Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Just recently got a .40 Caliber Hi-Point for Christmas, and I've a really stupid question. Now, understand the pistols I'm most familer with are 1911s, and I know when I pull back on the slide (without a magazine mine you), it cocks the hammer, I pull the trigger, and I can hear the hammer fall.

I do it with my 40, and the trigger doesn't pull (acts like the safety is still on). Figured I'd ask if this is normal or not before I started saying it was broke.

Rich

·
the Great
1,014 Posts
There is a safety in it that prevents the gun from firing if there is no magazine in it. If you want to dry fire it, you gotta slap in a magazine. (A magazine that you of course checked to be sure it is unloaded..)

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
also just to be safe from damaging the gun put a pencil down the barrel eraser down so the firing pin hits the rubber, it can save your firing pin.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I took my safty bar out. I dont want to make it a habbit of cycling it with a mag in it.

I know its a safty thing but its a safty thing for me to see the mags out of the gun if i need to cycle it.

I dont mind the slide being back when i store it, but i dont like it cocked.

·
Banned
167 Posts
I took my safty bar out. I dont want to make it a habbit of cycling it with a mag in it.

I know its a safty thing but its a safty thing for me to see the mags out of the gun if i need to cycle it.

I dont mind the slide being back when i store it, but i dont like it cocked.
Dude, you may want to rethink putting the mag safety bar back in, it was designed like that for a reason, and is a lawsuit waiting to happen if anthing were to go wrong and it was discovered you removed a safety device.

And if the slide is locked back, then the firing pin is cocked anyway...so that makes no sense either.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Dude, you may want to rethink putting the mag safety bar back in, it was designed like that for a reason, and is a lawsuit waiting to happen if anthing were to go wrong and it was discovered you removed a safety device.

And if the slide is locked back, then the firing pin is cocked anyway...so that makes no sense either.
Your right

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
Dry firing is not as big a problem with centerfire as it is with rimfire. With rimfire the firing pin can hit the edge of the chamber.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
I've dry fired my Hi-Points 1000's of times with no issues at all. I like to practice my trigger pull. I've found the best way to practice is to (making 100% certain the gun and mag are unloaded) release the mag about 1/8 to a 1/4 inch and you can both rack the slide and pull the trigger.

·
Banned
237 Posts
Your right
I did the same thing- and then I thought.... Hmm.... Lawsuit... And put it back in..

Now the reason I had taken mine out was because in a SHTF situation- gosh forbid I lose all my mags for whatever reason I still wanted to be able to have a single shot firearm- single shot better than no-shot..

Just remember that that little safety needs to be removed if you ever fiind yourself in that situation... Besides.. Its a whole... One screw (smile)

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Another possibility is to use SnapCaps. Aside from the purple color, they are the same shape and size as a cartridge, but is NOT a live round. That gives the firing pin something to hit against. I usually have one mag loaded with them, so I can practice firing at myself (a picture across the room), to learn better control and stop flinching.

·
Registered
214 Posts

If something goes wrong your looking at bigger issues than a secondary safety issue.

I consider the mag safety a liability, what if your pulling the weapon in need? But the mag falls out... I would rather be able to fire off one shot then be holding a pistol that wont shoot because some politician in California thought its a good idea.

·
Duke of Sarcasm
5,028 Posts
it's bad enough that i cant find 9mm live rounds but i cant even find 9mm snap caps in stock either.

·
Banned
237 Posts
If something goes wrong your looking at bigger issues than a secondary safety issue.

I consider the mag safety a liability, what if your pulling the weapon in need? But the mag falls out... I would rather be able to fire off one shot then be holding a pistol that wont shoot because some politician in California thought its a good idea.
He mag safety is a great idea.. But like you said- if you don't like it you can choose to remove it (and open yourself up to a lawsuit) I like it- it makes the gun all around safer. If no mag inserted.. No bang.. (Can you imagine the headline.. "Irresponsible" gunowner alters gun... Yatta yatta yatta.. Its just a bad idea all around..) I know it isn't inherently unsafe- I'm not saying YOU are unsafe- but imagine the Libtard media getting hold of that- they'd use it.

(What if another Hi-Point user accidentally discharges a chambered round on an assumtion of "well the mag wasn't in..") It just made so much more sense to leave mine in until I found myself in a "****e- I can't find my mags" situation.

Just my two anywho.. (You sleep better at night with it back in.. Had mine out for months..)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would have nightmares about it. I would be getting chased while holding a round and the c9 with no mag....

Like fighting dreams where you feel like your underwater.

And last time I checked, it's not illegal to modify anything you own(short of xbox's and apple products).

And a negligent discharge is an ND Saftey removed or not. Remember never put your finger on a trigger unless your shooting. Saftey is not the job of the gun. Mechanical anything fails.

Lol

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
Juries and Judges tend to view the disabling or removal of a safety device as reckless behavior, if someone will essentially cut the emergency brake cables off his car because he doesn't feel he needs them, what other stupid stuff would he do that caused the plaintiff's injury? Or more importantly, what can opposing counsel allege that turns a good shoot or a mechanical malfunction into an act of negligence or "depraved indifference" that will bring in $$$ or a conviction?

·
Banned
237 Posts
That's exactly right- hell yes- the bell rings that damn mag safety goes bye bye... But in the litigeous society were are in- you are just pleading for trouble. Very unwise- not un-safe... UNWISE

1 - 19 of 19 Posts