Dumb n00b question

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by JohanBroad, Jun 27, 2015.

1. JohanBroad

JohanBroad Member

This is one of those dumb newbie questions I warned ya about. I did try to search the archives, but I didn't find anything that answered my question.

I am planning on getting my CCW in the next month or so.

I will be taking the class with my C9. I know it's not an ideal piece for CC, but it's what I have.

My question is this:

Is it feasible to carry the C9 with a round in the chamber and the safety on, or is that simply too unsafe?

I would like to be able to draw and fire one handed, instead of having to draw and then rack the slide.

Can this be done, or should I find a pistol with a de-cocking mechanism for ccw?

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Personal preference.

Now prepare yourself for 50 different opinions and a thread drift moving to better calibers & carry pieces.

3. There are better choices for CC as your parameters describe, but cic called it true. There will be tons of opinions on this.

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Some do and some don't.
    We have and had a couple of people here that concealed carried a HiPoint.
    If you use a decent holster I don't see why not.
    That's who I carry my pocket .380 but I've had the safety come off accidentally as I was carrying it in a cargo pocket and mowing the lawn.
    So I use a better holster now when it's gonna get bumped around and it hasn't happened since.
    But I'm very aware off it with striker fired guns.
    You definitely want a holster that covers the trigger just in case the safety comes off because of body movement.
    I like hammer guns and I've carried a CZ52 also and a M57.
    Condition 2, hammer down on a loaded chamber and safety off.
    When I carry my 1911 clone, condition 2.

5. Rerun

Rerun Member

If the distance from our Sun to Earth is approximately 93 Million miles (one Astronomical Unit), and the distance from Our Solar System to the nearest Star is 3.26 light years (one Parsec), then what colour do You prefer ~Red or Purple...?

Always thinking eldar

6. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Banana....

7. Rerun

Rerun Member

AAANNNTTT!

Orange.

:D

Smot eldar

8. then what colour do You prefer ~Red or Purple...?

Always thinking eldar[/QUOTE]

What's the difference between pink and purple?

The grip!

9. VinnieD

VinnieD Member

Cocked and locked is the recommended method of carry as long as you have a holster that keeps the gun properly secured. Some people carry a Hi-Point, and as long as you have it cleaned, oiled, and the magazines properly broken in, it should get you through the class. There are more compact guns for CCW certainly, but the gun you have beats a gun on layaway.

10. You wascly wabbit! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

11. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I have been CCing a C9 with one in the pipe for like 2 years now. Personally, I have never had a problem. I must admit, there have been a few times I pulled it out of the holster and the safety had slid out of place.

There is a risk that the safety mechanisms could fail. There is also a risk that you might not have a free hand to rack the slide to chamber a round.

Both are legitimate concerns.

You have to decide for yourself which risk is worse

12. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

I usually don't carry my C9's, but I have on a few occasions. When I did, I carried it OWB, round in the tube, safety on. I had no issues. The safeties work just fine on mine. :)

13. VinnieD

VinnieD Member

If the safety is loose it needs to be tightened. It should have a strong positive feel when it's in place. Make sure the grips are properly secured, and not worn down above the safety. Make sure the safety isn't bent. If all else fails contact Hi-Point and have a replacement safety lever sent.

14. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :p
    par·sec
    ˈpärsek/
    noun
    a unit of distance used in astronomy, equal to about 3.26 light years (3.086 × 1013 kilometers). One parsec corresponds to the distance at which the mean radius of the earth's orbit subtends an angle of one second of arc.
    (I know this part was so odd, it is just easier to say
    "distance to the nearest star" and be off by 34%) :D

Should be able to back up these opinions :p

4.37 light-years
    The Alpha Centauri system is located 1.34 parsecs or 4.37 light-years
    from the Sun, making it the closest star system to our Solar System.

15. Rerun

Rerun Member

Good call, undeRGRound!

This is why one should always check their facts! :D

(I was using the parsec as described in a board game)

Sitting Corrected eldar

16. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Interesting...
    I almost bought into that, then I thought "It's just over 4LY to the nearest star"
    So I looked it up...

17. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

I've carried several different types, but I think a wheel gun is the safest. I now carry an LCR .38 +P normally in an under armor shirt. If I'm on the 4 wheeler up in the hills I'll usually carry a .40 XD in a shoulder holster. If I think I might run in to someone who don't like guns like some little ole lady out in the country I'll carry the HP or CZ .40 in a sneaky pete type setup. . Ya never know if they hate firearms or actually have a larger arsenal than you. :rofl:

18. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Johan,

Now that I am off work I will throw in my 2 cents worth. Dude you are over thinking this. New gun make sure bore is clean, put a bit of oil on moving parts and shoot it. On my 4595 that is what I did and after 3000 rounds of ammo I still haven't torn it down. Blast out the chamber and bolt with gun scrubber, clean the bore and oil it. I will tear it down one of these days but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Go out and have fun with it, that is what shooting is all about, or aboot if you are Canadian.

19. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Like others said, personal preference. I do not cayy my hi point "cocked and locked" nor will I carry any striker fired single action in that manner.

20. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

No such thing as a dumb noob question! Do you agree? Wait! was that a dumb question???? :confused: