24,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Official List
1. Revolver, .357 or bigger
2. Shotgun, preferably 12 ga.
3. 1911, preferably. 45ACP
4. Any firearm chambered in 10MM

The Rules:

1. All motions are up for debate until a general consensus is achieved.
2. The guide discussions are a no butt hurt zone.
3. Keep it PG-13...ish (No, Mole, you may not post pictures of scantily clad women.)
4. Robert's Rules will be randomly enforced by the Chair as arbitrarily as humanly possible.
5. Bribes are accepted, and encouraged.

·
Administrator
24,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't know. Duster tweaked when I suggested the list should be "fired and/or owned".

State your case and potentially face the wrath of the flying monkeys

·
Just a Man
14,185 Posts
Got all three..... Need more!

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
Does a 1911 count only if its .45acp?
Where the shotgun rule says, "preferably 12-gauge", I think that it is logical to add on to the 1911, "preferably .45". It isn't mandatory, but it is preferred. And it must be in the current collection, and the owner must have developed proficiency in its safe and effective use at a minimum distance of 10 yards.

·
Administrator
24,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where the shotgun rule says, "preferably 12-gauge", I think that it is logical to add on to the 1911, "preferably .45". It isn't mandatory, but it is preferred. And it must be in the current collection, and the owner must have developed proficiency in its safe and effective use at a minimum distance of 10 yards.
We're not getting in to training requirements for this list.

Permanent veto. Warning issued, points deducted, 5 minute major for excessive anal retention. To the sin bin with you.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Well I do not yet have a 1911, but I do have a .45; I also do not yet have a revolver lol.

However, I posit that at the bare minimum, a .380 ACP 1911 design should be considered to be the starting point, as the round is in fact another Colt round, and the 1911 design also comes in .380ACP, as well as up to 10mm. Limiting it to .45 precludes a lot of options for some people.

EDIT: Yup theres 9mm 1911s. Interesting. Would have thought they'd limit it to the Hi Power series designed also by Browning.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,998 Posts
Yep, 45 ACP preferred, and primary. 9mm is "meh" in a 1911, I'm sure Duster agrees with that ;) I have one, but it feels like
"not enough round" for the mighty 1911 chassis ;) I'll get some +P for it and use a lot of NATO 9mm I'm sure :rofl:

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,998 Posts
Well I do not yet have a 1911, but I do have a .45; I also do not yet have a revolver lol.

However, I posit that at the bare minimum, a .380 ACP 1911 design should be considered to be the starting point, as the round is in fact another Colt round, and the 1911 design also comes in .380ACP, as well as up to 10mm. Limiting it to .45 precludes a lot of options for some people.

EDIT: Yup theres 9mm 1911s. Interesting. Would have thought they'd limit it to the Hi Power series designed also by Browning.
:rolleyes:
You Think Too Much...
:rolleyes:

:p
:rofl:

Someone is making just about anything I can dream up,
and I have a wild imagination! You know this, CD! ;)

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
We're not getting in to training requirements for this list.

Permanent veto. Warning issued, points deducted, 5 minute major for excessive anal retention. To the sin bin with you.
Aawwww, man! Can we keep the "preferably.45" part, at least?

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
T he 38 Super has got to be included with the 1911. It's a classic cartridge for the arm as well.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Administrator
24,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aawwww, man! Can we keep the "preferably.45" part, at least?
Yeah. I think we can all dig the preferable guage/caliber addendum to all things placed on the list. That way people can at least collect partial credit.

·
Premium Member
35,988 Posts
Since JMB designed his original semi auto around a .38 super type of cartridge, then had to change it for the Army specs, I'd say caliber is optional.

What about a compromise? If a man has tried the 1911 and dislikes it...can he substitute another semi auto pistol, as long as it's got full size 1911 .45 ACP muzzle energy or better?

·
Administrator
24,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since JMB designed his original semi auto around a .38 super type of cartridge, then had to change it for the Army specs, I'd say caliber is optional.

What about a compromise? If a man has tried the 1911 and dislikes it...can he substitute another semi auto pistol, as long as it's got full size 1911 .45 ACP muzzle energy or better?
How about a general substitution rule? "If you have fired any gun on the list, but have chosen not to own one due to personal preference. You may substitute another like firearm of similar caliber and velocity."

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Don't know how the confusing rules apply - but I have a 12ga, and I really, really want a .357 revolver, and a 1911 in .45. I will get them, Lord willing! I have never had the opportunity to shoot a 1911, but I have shot revolvers.

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Don't know how the confusing rules apply - but I have a 12ga, and I really, really want a .357 revolver, and a 1911 in .45. I will get them, Lord willing! I have never had the opportunity to shoot a 1911, but I have shot revolvers.
I've got one of each so I'm current on "must have manly guns." The problem is, none of them get much range-love. I don't know when was the last time the shotty saw gunsmoke. The 1911 is the most fun but I still don't have near as many rounds through it as with many of my other pistols.

These are all "manly must haves" but when I pick things to go to the range with me, to teach someone else, or most other tasks, I find myself choosing something else.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
Yep, 45 ACP preferred, and primary. 9mm is "meh" in a 1911, I'm sure Duster agrees with that ;) I have one, but it feels like
"not enough round" for the mighty 1911 chassis ;) I'll get some +P for it and use a lot of NATO 9mm I'm sure :rofl:
Not sure I do agree. I've had two, twins, one a boy in 45 the other a sassy girl in 38 Super. I really liked that 38. She was a nasty little lead slinger. My first choice would be the double stack RIA 22TCM/9mm, but I don't spend inflated new prices for a non-need anymore. I'll just have to settle for a *yawn* 45 Government model.

My vote? Abstain. It's a nice gun and most collectors will have one. But I'm not sure it should be a man rule. There are better options in 45.

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Not sure I do agree. I've had two, twins, one a boy in 45 the other a sassy girl in 38 Super. I really liked that 38. She was a nasty little lead slinger.
I don't really have a good reason for it, but the .38 Super has long appealed to me.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
35,988 Posts
I don't really have a good reason for it, but the .38 Super has long appealed to me.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Ummm....115 grains at 1300 fps, or 90 grains at 1600 fps, out of a 1911?

That's 7.62 Tokarev territory there.;)

If The Army hadn't pushed for the .45, and Browning had continued development, we'd all be shooting .38 ACP instead of .380 ACP or 9 mm, as that was the round he was working on.

.38 ACP was a 9X23 mm load, 115 grains at 1150 fps.

Sound familiar?:rolleyes:

The 9mm was just a shorter case with higher pressures, to get the same result.

.38 Super is simply the +P+ and a little more PLUS on the .38 ACP.

1 - 20 of 277 Posts