durability??????????

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by damageinc, Apr 22, 2008.

1. damageinc

damageinc Guest

I have a C9 so I know that it will be covered by the best handgun warranty in the world! My concern is that when I decide to purchase a 45 or .40 cal, how long will it last before the frame breaks? Or the slide cracks etc... I understand that springs and pins need replaced after several thousand rounds, but when the frame is cracked it's pretty much a hazzard( I think, but maybe I'm wrong there). I have just read some articles on the browning hi-power and the beretta 92 and found that after 30,000 rounds the Beretta falls apart and the Browning is like a third of the durability of the Beretta.

So I ask you fellow shooters, if I decide to buy a 1911 springfield, taurus, kimber etc... how many rounds can I put through it, before it turns to sh&?
    If the steel frame or aluminum frame crack after 30 to 50 thousand rounds, should I get a polymer frame?
    Thanks in advance! :D

2. Let me see if I got this right....... You're asking what frame to buy on a $500 gun when you're thinking of spending $10,000 on ammo????

[ 50,000 rounds, 50 per box, $10 per box ]

My input - get the gun you want! What happens at 30-50M rounds is just about not an issue in my book.

3. it's really hard/impossible to say. guns are mechanical creatures, some live longer than other even they are same kind with same parts.

all i can tell you is the cost of ammo will let you forget the cost of the gun.

4. damageinc

damageinc Guest

if you're buying 50- 100 rounds every time you go out to shoot you're not spending 10,000 at one time! I understand that collectively it is a lot of money in ammo, but who buys 30,000 rounds at one time?

5. I have never bought 30k at one time but I have bought 8000 rounds of ammo at one time. I did that twice. :)

6. I don't think he's gonna buy all 30k rounds at once. It sounds to me as if he is asking about the lifespan (in rounds of ammo) of the frame types.

Oldnoob is right about the nature of our beasts.

You won't know til you get there.

7. Sorry if I phrased my response wrong - it's been a long day here.

I know most folks don't buy 30M rounds at one time, or 50M. I wasn't trying to compare a one time $10M purchase to a $500 one. My point - not made very well btw - was this: It's sort of like wondering what the weather's gonna be like next March 30th, to decide your trip departure date. Should I leave today or tomorrow so I can be sure it will be sunny when I get there?

Who knows? At 50 rounds a week, it will take you $10M and about 20 years to shoot the gun that much. My point then - still not making it too well I suppose - frame cracking at that point in the objects life-cycle ain't worth worrying about. Find a great gun, at a great price you can afford, buy lots of ammo and shoot it.

Back into my hole..........

......... back out of my hole. After rereading all of this.. I'm really NOT trying to be jerk here!!! I'm trying to help and for some reason just sucking at it today. It would easier to just delete all this, but then I'd not open myself up to ridicule and insults - which btw is half the fun around here..........

Back into my hole.........

8. No problem, mister! :wink: Fatigue sucks! Nothing jerky about your post at all. :)

I agree, that far down the road, you've already gotten your money's worth and more out of the weapon. Just enjoy it until it decides it's had enough.

9. damageinc

damageinc Guest

Don't worry, I get what your saying. I think that I was wanting to know if 1000-1500 is worth the price since it will probably fall apart at some time, or should I just stick to the 500-750 range?

10. ah, now that you put it that way!!! let's see if I can put the foot further down the throat! Here's what I think I know and my experience.

FIRST - we've determined shooting A gun, 50M rounds will take you 20 years unless you're like a serious competition shooter or wealthy with lots of time on your hands. AND, that assumes you only have ONE gun! If you get more than one, or two......... see where I'm going with this?

SO, that being the case, let's assume just about any gun you buy, will last as long as you need it to last.

That leaves us with, how much to spend? There are a lot of opinions out there. You'll hear start cheap and learn, then move up. You'll hear save your $$ and get a better gun. In my opinion, these two points of view apply to the less-than-$500 guns. Folks outside of this forum for example may talk you out of a HP, and toward a more expensive gun. I bought three HP's (me and my kid) to start shooting and I've put 2000 rounds through each of them with not one issue. [ there was this ear plug thing, but we won't go into that ].

There are more expensive guns. Glocks, XD's, M&P's, Sigs, Rugers and others that fall into the $500 - $1000 range. They vary of course. These guns, properly maintained will run all day long. There's a reason LEO's use them. If you want a gun that runs all day long, and serves as good personal protection, you may want to spend this much, but you don't need to.

There are more expensive guns. 1911's and customs. They start in the $600 range and go up. Sometimes way up. Many of these are used for competition and serious stuff like, war and such. They too will run all day. They mostly take larger bullets too - cost more money to operate and practice on.

If you look at my sig, you'll see I own a range. Many folks here do - and many folks here do not. It really boils down for me to what is your point? What do YOU want? If you want to be featured on websites as a pro shooter and fancy toys, you're gonna need some $$$. If you want a good home defense tool, one you can practice a few times a month on, you'll spend less - and you'll still get a great value and a reliable piece. Many folks here who can't afford $1000 guns have HP's, love 'em, shoot 'em and use them to protect themselves. It's a wide range.

One point too........ there's no snobs here. I love my HP's and I love your HP's. I love my EMP and so do most others. We love guns here and we value and trust each other to help us have a great experience with any gun we own. That's just the family you've found.

So get clear on what you're looking to use a gun for. And let us help with options and all that. And don't think you have to spend $$$$$ to get a good gun, or to impress any of us. We're just normal folks who like the
    idea, help each other, have a beef and a beer now and then.

Heck, sometimes we can even complete full sentences without making fools of ourselves!

11. speak for yourself newskate9, I have a hard time not makeing a fool out of myself :lol: , but you are right. you need to find the gun that suits you and what you will use it for. I have a friend that has several guns that are over the top. they have wrap around grips ajustable sites and counter balances. just plane ugly.; and hard to shoot. guess what they never come out to play, they never get shot. just take up room in his safe. so get what you like and what will do the job, and enjoy it.

12. The only way that a Hi Point is not a good value would be if they changed their warranty, or if politics put all gun makers out of business, in which case I honestly would expect a Hi Point to wear out faster than a gun costing "x" times more than it. Kimber, etc.

We all love our Hi Points, and we all know their limitations.

Hell, the best feature of any Hi Point weapon is the company that makes them.

13. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Yeah, thanks to a couple of morons! According to their research, for lack of a better term, the Hi-Point's limitation is being hit with 00 Buckshot and 7.62x39 bullets. :shock: :lol:

14. I suspect the average shooter, will NEVER wear out a gun, almost any gun in their lifetime.

15. Ari

Ari Guest

You are right on the money here... What is your projected round count you plan shooting a year? (Or even a month.) Ok lets say you plan on shooting 1000 a month 12000 a year. So you get a couple years on your Hi-Point and send it in and have it rebuilt and updated for free. You are not going to do that with any other gun. Once it is worn out it is done. Not so with Hi-Point they will take care of you for how every long you own the gun.

16. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Newskate9, I have a question...
    WTF is the letter "M" used for when you're using it? Around here it's Million.

17. damageinc

damageinc Guest

Thank you Newskate! You cleared up my idea of what I should or shouldn't own. I am kind of cheap in nature, so I always like reasons as to why I don't need to spend 1000 or more a gun. There is just a lot of people out there that are die hard 1911 users and talk smack abouth anything else. I love my C9 and I have had it for about 5-6 weeks. I do have to slow down on shooting it as the ammo does cost (not as much as other calibers) a decent amount. I am up to 900 rounds on this baby and the only jams that I had were in the first 2-3 boxes of ammo. It may seem stupid, but I have thought of buying a 1911 just to have the Single/double action instead of just having double action. This is a reason I have been looking into a more expensive gun, because HP doesn't make a 1911, or I would by one in every caliber. :D

18. pjm204

pjm204 Member

I have only worn out one gun, a SKYY CPX-1(Kel-Tec knock-off). Around 500 rounds and the frame cracked. I must say, it never jammed, and I am sure I shot at least some of the rounds with the cracked frame. It was a low serial number and they replaced it promptly with a new gun. The new one has also been reliable but I don't think I will be able to trust it as a carry gun.

19. WTF you say???? Around HERE you say????? Who went and elected you the M police??????

HA - just kidding. Where I work we use M for thousand, and MM for million. Most of the world uses K for thousand. I forget to speak real world when I'm out and about!

20. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

with proper care and maintenance a gun should outlast the shooter, unless you abuse it. i have a Glock 17 with 15k on it, a Walther P22 with around 17k-ish and a ruger 10/22 with 120k rounds fired. All of them still function perfectly and with few if any breakdowns. Ive mostly replaced recoil springs, and a few broken sights. the 10/22 has worn out an extractor and ejector over the years and god only knows how many mags ive been through. point being, if you take care of it, it will last a LONG time. if you abuse it hard it wont last no matter how much you spend. If you want to shoot a HP, go buy one. Shoot it until it gives and then send it in and get a new one. I use my C9 for a newbie gun so if it gets dropped or damaged im not out anyhing.

SW