Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking that a rifle in .22 Mag might not be a bad thing to add to the SHTF arsenal. Also thought that a good revolver might be a solid training tool for my CCW classes.

I don't have much experience with this particular cartridge. I've shot the Heritage revolver and handled the Taurus revolver; that's about it. I'm mostly a 9mm guy.

Thoughts? What are the best/most useful guns chambered for .22 Mag? Are there any to avoid? Problems with this particular cartridge? I'm figuring it would be mostly used for harvesting small game but wouldn't rule out the occasional zombie headshot and I've heard that a lot of poachers use them to take larger game so they must be somewhat effective.

Thanks in advance,

-'bridge

·
Village Amadan
593 Posts
It is an effective round for a lot of different uses. I love the 22 Mag for smaller critter control like possums/possum on the half shell, bandits, etc. They'll knock a coyote down in a heartbead and a good head shot would be a zombie stopper for sure. Accuracy is, of course best from a long gun (SAVAGE 93FVSS 22 MAG is a good one) but that doesn't mean you can't get great results from pistols (Ruger Charger for one).

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Savage also makes the Sport Striker, a bolt-action pistol, that comes in a few rimfire calibers, including .22WMR. It is supposedly very accurate (it is a Savage, right?) and comes with scope mounts, a 10" barrel, and a 5 round detachable magazine.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Is .22 Mag the same as .22 Long? I have a revolver (God, I haven't shot the thing since I was a kid) that chambers .22 Longs.

The only thing I would say is that it's not a very common round...might not make for the best SHTF weapon if it can't eat .22lr as well. You'd be better off with a sole .22lr IMO.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
22 mag and 22 long are not the same. The mag is slightly larger. Heritage Rough Rider has a very economical 22 revolver that comes with doth the 22 LR and 22 mag cylinder. You can get the best of both worlds that way, in a hand gun. Get a Henry Lever action in 22 WMR and you'll have the whole rig.

Got mine for 180 out the door

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Is .22 Mag the same as .22 Long? I have a revolver (God, I haven't shot the thing since I was a kid) that chambers .22 Longs.
The .22 RF commonly comes in 3 lengths, short, long, and long rifle. The short has a shorter case length than the other two, and a short lightweight bullet. The long and long rifle use the same slightly longer case but the long uses the lighter/shorter bullet of the .22 short. The long rifle uses a longer/heavier bullet. The chamber will fit any of the .22s that are shorter than what is stamped on the gun (shorts in a long, but no LRs in a long) but repeaters will often only work with the one size it is made for. Others handle all three equally well. Generally, as the cartridges get longer the power goes up.

.22 magnum uses a larger diameter case and is longer than the .22 S/L/LR rounds. The standard rimfires use a "heel base" bullet, the bullet diameter and case diameter are the same, the bullet has a "stem" or heel on the bottom that fits inside the case. The magnum round uses a larger diameter case because the .22 bullet fits inside it like most other cartridges. They use a much harder jacketed bullet as well, the standard rimfires with "jackets" are generally very thin and are often electroplated on. The magnums use thicker jackets with a lead core swaged into them.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I have a Savage 93 BTVS in 17 HMR and 22 Mag. I prefer the 17HMR for most varmint shooting and the 22Mag for edible small game. Both are very effective to 150 to 200 yards. I find the 17 HMR is more accurate, I get sub 1/2 inch at 100 yards with Winchester 20gr HP loads. I have never managed to get a sub 1 inch group with my 22 Mag. This is a photo of my 17 HMR, the 22 Mag looks the same. Lately I find 17 HMR ammo for about 2 or 3 dollars less than 22 Mag per box of 50.

Ron M.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
+1 on a heritage rough rider. I have a rough rider, they come with two cylinders a .22lr and a 22mag. You can change out the cylinder in >30 seconds. Paid $189 and its worth every penny

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
+1 on a heritage rough rider. I have a rough rider, they come with two cylinders a .22lr and a 22mag. You can change out the cylinder in >30 seconds. Paid $189 and its worth every penny

+1 I got mine for $179, 5.5 inch blued. One of my favorite guns. Oh hell, they are all my favorites!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Guns are like bumping uglies, it's never bad :D

·
Registered
799 Posts
Guns are like bumping uglies, it's never bad :D
Never say Never I have one word for you PRISON
I am not a fan of 22 mag it costs about the same as 9mm. Its not that much more effective thaan 22lr, and not that much cheaper than 223. I think if you have a 22lr and a 223 you have no need for a 22wmr.

Edit to accually reply to the thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts