Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the effective range on these HP carbines? I have a 995 on lay-away and can't wait to get it in my mitts. I have seen many posts with target pics and a lot of them are only at 50 yards. Do any of you shoot at 100 yards or is that just too far out for these carbines?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was busting clays out at 100 yds yesterday with not a great deal of effort. Im not sure how much energy it has out at that range but it will reach it.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I shoot gallon jugs and groups of beer bottles at about 100 yards wit my 995. Not much effort at all just positioning the shot. I always put holes in whatever it is i shoot. I wouldnt try to hunt anything at that range though, I just dont think it would get the job done...

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Im not getting that much drop at all really it depends how the wind is blowing.. Im shooting straight across an abandond oilfield site, its flat all the way across and on the other side is where i place the targets. I aim right for it and 9 times out of 10 I hit it, if like i said the wind isnt blowing strong.

Dont get me wrong Im not very accurate from that far being im only using my factory steel sights. Im sure if I had a scope on it I would do alot better.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I use cheap ammo( Blazer Brass) and my factory ghost ring. I hit metal pie pans at 100 yards consistently. I do not adjust for drop, so I'm guessing that 115 gr.fmj are shooting pretty flat at 100yards. As for being effective at 100yards, lets just say I wouldn't want to try to catch one in my teeth! :D Bulldog

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I use cheap ammo( Blazer Brass) and my factory ghost ring. I hit metal pie pans at 100 yards consistently. I do not adjust for drop, so I'm guessing that 115 gr.fmj are shooting pretty flat at 100yards. As for being effective at 100yards, lets just say I wouldn't want to try to catch one in my teeth! :D Bulldog
+1

·
Registered
3 Posts
dont know about my 40 cal H.P carbine but i had a ruger 40 cal carbine and i got a few groundhogs and wild cats with it out to about 70 to 100 yards with it.Ive got a 4095 with a 2.5 x 32 scope on it so ill let you know,i have some places i plan on useing it for coyotes and groundhogs.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Your typical plinker ammo in 115FMJ should be moving around 1400fps from the 995 at the muzzle...give or take.

At 100yards you are still close to the muzzle fps of the same ammo in a pistol. So effective as a plinker to 100yards is well within reason and 150yrds with some practice and whatever sighting method you prefer. Sofar im out to 75 yards and a semi fast rate of fire. I havent really "benchrest" tested mine yet. Im using a Ncstar halo type site without any magnification so for me about 100 yards is my goal.

Some of the light +P ammo is close to 1700fps from a 16" barrel and if its accurate and you add a scope then 150yards+ for "pie pans" seems within reason. "Effective" as in "against a hostile" target is a whole other story. I wouldnt want to be the one on the receiving end of any 9mm carbine at moderate ranges. The quality defense ammo (Barnes) is pretty nasty at carbine velocity.

The 25-75 yard range seems to be the "fun" zone for quick point and shoot plinking. Thats what i wanted in a medium pistol caliber carbine and the 995 does it well. :yay!:

The 4095 should do just as well IMO and with good ammo might even harvest a deer or two in a pinch.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
A firearms effectiveness is more a factor based upon then skill of the operator than the weapon itself. With that in mind I did a little research and the closest comparison I could find stats for was the British Sten gun.
The Sten gun, used by Great Britain throughout WWII and the Korean war, used a 9mm pistol round. (sound familiar). The Sten was a blowback-operated (again sound familiar) submachine gun firing from an open bolt position. (a slight difference) Plus, it had effective range of 100m. 100meters equals 109.361 yards.
For a side by side comparision:
Sten Hi Point 995
Weight (Mk. II) 7.1 lb(3.2 kg ) Weight (995) 5.75 lb (2.6 kg)
Length 29.9 in (760 mm ) Length 32.5 in (826 mm)
Barrel length 7.7 in(196 mm ) Barrel length 16.5 in (419 mm)

So, enjoy your 995 and use it for whatever you might need whether it be plinking, home defence. Just shoot it and have fun you'll come up with plenty of uses. Just watch out for those pesky zombie 'yotes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
for poops and grins I was shooting a 2'x2' steel target at 300 yd's the other day with my 124gr power pistol load (~1600fps) I had to aim about 2 foot high to hit it. i'll try the 10" paper plate trick at 200yds with this load to see how it groups next time out.

according to quickload a standard velocity 115gr will carry a 4" pistol muzzle energy to 80 yards and drops quickly after that. with a carbine specific load (slower powder) that same 115gr load will keep a 4" pistol energy to 140yds with 4.5" of drop. 124 and 147grain both have very simlar energy curves due to the loss in velocity but with more bullet drop. so 115 and 124gr both seem to win hands down in a carbine.

my conclusion. standard velocity 9mm max effective range is 80-100yds
+p probably around 100-120yds
and custom loads with slower burning powder 130-150yds

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I have been known to kill clay pidgeons at 200 yards with iron sight using my 995 so I would say around 115 to 125 yards is probably the max for defensive use but for plinking 200 yards is not out of reach

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you want to reach out and touch somebody with a 9mm carbine here is an idea I've been kicking around.

Here goes

Use powdered tungsten in a Corbins swag die in a rebated boat-tail design. Get the weight down to about 90 grains. With tungsten you can make the round smaller as it is more dense than lead, which leaves more room for powder in the case and so that your OAL will be in spec. Use a slow powder such as accurate arms No 7 or No 9. Around 7 grains I would think should fit. This combo should yield a high fps round that offers greater accuracy at long range for target shooting. To make these you can count on dropping 4 figures at Corbin's for dies real quick. But you will have custom 9mm rounds... YAY!

·
Registered
6 Posts
my05hammer

Don't know about the 995 but my 4095 with a weaver 4x and WWB 165 gr. fmj. target loads hit hard and tight with 8 inch groups at 100 yards easy. At 150 yards the target loads are starting to drop with only half of the 10 shots hitting the paper. At 200 yards I'm lucky to hit the paper twice. Haven't tried at 300 yards. As far as effective range inside of 100 yards results are impressive for the 40 S&W round. Most of what you would shoot at within that range would stop moving or run the other way.

As others have said above you can shoot them out further but that takes practice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We have a steel woodchuck at the 200 yard berm at the range that I get swinging with 120TC cast bullet loads out of my 995. I have an old Beeman SS1 scope on it, ( 2.5 power ), and the bottom reticle post makes for a perfect two hundred yard aiming point. Under 100 it's deadly, but if I were shooting at a threat at two,,, it would be a definately keep your head down!

Bill

·
Registered
88 Posts
I took mine out to the range and shot up some of those Zombie targets someone made on here a while back, I didn't notice much more than half and inch to an inch of drop? I could dig the rounds of the dirt they weren't very far in 1 or 2 inches.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I took mine out to the range and shot up some of those Zombie targets someone made on here a while back, I didn't notice much more than half and inch to an inch of drop? I could dig the rounds of the dirt they weren't very far in 1 or 2 inches.
at what distance?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts