Ear Protection

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by brjedi26, Jan 28, 2008.

What kind of ear protection do you use?

This poll will close on Feb 7, 2106 at 1:28 AM.
  1. Cheap earplugs.

100.0%
  2. Earmuffs.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Earmuffs with the mics.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. What kind of ear protection do you use?

I have my own set of earmuffs, made by Remington. Cost me about $10. They have a 26 decibel reduction rating. I like them. I'd like to get some of those with the mics, but I'm not ready to spend that much quite yet.

If you choose the other option, please explain.

2. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

I use Silencio and Winchester ear muffs ($10.00 each) when I shoot pistol. When I shoot rifle I use the foam ear plugs. or a couple of empty pieces of brass if I forget ear plugs. The ear muffs are always in my range bag. When I go chucking I sometimes forget ear protection.

3. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Sorry you're gonna have to speak up. I'm a little hard of hearing :wink: OH ear protection? I use ear muffs!

4. urotu

urotu Member

I use muffs. They were cheap enough and they work very well.

I do keep many earplugs around too, just in case, or for other shooters in the group, but for me, it's a set of muffs.

5. Cheap earplugs. Get a ton of them at work. Why just toss em.

6. elguapo

elguapo Guest

I voted on the Muffs: When shooting.
    At work, I used the cheap disposable earplugs. They were free, and encouraged everyone to take several for later use.

7. Earmuffs. 29db. Can't remember the brand. Plus I've been married almost 39 years so I've learned to tune out loud noises.

8. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Member

I had to go with other as I usually use Sonic ear plugs. But I have been known to use all of the above and at times nothing (not that I recomend that), so other seemed to be the best fit.

9. EMPTY BRASS?!?!?!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock: Now that is a MANS earplugs...holy crap!!!
    Hey, I heard (HA) that if you hold empty brass to your ears, you can hear the shooting range.....heh...

10. I use Winchester muffs. That being said the manufacturers say the best way is with foam plugs and muffs. :idea:

11. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member Member

I use the plugs the army issues. Have a ton of them and they are much better than regular earplugs not to mention no were near as bulky as muffs.

12. I use the 3 ring military issue ear plugs and earmuffs over top of those.

13. neothespian

neothespian Member

A good quality earmuff set (Sienhauser Isolators) designed for audio engineers. They include removable layers and small polymer pressure valves to equalize air pressure within the earmuffs so you can determine the level of protection you want. I originally grabbed them because I had lost my range muffs, but since I'm nearly deaf in my right ear, it turned out that I could get the sound balance right so I could protect my hearing (or at least what is left) and still be able to hear others.

14. Semi cheap ear plugs for me, i was going to post a pic of a guy plugging his ear with a gun, I just couldnt find it tonight, but I am sure most of you have already seen it.............

15. Troller98

Troller98 Member

I use a pair of Remington 28db (I think) earmuffs I picked up where I bought my chainsaw.

I remember an article I read somewhere that just using earplugs can still damage your hearing over time because the sound waves still travel through the parts of your ears that are not covered.

16. Ari

Ari Guest

when I shoot pistol I will use just muffs. If I am shooting high power rifle or someone is next to me on the line shooting high power rifle then both plugs and muffs. As you have to have both to get the DB level down to where rifle is safe. I seen data that says rifle and shotgun can be as high as 145 DB and if you have only a -23DB set of muffs on that can still leave you taking 122 DB.

17. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

I use the mic earmuffs. Got em from brjedi for my birthday. Used to just use the plain ones and before that just the plugs. Still have some plugs that I give out to unprepared shooters, and I do let others use my normal muffs too.

18. I use cheap earplugs... keep meaning to get muffs, the plugs just don't cut it.

19. Lashlarue

Lashlarue Guest

I be deaf, at least partially in both ears.The miltary didn't supply any hearing protection when I was in, nor did the refinery for the 1st ten years I worked.I was within 100 yds of an Atlas rocket when it launched at Cape Canaveral, sound waves so strong they literally knocked me out of the upper bunk I was sleeping in.10x louder than a 50mm gatling gun I saw test fired while at Eglin AFB in Florida.

20. I recently changed from the cheap earplugs to earmuffs, partly because I got tired of buying the plugs over and over. Never thought of washing them :shock:

To be honest, the muffs bug the heck out of me, but I payed for them so I am going to use them