Epic fail!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by lklawson, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

No, you didn't. Standard jello calls for 2 cups per 3 ounces. 19-ish packets requires 38 cups of water.

You used 3 gallons of water. A gallon of water is 16 cups. 3 gallons of water is 48 cups.

Regular jello is 2.67:1, water to powder.
    You used a 6.7:1 ratio.
    The standard Knox ratio from the box is 4:1.

The thickest Knox recipe I've seen for ballistic gel is 6:1, the average is 8:1, and they all call for a remelt to increase the density. You didn't answer, or I didn't see, if you did the remelt.

I guarantee you, you're overthinking it is what killed your experiment. You took weak snack food 2.67:1 gelatin and tried to do something that called for a 4:1 professional cooking grade gelatin at a 6.7:1 ratio that was 251% more water than what the manufacturer specifies.

OldOutlaw likes this.
  2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

the vast majority of recipes I see call for 16 oz of powder to 1 gallon of water. Here's a typical example:

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/09/how-to-make-homemade-ballistic-gelatin-for-testing-bullet-impact/

I pretty agree with that and I said up front that I believed what caused the biggest part of the problem was I used the wrong ingredients. Right there at the bottom of my post right above where I say lesson learned, I say that I believe the problem was I used commercial table style flavored gelatin mix instead of the Knox brand gelatin.

I'm assuming that you just missed that.

It wasn't my mix ratio, which buy your recipe was between 2 and 4 times stronger than required. It was that I tried to use the wrong powder. Lesson learned. Next time I'll find the standard Knox unflavored powder.

And as for the remelt, I had two mix tubs, one for the first mix and one to reheat and pour out. There were no bubbles. None. It's straight up almost guaranteed that my problem was using the wrong ingredients.

Peace favor your sword ( mobile)

7000al likes this.

3. ^
    The Paul Harrell Method

TNTRAILERTRASH and Think1st like this.
  4. Rachgier

No, you used too much water for your gelatin. That's what I'm trying to tell you. All the ratios I gave you are water to powder, in ounces. The more water you add to the collagen, the weaker it gets. Plus you started with weak ass snack food. You diluted the crap out of it. You could have made your gelatin better by either increasing the powder or decreasing the water. Math and cooking. Two of my srongsuits.

ajole likes this.
  5. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Yeah, I know. You wanted to know what it looked like when red Jell-o blew up. You're bald. I get it. A little bit of the Gallagher blood gets into us when we loose our hair.

lklawson, Twisty and ajole like this.
  6. Rachgier

Gallagher had a bit better sense of humor though.

7. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Definitely not as dry.

8. Rachgier

And not as waterlogged as that jello.

9. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    He once killed three men in a bar with a pencil. With a fucking pencil! He's not the Boogeyman. He's the one you call to kill the Boogeyman. And he still can't make Jigglers.

7000al likes this.
  10. Rachgier

I'll try not to kung pao his puppy.

11. Rerun

Rerun Member

Jello used to make unflavoured gelatin...

eldar

12. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Just buy the Knox Gelatin. It isn't any jello by any stretch of the imagination!

lklawson likes this.
  13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    We have a box of Knox in the pantry. No idea why.

If you had used less water, like 3/4 cup per small packet of Jello, or 1.5 cups for the large boxes, it would have worked regardless of color and probably even sugar content.

End of story.

14. Rachgier

I have a bunch of it from when I was making edibles for a local grower. That happened with 3:1 liquid to powder ratio.

ajole likes this.
  15. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

If I were you Kirk I’d really show them next time and use no water.

16. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Karo syrup.

ajole likes this.
  17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That’s 16 ounces of straight gelatin powder...not 3 ounces of gelatin and 13 ounces of sugar.

That. Or you used the wrong ratio for your substitute ingredients. Which is also true.

Yes, it was. 100%.

Or....your problem was using too much water for your ingredients, which had far less gelatin by weight than the recipes you tried to use.

This is funny....you’ve gotten stuck on the ratio, but you never accounted for the fact that you don’t use weights to mix commercial flavored jello with sugar in it.

Don’t worry, we still love ya!:D

18. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Nah. I wanted to be able to compare the expansion, penetration, and results in the gel.

I'm familiar with the method that you're referencing and, it does "say" something. It's just not telling me the information I'm interested it.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

So what you're saying is that I used the wrong thing? That I should have used "the regular unflavored Knox gelatin?"

Now why does that sound so familiar?

Yes, I shouldn't have tried substituting a refrigerated desert, a ,"weak ass snack food," as Rach described it. That was kinda the point of my OP. To requote myself for about the 4th time, I'll use regular unflavored knox gelatin next time. I won't have to screw around with trying guess the right ratios of anything.