Duster of OWGS Does Custom Knife Sheaths

Discussion in 'Holsters and Cases For Sale' started by AS6, Apr 17, 2014.

1. AS6

AS6 Legible in My Own Mind Member

Who knew?

For a couple of years I have been sporadically looking for a sheath to fit three knives and a Mini-Mag Light. I wanted the leather to be fairly thick and of a particular color. I wanted the knives to sit on their spine as opposed to laying on their side. I figured that with three hundred million people in the United States, that I was not the only one who wanted such an item. Therefore it would be easy to find what I wanted. Imagine my surprise when after checking out Wally World, several sporting good stores, Cabellas and others like it, farm and ranch stores and riches of the internet, I came up totally empty-handed.

A while back, I asked Duster of Old Wheel Gun Shop if he did custom work on projects other than Gun Holsters. He said "yes" and provided a very generous price quote. Long story short, within two weeks of ordering the sheath, it was finished, shipped and in my hands. The sheath is utilitarian and yet beautify, very functional and worth every penny!

Needless to say, I give Duster my highest recommendation.

2. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

3. bluebone

very nice work!!

4. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

Didn't you win the WWII 1911 rig? How is it working. It was a proto type and I'd like to know how I can make it better.

5. bluebone

i have it and just picked up my 1911 last week so i havent really had much of a chance to try it out. the one thing i notice is that it doesnt want to stay close to my body. like perhaps it needs a second strap that wraps around the ribs. the leather is beautiful tho.

6. bluebone

I just took a cpl pics. the slide side wants to lean well away from my ribs (fat and all)...unless I'm wearing it wrong:

Attached Files:

7. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Nice rig..... It woulda looked better on me though! Looks like I'm bringing light beer and rice cakes when I make it out there though...

8. bluebone

light beer is ok and i got plenty of chocolate icing to put on the rice cakes. or maybe we can go with cheese and summer sausage.

9. duster066

I'm not sure how it is supposed to wear as it's a copy of an old Army design. When I wore it with my trainer I left the belt loop off the belt and let it hang like a purse. In pics of GIs wearing it looks like that's how they wore it to at least once on the ground. Try adjusting the strap. On my hunting rigs I do add a chest strap and they have no belt loop.

10. bluebone

yeah i've adjusted the strap to all three positions and it currently is in the shortest position. not having the loop around the belt would make the gun hard to draw as nothing else would be keeping the holster from going with the gun as you drew it. i think the strap thats attached to the holster on the slide side could be to low as the weight of the gun above that point is quite significant.

11. duster066

So raise the back mount higher to get it above the center of gravity of the gun? Makes sense. Don't hesitate to make more holes. A sharp drill bit will make clean holes.

12. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Mmmmmmm........... Cheeeeese!

13. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

You holding your breath on that second pic ? ;)

ROFL

14. bluebone

i nearly passed out before the camera took the pic.

15. AS6

AS6 Legible in My Own Mind Member

Duster,

Thanks for posting the pictures.

16. At least the TP roll is going the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

17. bluebone

i noticed after i posted the pic that it was in there. but thanks for pointing it out....:p

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I think that rig is supposed to be worn with the gun further back, under the arm almost. It isn't a fast draw rig, it's a tanker rig, just designed to keep the gun out of your way when sitting.

But it could be for further forward.

Check this pic.

[​IMG]

That said, I agree that putting the rear strap up by the hammer could make it balance better.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  19. bluebone

i tried further back but it interferes with arm movement. it can be moved around quite easily in different positions. i need to check out more pics tho to get an idea of how they were used. it's really got me interested now.