Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read alot of posts on this site as far as CC and what you guys sleep with. I was wondering, if it is not too personal, have any of you ever been in a situation where you had to shoot or kill a man and if you did how did you feel about it. I have asked my uncle who is a Vietnam vet and he told me that it made him cold to other people he had to deal with. Of course, that is an extreme situation. I am wondering more like home invasions or times when you were not expecting to have to. I always think to myself I could do it if I have to, no problem, but I wonder deep down would it affect me.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Coming from me, the son of a Vietnam vet and the nephew of another Vietnam vet, it's tough for them to talk about. That being said, I just completed my first tour overseas as a member of the USAF. No, I never directly saw combat, nor did I ever have a situation present itself where deadly force was necessary. Just being there, in a country full of people who would rather see you dead than alive is a wake up call. What you end up thinking, and you become accustomed to, is the thought that no matter what, that person is going to die from either lead poisioning or a severe lack of blood or both. Honestly, it's something that's rather difficult to deal with once you get back to the place where you're "comfortable". Once you've spent any length of time in a situation like that, it's hard to revert back to the time when you were unaware of it.

Would I? Absolutely, without thought or hesitation. Would it affect me? Yes, it would.

The thing that I remind myself everyday is that #1, There IS a God. He has the power to give life, I do not. #2, I have the power to take that life, be it honorable or dishonorable, that power is mine. Hunting, fishing and other such activities, those animals or fish die so that I can give the gift of continued life to myself, my wife and family. Human life is much different. That person would have to become a direct threat to my continued life, or the life of someone else in order for me to take up arms against him and end his life so that you or I could continue to live. It's a hard thing to wrap your brain around, as it's morals, ethics, politics, and a bunch of other feelings and emotions all rolled up into a huge ball.

Just one question for you. Why is it that you're asking this question? I'm not judging you, just curious.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my neighborhood murder is a common thing (I am a young black male). I know people that seem not to care at all. Even though I often think I would be cold to things like that I often wonder if I could really be able to deal with it that's all. My intention was not to upset anyone or make anyone uncomfortable. If I did so I apologize.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
I've had to draw on people twice, but never have I actually had to fire. I'm just about positive I could pop somebody and it not bother me, but you never really know until it happens (hopefully it wont, but things aren't getting any better...). In both of my encounters, simply drawing and showing them that I wasn't afraid to use it was enough to make the threats leave.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Having witnessed the grotesque mutilations that modern munitions are capable of inflicting upon the human frame, I can in all honesty say that I hope I never have to shoot another human being. I don't hunt for the same reason. Having been in the presence of death has and continues to bother me, so I know that causing death would do so as well. That being said, I would do whatever it takes to prevent myself, my family, and even my neighbors from suffering a fate similar to those that I've seen before.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
In my neighborhood murder is a common thing (I am a young black male). I know people that seem not to care at all. Even though I often think I would be cold to things like that I often wonder if I could really be able to deal with it that's all. My intention was not to upset anyone or make anyone uncomfortable. If I did so I apologize.
You didn't make me uncomfortable at any point amchay, I was just curious as to what the motivation for the question was. Now that I know the details, it all makes sense. I find it good to know that as a young black male, you haven't seemed to fall into the same "habits" that many like you have, be they black, white, hispanic or other ethnic background.

If you need more personal answers, send a few PM's to those of us on the site that's seen combat and we'll let you know what we can, or what we're comfortable with.

·
Banned
5,315 Posts
Primal, with you being in the USAF I know you don't directly see combat like the Army and Marines. But do they still try and teach you how to deal with taking another life, or do they just tell you your not taking life, just taking out enemy targets? A buddy of mine in the army said they told him not to think of it as another human, just an enemy.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
I read alot of posts on this site as far as CC and what you guys sleep with. I was wondering, if it is not too personal, have any of you ever been in a situation where you had to shoot or kill a man and if you did how did you feel about it. I have asked my uncle who is a Vietnam vet and he told me that it made him cold to other people he had to deal with. Of course, that is an extreme situation. I am wondering more like home invasions or times when you were not expecting to have to. I always think to myself I could do it if I have to, no problem, but I wonder deep down would it affect me.
It would be pretty rare for you to find someone online who has killed someone and would be willing and/or legally able to talk about it. However, there is always this guy

welcome to the forum by the way, stick around.

·
Long Arm of the Law
631 Posts
You will never know how it will affect you till it happens. Then it is too late. There are untold thousands walking the earth today that deserve killing and have not been killed just because it is against the law to do so. Lucky for them more people abide by the law than go outside of it.

I have seen what guns can do to human flesh. I have never stuck a weapon in someones ear and pulled the trigger in any civilian type setting. Long ago I made peace with myself that if I needed to put someone down for breaking into my house or trying to cause harm to me or family I would do so and would be able to justify doing such.

It is my belief that a person has to have made up his mind what he will do prior to an incident happening. There is no time to consider the options when you hear the window glass break or the door being kicked open.

24 years in the Army changed me in many ways. I have plenty of pistols and long guns and do not hunt at all. I don't kill animals for the sake of killing. I leave them and people alone. I live in an isolated location and keep loaded guns thru out the house. I do not worry about the 4 legged animals, just the 2 legged kind.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have drawn my weapon 3 time, all 3 in the service performing VBSS (visit board search and seizure). I have NEVER had to pull the trigger. All 3 were during boardings in the persian gulf on Arab nationals. Luckily with 2 of the 3, the show of force was enough to diffuse the situation, the 3rd was for an emergency egress signal recieved from our boarding officer (heavily armed (exocet anti ship missles) Iranian patrol boat showed up unannounced to see what we were up to), in whitch case we had to draw to cover ourselves while inbound to the extraction point of the cargo ship. I have no doubt that I can and will pull the trigger if it should ever become a necessity. Would it affect me? Yes! I dont know how it would and I hope I never find out.

·
Registered
799 Posts
This id a resonable topic.i live in a bad neighborhood where shots ring out almost everynight.it's not the worst around here in macon,Ga but bad enough.as i said before im a victim of a home invasion.it happend on a sunday morning in broad day light.i wasn't fealing good so i was sleeping.i heard banging on lots of windows and sometimes my brother does that when he comes down unexpected so i though it was him.as i went to the back door it got kicked in and almost him me.i was already half asleep but that made everything seem just like a dream/not really happining.iafter i seen 3 barging in my instincs were not to look at them in the face.there were about 5 in all.i had just sold my gun about a week before this had happend.i kneeled down and they blind folded me and the fealing,mentaly and phsicacly were more than my body could take.they picked me up and had to help me walk and put me in front of the dor in the front.they had someone watching me the whole time and keep saying if you move im going to blow your fkn brains out.so shortin this,it got quiet so i pulled the blindfold off and called 911.one guy came back in i seen his face and he reached in his pocket and i darted out the door.if i would have my gun i know with no doubt i would have shot all 10 rnds into him.i could have ended the life of a 18 or 19 yr old.but as i still se it today i might feal that he would had a better raiseing in life but i wouldn't regret it at all.now im ready for the next time it happens,hopefully i'll have my shotgun by then.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
This id a resonable topic.i live in a bad neighborhood where shots ring out almost everynight.it's not the worst around here in macon,Ga but bad enough.as i said before im a victim of a home invasion.it happend on a sunday morning in broad day light.i wasn't fealing good so i was sleeping.i heard banging on lots of windows and sometimes my brother does that when he comes down unexpected so i though it was him.as i went to the back door it got kicked in and almost him me.i was already half asleep but that made everything seem just like a dream/not really happining.iafter i seen 3 barging in my instincs were not to look at them in the face.there were about 5 in all.i had just sold my gun about a week before this had happend.i kneeled down and they blind folded me and the fealing,mentaly and phsicacly were more than my body could take.they picked me up and had to help me walk and put me in front of the dor in the front.they had someone watching me the whole time and keep saying if you move im going to blow your fkn brains out.so shortin this,it got quiet so i pulled the blindfold off and called 911.one guy came back in i seen his face and he reached in his pocket and i darted out the door.if i would have my gun i know with no doubt i would have shot all 10 rnds into him.i could have ended the life of a 18 or 19 yr old.but as i still se it today i might feal that he would had a better raiseing in life but i wouldn't regret it at all.now im ready for the next time it happens,hopefully i'll have my shotgun by then.
awesome post, really gets the brain thinking. as for myself, i may be a little twisted. and i'll try to explain this. i am constantly around family and friends except for the 40 or so hours i work in a week. my g/f, whom i love to death, my mother and father who are still practically raising me. my brother, sister and thier kids. i would die for them all no questions asked if somebody even tried to harm them. if a bg arent where they were supposed to be i would stop that threat. IMMEDIATELY. as of now, i can tell you that i dont think it would affect me in the least. i'd watch that person who was trying to harm me and family and friends draw his last breath and wouldnt think twice about it. shouldnt be sticking his business in front of my shotgun.

but then again, its never happened to me. i wont know till, or if the time comes.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It's never happened to me before but I don't think it would affect me one bit. If somebody puts my life, or especially the lives of my loved ones in danger, I'll kill them with pleasure. I think I'll actually feel better afterwards too. I'll sleep better at night knowing I gave a potential murderer a one way ticket to hell.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
All I can say is, thank God for my senior NCOs. It was on guard duty and a self defense situation. It affects you, but use your resources. Talk to someone. After talking to a lawyer of course.

·
Registered
855 Posts
What we were taught is that once you fire you own that round, all the damage it causes and the consequences that follow. Never once was the emotional damage to you mentioned, nor anything about someone to talk to if it should happen. 2 deployments boarding merchant vessels searching for oil smugglers in the Persian Gulf in 01, and searching for terrorists in the Med in 03. You would think something like that would have come up at some point in time. I know, Navy, not really combat intensive unless your spec-op but performing MIO you risk the same things but other than a lot of target time on a pitching deck we were never prepared for the aftermath of what could happen, only how to perform if the SHTF. Im just glad I NEVER had to do it. jmstevens2 Im glad you had a good COC for your situation, I have no doubt that helped tramenduosly!

·
Registered
143 Posts
great thread, thanks for those stories of real life threats.

I think most of the time, drawing your weapon is enough to stop the BG. But if it's not, and you're comfortable with your firearm, I'd bet that you'd pull the trigger without much hesitation, because it's your natural reaction to a threat of violence. but I know that I would likely be permanently affected from taking someone's life, even if completely justified. If I was convinced that someone was going to kill me/seriously injure me enough to pull the trigger, it would likely be a traumatic event for me. But even defensive gun ownership, I believe, is a psychological line that is crossed. you've already started thinking about violence, and have a tool of death around you.

most people don't own guns because they hate violence. they don't want to think about it. they don't want to imagine it happening to them. and as controversial as my position might be on here, i'm all for it. if you don't want to own a gun, and don't think you'd ever need one, I'd recommend not getting one. I'd rather someone live their life in unarmed carefree naivete than living in armed fear. real advancement in culture/humanity is achieved much more easily in the former situation than the latter, in my opinion. when you can stop worrying about survival and thinking about other things. having a peaceful society is worth a LOT. those of us that live in developed nations and safe areas are truly lucky. for us weirdos that think about the TSHF/TEOTWAWKI scenarios regularly and plan accordingly, I recommend that we keep enough arms and ammo to protect our loved ones when it does come to reality, and teach them to use them then. i'm sure that there are people here that have grown up with firearms and maybe it's just the same as carrying a wallet to them, but I think most of us here are different.

I'm sorry your neighborhood has these problems, Ampchay. I'd recommend getting out of it if/when you have the chance. the ongoing threat of violence hardens you, I think any vet would agree. you suppress your emotions and do what needs to be done to survive. and I think living in those sorts of conditions breeds depression, and depression can cause criminal behavior. so if you see some people in your neighborhood that seem cold, I'm sure they are. and they're probably not very happy in life either.

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Nope and I hope the situation never arrises. Could I? Undoubtably. If its me or you, I guarantee it won't be me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts