Dumbest gun safety gadget ever

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by lklawson, Apr 1, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

OK, a thread over on our sister forum TheKTOG.org about a dumb gun safety gadget reminded me of the absolute dumbest gun safety gadget I've ever seen.

It was being advertised on TV about 5-10 years ago and I haven't seen it since (probably because it was so mind-numbingly stupid).

It was, basically, a big rubber band.

No. Really.

It was thick and wide like those novelty rubber bracelets popular today. On the inside of the band, at one end, it had a molded plug which would fit into the muzzle end, and the other end had a molded pinch or finger ring on the outside.

The idea was that you'd fit the plug into the muzzle and pull the band all the way over the length of the slide and over the rear of the hammer. The extra tension from the rubber band would make it impossible for any one to be able to double-action stroke the trigger.

...on a handgun which operates in double-action. ...with an exposed hammer.

I can already hear the wheels turning in your skulls, churning out the nearly infinite myriad of guns and/or load/cock scenarios that this gadget wouldn't work on, including everything from every-Glock-ever-made to S&W shrowded wheelies, to the Colt Vest Pocket 1908, to any Hi Point handgun...

Yup. I believe that is, literally, the stupidest gun safety gadget I've ever seen, bar none, including trigger locks, external "action locks," cable locks, and even that silly "safetybullet" thing (which is what set me of in the first place over on TheKTOG). It's more stupid than RFID proximity lockout bracelets. It's more idiotic than built-in-fingerprint scanners. It's just "epic fail" in the greatest concentration I can ever recall for gun safety gadget.

The problem is, I can't seem to find any documentation for it anywhere. I've dredged the As Seen On TV archives. I've interrogated Google. Heck, I even stooped to trying Bing (ugh).

Does anyone else remember this foolish gizmo besides me? Can you dredge up a name? Photo? Youtube infomercial?

Gads, but this is frustrating!

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. It is moronic, but if it just saves one life....

in an unrelated note.
    My favorite thing about stupid products, is if they actually turn the creator into a millionaire.
    For example, the pet rock. or canned air. bottled water.

Things that investors were probably laughing them out of the board room. and they say "well f*ck you guys, ill infomercial the hell out of this."
    I really do wonder if the creator came out on top of this.

my worst gun safety gadget is the hipoint trigger lock. it is absolutely infuriating to try and use. and for the record, i like the idea of the RFID safe. as long as they have a key back up.

3. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

THe guy who invented the pet rock just died

4. lsi1

lsi1 Member

yeah probably because of too crazy an activity with his very young and flexible wife that probably happened on a pile of money.. I have no basis for this theory but its mine and i'm keeping it.

The locks that come with the sccy pistols seem equally as ineffective a safety device as i've ever seen.

Now Ruger sends out a nice gun lock. Nefer actually used one but it looks pretty in the bag.

5. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

I remember it vaugely. Big yellow thing. I think the point was, to have a loaded mag and a empty chamber. Goofy.

6. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I remember it, too. It was ludicrous. Just use the Gun Vault or some other quick-opening safe box if you don't want your ready weapon out for visiting small children to reach.

7. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I've seen them used in training scenarios years ago when I was still on the job. They were called Field Safeties by the Department and were used to show that the Instructors had verified the weapon was cleared and unloaded prior to allowing it to be used in the training exercise. They were worthless as a true safety, but worked good as a bright yellow indicator that the weapon had been certified clear.