Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm waiting on my 995, I have come up with several questions about the 995 and here's another:

What is the effective range of the 995 using a 115g TMJ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
My experience:

At 25 yards, one ragged hole.

At 50 yards, fist-sized groups are no problem.

At 100 yards, I haven't fired on paper but I can hit metal plates (12x6 inches) about every 4 shots out of five.

Enjoy and do your own testing! Let us know what you observe.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Effective for what purpose? if your talking about target shooting (from your choice of ammunition), the effective range would depend on your ability to hit your target at any given range and what type of sights you use.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Effective for what purpose? if your talking about target shooting (from your choice of ammunition), the effective range would depend on your ability to hit your target at any given range and what type of sights you use.
Since its pistol ammo I wouldn't say anything beyond 100yds is effective. Skill as always a factor but physics takes over and after that you are using the wrong weapon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have to agree with Rhodes. Like hunting wild boar with it..... you may nail a good shot, but you better have your fingers and toes crossed.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Since its pistol ammo I wouldn't say anything beyond 100yds is effective. Skill as always a factor but physics takes over and after that you are using the wrong weapon.
Witnesses from the 1st HPFF AZ Chapter Meet and Shoot can attest: Maximum range achieved by a 995 carbine using Remmington UMC brass: 300 yards on a 6'x2' Iron plate. 7 out of 10 rounds dead centre. Sure, it's no head shot.... but that is enough to hit most threats if you're desperate enough.

Hoping to better that later this month when I get my 4095 out there. Last time was impressive, but now I got better cameras and plan to document it better.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Witnesses from the 1st HPFF AZ Chapter Meet and Shoot can attest: Maximum range achieved by a 995 carbine using Remmington UMC brass: 300 yards on a 6'x2' Iron plate. 7 out of 10 rounds dead centre. Sure, it's no head shot.... but that is enough to hit most threats if you're desperate enough.

Hoping to better that later this month when I get my 4095 out there. Last time was impressive, but now I got better cameras and plan to document it better.
There is a difference between hitting a plate and killing game. Wouldn't want to just piss off a boar or worst wound it and not get a second shot and have someone else stumble upon a wounded animal. Use a rifle round .308 work very well.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Newb here to these forums so take this with a grain of salt..
Bought my 995 on 4/9 took it out to shoot on 4/11, my opinion on range..
I'd trust it out to 75 yards w/o a scope easy. (about a 14" circle) 4 outta 5 were on paper..one was touching the bull..and it has been pretty windy around here for ever. (Ohio) I can only imagine it w/ a scope..which is in the works for sure.
Very fun and capable firearm. (imho)

·
Premium Member
194 Posts

Hey Neo! What was the drop at that range? What type of scope was used?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Most military weaponry books and data sources (such as Jane's) list the max effective range of pistol calibre submachineguns as 200 meters (219 yards). That said this is also known to be a combination of volley fire, hopeful thinking, and diminishing returns. If the weapon has a sight setup to hit that distance and enough shots are fired the round is still effective if a shot is made. Not all smg's are capable of such accuracy though.

That said a HiPoint has a longer barrel than most smg's so if a good sight/scope setup was on it repeatable hits could be made out at least past 200m one would think. neo proves that point.

There's also the WWII DeLisle carbine which was known for making silenced .45 ACP hits out to at least 300 yards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Lisle_carbine
8" and change barrel length.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
After doing more study it looks like the effective range of a 9mm carbine is generally accepted as 150 yards.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have your wife shoot you beginning at 219 yards, then move out 25 yards at a time and report back. We need real data. Who knows, might make your wife happy too. Do it twice, once with +P and once with regular ammo. Have a feeling you won't report back....

Just trying to get the facts here.

Reactions: CowboyBob

·
Super Moderator
26,103 Posts
440 yrds with a sub2k...
And you're confusing the types of maximum range. There's max range, maximum effective range-point target, and maximum effective range-area target.

5.56 is listed as 3,600m, 550m, and 800m respectively. We shot 600m all day in the Marines. You're not going to convince anyone that the 9mm luger's maximum effective point target range is 400m.

Reactions: Rerun and moona11
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.