57 years of owning and shooting firearms, I've dryfired everyone of them till I was comfortable with the trigger. In all that time I never damaged one and don't know anyone who has. Lots of stories of a friend of a friend that knows a guy,etc, but not one first hand experience.
    My Ruger Super Redhawk manual says it will NOT hurt the gun, My Taurus 605 has the same traverse bar between the hammer and firing pin but the manual says it WILL harm the gun.
    Any first hand experience out there?

2. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I dry fire all of my centerfire weapons that don't have instructions strictly recommending against it. I don't dryfire rimfire weapons because their thinner firing pins will suffer damage, while breech faces can get gouged.

3. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I've always used snap caps to practice with. Some firearms, the CZ52, can break the firing pin. There is plenty of documentation of that happening with the CZ52.

4. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    +1 on snap caps. Why not err on the side of caution?

5. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Correct.
    What can happen is the firing pin will hit the edge of the breech and can put a ding in it and cause FTL problems. Usual solution is to chamfer the breech so the pin can slip by. Also one can also put an empty casing in the breech so dry fire will not cause any problems.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  6. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

from advice from a forum member, I went and bought snap caps to practice concealed draw and fast clear for a jam.

The cost to me, negligible to chancing damaging my firearm

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The Hi Point firing pins are noted as not being made from the highest, most resilient, quality of steel known to man and are noted to bend easier than firing pins from some other manufacturers. The slide is made of ZAMAK, which, though a durable and sturdy metal, is also not as resilient as steel.

I find it conceivable that repeated dry firing could potentially damage/peen the inner face of the firing pin hole due to repeated impacts to the area without the "cushioning" effect of impacting a primer first. Though it seems somewhat unlikely, I also find it plausible that the firing pin might bend.

For these reasons, I'd suggest using a snapcap in Hi Point firearms in lieu of dry firing.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Speaking of snap caps. I should be able to get by the post office today as I have a split shift.

9. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

Us to use spent rounds until some genius invented snap caps.

10. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

I'll say "on average" you should be able to dry fire MOST "modern" firearms thousands of times before there is damage or breakage. HOWEVER, s&*t happens, have extra parts on hand and prep for the breakage.

There are guns that you should NEVER dry fire regularly (CZ52s for example because of their cast firing pins) and some that its perfectly fine.

11. tomwlkr

tomwlkr Member

The day I bought my JHP new I disasembled to clean out any grease or shipping debris, the firing pin was already bent, after 300-400 dry firings the pin has the same slight bend no better, no worse

12. tomwlkr

tomwlkr Member

Was thinking about boot camp, dry firing that M16 for hours before they gave us live ammo, those guns are usued over and over again that way, so I contaced a Marine small arms instructor that's also kind of a firearm history buff. He stated the idea started in the 1880"s with the .44 Rimfire, dryfiring caused misfires< hang fires and ruptured casings. Word spread, don't dryfire. Most center fire guns with the exception of the notorius CZ52 receive more wear and damage from live fire than dry fire. The only 1st hand experience on this and two other forums I posted on was a guy that broke his firing pin on an old revolver and he was using snap caps.

13. jcwit

jcwit Member

I use snap caps that I make, just in case!

However if perchance I break a firing pin, I'm more than able to purchase another.

14. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Same here, we "dry fired" the HECK outta those beater rifles in Boot too. I've dry fired all of my pistols and rifles hundreds of times, except for Davis Pistols, zero problems, ever. I've dry fired my HPs hundreds of times too, zero problems. I realize that compairing a Davis/Jennings/Lorcin to a Hi Point isnt very fair, to the Hi Point. The HP is a similar design but a much higher quality made pistol. Dry firing is really great for training the "flinch responce" outta people.

15. cc-hangfire

cc-hangfire Member

Just know your firearm, especially older guns where parts aren't so easy to find.

Another example to add to the CZ52: The Star semi-autos only had some steel parts heat treated, & dry firing them can lead to firing pin breaking.

In this internet & YouTube age, you can dig up info on just about any firearm easily.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015