dunitaall

Discussion in 'Welcome Aboard' started by dunitaall, Oct 29, 2020.

1. dunitaall

dunitaall Member

I am new to the forum so hope this will get me an answer. I have been using 9mm. reload ammo 124gr. with 4.5 gr. HP38 They work fine in my smith shield but With my carbine it will eject spent shell but sometime will not bring in the next shell from the mag does any one have a good data on reload for there carbine

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

HP guns are all Simple Blowback. They depend on the pressure to cycle the Breach Block even more so than delayed blowback designs. They do not function as reliably with powder puff loads. HP's are also rated to +P so you can run the pressure all the way up to SAAMI max.

That said, Hodgdon says you're already over max and into the +P range. They list max load for 124gr bullets as 4.4 gr of HP-38.

Does your carbine function with factory ammo? Might be the springs on your magazine have gotten weak. Use a silver paint pen to number your mags and run factory FMJ through them. Does it happen with all mags using factory FMJ or just one or two? Might have to replace the mags. I don't think that you can buy just the replacement springs for the mag.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Merle likes this.

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Moved to "Welcome Aboard" because you named the thread after yourself.

4. dunitaall

dunitaall Member

Thanks for your reply I am going to use factory ammo when it quits raining I think with a slower powder like power pistol may work better ???? but can't find any Thanks for your info

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2020
  5. willie

willie Member

I am loading 124 xtp with 4.4 universal at 1.120 col using lees factory crimp die the crimp makes differnce on feeding

6. dunitaall

dunitaall Member

Powder is hard to get so its hard to do new reloads Tjamls fpr your reply

7. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Hello and welcome from Indiana!

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I can still get powder, though it's a bit hit-n-miss. Primers, on the other hand...

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. dunitaall

dunitaall Member

I have contacted 10 or more of suppliers I have been using and none have the powders I request. Maybe after Trump gets in again things will be better for us loaders

10. bandit 1200

bandit 1200 Member

I have the 9mm carbine that I bought new. I load 4.4gr. of Red Dot and a 115gr. FMJ bullet. I had some initial failures to feed or eject that I attributed to a new gun break in period. After a hundred rounds , the carbine feed and ejects perfectly. The gun runs like a sewing machine.
    Try a FMJ bullet and if its a new carbine; allow for a break in period.

Rerun likes this.
  11. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

That probably isn't going to happen

12. dunitaall

dunitaall Member

Thanks for your reply I am now using 4.9 gr of HP38 and it works much better. In three clips I may get one or two hang ups but with more use it may get better