Estimating Distances

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Hermitt, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah

3. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

5. Hermitt

6. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I may invest in a range finder. Every time I go to the range, shooters have put up targets at various distances. Don't want to put a lot of money in one, maybe I can find a cheap one that will do the job.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's great if you are shooting tiny elk that are only 6 feet tall.:rolleyes:

If you are OK gut shooting animals, I guess that would work.

And yes, I am sort of joking. Maybe.:cool:

8. SWAGA

Well, you were gonna shoot it anyway right?

[​IMG]

I though we were talking about the two legged variety...

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You ever heard a wounded bunny cry?

It'll make you want to get it right the next time.;)

They scream like a baby, it's weird, and creepy.

10. SWAGA

Been hunnin' bunny wabbits.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    There you go...screw ranging, just walk them into the target.:D

12. SWAGA

Exactly, now were talking...works for everything

[​IMG]

13. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Been thinking about a range finder, or measuring wheel. But walking off distance always seemed to be close enough, my foot is a foot, a step is threee.

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    When you walk right up to the deer to get the range, please make a video of it.:p

15. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Oooooh! See by asking for methods of "estimating" range I thought he was looking for methods of "estimating" range, or ways to learn to "estimate" range fairly accurately....But instead just wanted links to a bunch of range finders so he doesn't ever in his life need to be good at doing it the brain way.

But yeah, walking it off has always been the easiest way for me, find something for size reference, if you're hunting mostly deer something like an atv, dirtbike, mountian bike or whatever has a reasonably close silouette is good practice, start at your reference and take however many paces you want your yardage and turn around and check your reference.

16. Hermitt

Actually, you are correct.

I have a 300' tape, so I was able to accurately measure off 30, 40, 50 and 60 yards for shooting my bow, but my 'pacing' them off was about 7 paces short @ 40 yards using a 'normal' gait. :eek:

17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If your "brain way" works well, cool. I'm pretty good at it, it pisses my head coach off, as I'll mark off ten yards or 20 yards, he'll say it's too close or too far, and try to pace it off...and I'm right on. I also teach orienteering to the scouts.:) Like you, my steps are 3 feet on flat ground.

I can do longer distances too, by eye. But if it really matters...it's good to be certain.
    Most serious bow hunters use a laser range finder, it's just normal.

I teased SWAGA, but range estimating reticles are good if the user understands them.

But really, your method isn't "estimating", it's using a known standard to measure a distance by personally applying that standard to the thing being measured. That measurement may not be the most accurate, it may even be worse than an estimate, but it's still not an estimate, really.;)

18. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

No its not estimating, its roughly measuring, but roughly measuring enough things will help you understand distances better and relating objects with distances, then it becomes estimating.

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Where did you establish your 'normal' gait? I'm 6 feet per pace (that's the old fashioned 2 steps, not the modern pirate map movie single step) on a football field, but I use 5 feet in field grass, sage brush, etc. BTW, the military marches using that same 30" step.;)

So for me, 40 yards in the field is 8 paces, or 16 steps, while on a sidewalk, it's closer to 6.5 paces, or 13.3 steps.

Anywho...measure your paces against the tape in the same type of area, or you'll be off.

20. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

A pace is generally a bit different than a normal gait depending on your shoe size and inseam, with a size 11.5 in boots if I pace with pretty close to one boot length between heel and toe each step I land within a foot or two of being right at 30yds or so, sure it adds or subtracts a few yards when you get above 200, but for anything say closer to 100 yards, 10, 15 even 30 yards difference won't make much difference in a shot.