Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't live fired my 995TS yet. My lefy eye is my dominant eye and with pistols and long guns I have no problems. However, the 995 has such a short stock I can't use my left eye unless I want to look like a contortionist, lol.

Is there a 'trick' to sighting with your weak eye?

Thanks in advance - WR2

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Shoot with both eyes open. With the peep sight you may find this easier than you think.
Try it out with the gun empty(check again to be sure) & sight in on a spot on your wall or a target & see how you do.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Get an eye patch. Wear it over your left eye as much as you can. This will "strengthen" the weak eye, use the patch every time you shoot. This assumes no problems with that right eye.

I am left eye dominate and right handed. Great for baseball and football but horrid for shooting. Give it a try.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I am right eye dominant but I can shoot with the left eye if I have to, but I usually shoot with both eyes open. I suppose practice what you can't do well until you can do it well is the best advice I can offer.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Shoot with as many eyes open as you have available :cantlook:
Thats not a hard and fast rule, like point shooting with a pistol. Works for some not for others especially those that are looking down the sights with the non-dominate eye. Besides every sniper Ive ever seen close one eye, pistols can be different but Im not big on them, just enough skill to get me back to the rifle I should never have put down. Oh Im better than most by a wide margin but not really my forte.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! This was one of those 'things" that wasn't anticipated. I've dry fired with both eyes open and don't feel comfortable. I guess the only thing will be shooting at the range!!! Can't wait!

WR2

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Let me know how it go's. Being left eye dominant I am worried about a SHTF situation and not getting a good sight due to my left eye dominance. (Mainly shoot with either hand when it comes to hand guns. Notice I am better with my right. Shoot with both eyes open on the hand gun. I would like to do the same with a rifle but that means shooting with my left hand.)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Let me know how it go's."

Will do. Hopefully the weather will cooperate this weekend.

I didn't realize just how left eye dominant I was until a few months ago. I went to the range with a friend who also brought his scoped .270 rifle (we were going pistol shooting). We used 5" feedback targets at 100 yards. My first 5 rounds probably ended up in Mississippi, lol. Then it dawned on me that I 'naturally' used my right eye so I switched. My next 5 shots all hit the target including one dead-on bulleseye!!!!!!! My friend had the spotting scope and looked at me and asked "What did you do!!!!!", lol.

Cheers - WR2

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
I second the shooting with both eyes comments.

Even with a low power scope I leave both eyes open. With open sights though it helps tremendously. As you get used to it your eyes will naturally focus on the target and the front pin can be seen with both of them. Plus it adds better depth so if you are hunting and the prey moves you can follow it easier.

Try it out for about 30 minutes. Its really easy with the peep sights on the 995 but is pretty natural with most iron sights.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Light bulb moment :) ????

I put on the new front grip today and have been taking your suggestions on "both eyes open" while dry firing. Not only am I left eye dominant but also very near sighted. When trying to aim with both eyes, both inside and outside, the red dot seems like I'm at a disco club, :D.

Then it dawned on me that maybe I need to mount the red dot further down the barrel?

i.........RD..........Frnt. Site.......................................target (current)
VS.
i................RD...Frnt. Site........................................target (better?)

Opinions? I understand that only range time will help me work thru these issues but I'd sure like to burn less ammo than I need to.

Thanks in advance - WR2

·
Registered
44 Posts
I put on the new front grip today and have been taking your suggestions on "both eyes open" while dry firing. Not only am I left eye dominant but also very near sighted. When trying to aim with both eyes, both inside and outside, the red dot seems like I'm at a disco club, Opinions?
A scope or corrective glasses.

GC

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you trying to use a red dot scope and the front sight at the same time?
Sometimes the simplest of solutions evades you. Yes, I am. I just 'assumed' that the red dot replaced the rear sights. I've never used a red dot before but based on your comment I never used the front sight on long rifles with a scope. I think you've nailed it -THANKS!!!

WR2

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
It seemed funny that you mentioned both the dot and the front sight. Because the dot emits from a point on to another point in the scope it gives you two points for a line, it just doesn't seem that way.

Shoot with both eyes open with the red dot sighted in right and you will have a tack driver with the 995 at 35 yards.

Glad I could help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts