Duck Season 2014 (graphic pictures)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by papataylor, Oct 11, 2014.

1. papataylor

papataylor Member

We started our duck season today.

First day of the season came in yesterday so we got a late start, wonderful morning for duck hunting! Despite the rain and cold.

4 of us ended up with 2 each, I personally got a mallard hen and a juvenile drake (he's a good size for a young fella!)

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1413058212.760589.jpg

Anybody else out water fowling? How've you all done so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I only foul water when I swim in it...oh...water FOWLing...

My bad.:p

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Well, it's just mean to eat them before killing them.:confused:

4. bluharley

bluharley Member

I just don't like killing things anymore. I even coexist with spiders...as long as they ain't too big!

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I don't like killing things much either...but I really like eating, and veggies just don't do it for me.

6. bluharley

bluharley Member

Yea, I cooked me some burgers on the grill today....sorry cow....

7. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

I deer hunted for years, but never went duck hunting. For some reason, the family Chihuahua wasn't a good waterfowl retriever.

8. bluharley

bluharley Member

I've blown away more cottontails than I could count. Poor bunnies. I couldn't seem to hit anything in the air with a shotgun. One time I was out with a .22 and I kicked up a pheasant, I just shot for the fun of it, and damned if I didn't get him, never got one with a 12ga.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Isn't that how it works? Sometimes the right tool for the job just isn't right for you.:p

10. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I stopped duck hunting 20 years ago. Ate way to much wild duck as a kid in the fall because we all hunted and 7 of us could bring in a lot of ducks. Now wild duck makes me ill, can't go near it. Now squirrel and rabbit I still hunt, looking forward to leaves dropping in the next few weeks so the squirrels will be easier to see.

11. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I'm weird, I prefer rabbit over duck. I do like roasted goose, but never much cared for duck. Talked to some of the rabbit breeders at the fair this year and only a handful raised them for food. I did get the cards of those that did. They even clean and skin them for you. They keep the hide and the prices for the bunny is lower. Wabbit stew in my future.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's not weird. Rabbit IS better than duck.

And that's a good deal on the bunny pelt dealer.:)

13. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Started Duck hunting when I was 14. Had my own Duck Club in the 70's. The IL River at one time was a great Duck Hunting area. Then the Barge traffic increased 10 fold, farmers started fall plowing and using improved harvesting implements. Now the River is full of silt and there is no food in the fields for the Ducks. Duck hunting has gone to sh!t. That's progress for you.

14. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Duck hunting made a few guys in LA very wealthy.......

[​IMG]

15. Never went duck.

but I am looking forward to fall turkey and deer in November.

16. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

The one place I think I am going to try it comes out to 3.59 lb cleaned and they keep the hide. As tanning hides is a pain in the patuka they can keep it. I just want my hossenfeffer. :D

17. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

there are only 2 types of spiders in my house; Daddy long legs and dead ones.
    If they aren't small and spindly, they go squish, or, in one case, crunch.

Seriously though, how the hell does a spider crunch when you smash it with a Windex bottle, then push down harder for good measure. Damn wolf spider was about as big as my hand, and I wasn't about to let it keep on existing with my knowing about it.

18. papataylor

papataylor Member

Went and scouted today. Tried the Clinch Mountain wildlife management area, no ducks but man was it beautiful. Just wanted to share some pictures!

Also saw two Bald Eagles. First time I've seen them in the wild. Couldn't get a shot of them on my phone though :-(

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1415509960.521009.jpg ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1415509977.588250.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1415509989.861738.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1415510003.091420.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1415510035.358200.jpg ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1415510049.200796.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1415510063.055598.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
  19. harcdaddy

harcdaddy Member

Very nice and peaceful!